Today my uncle lent me his gibson 335 dot and guild 12 string acoustic to use for a few weeks since he has like 20 guitars. Anyway, he said to do work on the guild, so i did. I wiped down the dust and it looks brand new! I went to sam ash today and bought a set of strings and tuned this baby up. The only problem is that the action is incredibly high. My questions are...

Do 12 strings usually have higher tensions? It seems allot harder to play than my 6 string.

I took a look at the truss rod, and there seems to me two truss rods instead of one. (im assuming due to the extra strings) How should i adjust the trus rods? As in which of the two rods. The truss rods also dont use allen keys, it looks like you would use some sort of a wrench. Would adjusting these help me lower the action? (it seems very high and difficult to play) The neck also does seem to have somewhat of a bow in it.

'67 Gibson SG Standard
MXR Phase 90 | Ibanez Tubescreamer TS9 | Vox V847A Wah-Wah
'65 Fender Bassman
Well -- you may want to give your uncle a call to see if he knows what's up here. He may like his guitar that way. But yes, 12strings do have higher tension because of the extra strings. Often, owners of 12 string guitars will tune them down a step to relieve some of the tension and use a capo when they play. Adjusting the truss rod here sounds like the wrong course of action here -- that's for adjusting neck relief, not for adjusting the action. You adjust the action by lowering the nut and the bridge saddle. But a couple questions may help everyone answer your questions: First, did you change string guages? Also, when you say the neck has a bow, is it convex or concave as you look down the neck?

For now, you may want to loosen the strings while you store it.

Those are nice guitars -- your uncle's a nice guy! You'll have fun with 'em.
I'd recommend tuning down a half step to Eb standard
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
I put 10's on it, i suppose they are different guages knowing that my uncle plays mainly folk music. When i said the neck had a bow, i meant it looked slighly bent upward. I will try to tune it down this afternoon.

'67 Gibson SG Standard
'65 Fender Bassman
I know this seems like a weird question, but could someone link me to an online 12 string tuner than can tune to eb half step?

'67 Gibson SG Standard
'65 Fender Bassman
Quote by AndrewDulina
I put 10's on it, i suppose they are different guages knowing that my uncle plays mainly folk music. When i said the neck had a bow, i meant it looked slighly bent upward. I will try to tune it down this afternoon.

That backward bow may be caused by your strings being too light -- most likely, 12s or 13s should be on it. I think it may be a good idea for you to take it to a good luthier -- It sounds like you may not be completely comfortable with working on a gutar like this, and your uncle's nice Guild may not be the best instument to start learning on. At least have them take a look.

Good Luck
Quote by milagroso
That backward bow may be caused by your strings being too light -- most likely, 12s or 13s should be on it. I think it may be a good idea for you to take it to a good luthier -- It sounds like you may not be completely comfortable with working on a gutar like this, and your uncle's nice Guild may not be the best instument to start learning on. At least have them take a look.

Good Luck

No. 10s are the standard 12 string guage. Also AFAIK a neck bow problem isn't instantaneous, it takes a while to develop.

TS, no idea where you can get an online tuner that tunes flats :/ Don't you have a guitar tuner? Mine picks up the different octaves, but if yours doesn't just match them by fretting the lower octave at the 12th fret.
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
just to put this out there im not new, ive been playing for almost 2 years. i also figured it out and i decided to tune down a whole step instead of a half and put on a capo, works like a charm.

'67 Gibson SG Standard
'65 Fender Bassman
Quote by AndrewDulina
just to put this out there im not new, ive been playing for almost 2 years. i also figured it out and i decided to tune down a whole step instead of a half and put on a capo, works like a charm.

After re-reading your post, I think I mis-interpreted when you said the neck was "bent slightly upward" that that meant there was backbow --meaning the neck bowed toward the middle of the fretboard. I think now what you were describing was neck relief, which is a good thing . I also don't want to marginalize you skills, just try to steer you away from adjusting the truss rod on a really nice guitar if you weren't 100% sure about what would happen. I've been around guitars my whole life -- my three older brothers also play and we all like to tinker with our guitars, and I won't touch a truss rod because I know that the margin for error can be very small (leave it to those with insurance).

Anyway, I'm glad the capo worked for you, have fun with those beautiful guitars!
Thanks, i plan to use the guild more because im afraid to take the gibson dot out of the case, haha. If i find my camera ill be glad to post pictures.

'67 Gibson SG Standard
'65 Fender Bassman