What can I add or do to my car to get better gas mileage? I know just driving slower, not accelerating as fast and braking as hard helps but what else? I tried STP gas treatment but didnt seem to work. What about air filters, oils, etc? I am also adding a cold air intake and a short ram intake in about 2 months. Im not really doing that for gas mileage, but would that help at all either?

Thanks in advance for any help.
And we will send you to whatever God you wish...
Listen to my song in my profile. Its called Mileage, so it will in fact help your car's mileage.

I heard somewhere that when you pump gas slower you get more concentrated fluid. But I'm not about to try it cause gas pumps waaaaaaaaaay too slow as it is. If I wanted to stand around squeezing something I'd poop my pants in public.
We're only strays.
Other than slowing down the only thing I can think of it lighten your load and not carry a bunch of weight in your trunk.
(This statement is open to sarcastic comments >.>
Don't accelerate to red lights, you should get your foot off the gas and roll to it, unless your going way too slow then give a small pulse.

On second thought, try to roll without gas usage as much as you can.
My meh gear:
ESP LTD MH-400NT
Peavey Raptor Plus EXP
Digitech RP90
Digitech Bad Monkey
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi (WTS)
Crate GT15 (SHIT)

GAS:
Peavey 6505 112 combo
MXR 10-band EQ
Ibanez TS-9
Boss HR-2
Compressor (open to suggestions)
Quote by _Ixnay_
Other than slowing down the only thing I can think of it lighten your load and not carry a bunch of weight in your trunk.
(This statement is open to sarcastic comments >.>

Are you saying he needs a diet to decrease the size of his fat butt?!?

LMAO
We're only strays.
a cold air intake will increase your gas mileage a little. make sure you have a clean air filter and i good oxygen sensor. a oxygen sensor makes a HUGE difference in gas mileage
Member 1 of the FINAL FANTASY VII club
Siphon gas from others.
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
a new performance airfilter (K&N) helps,
also extractors, new tires, and constantly fueling up with 98 octane petrol (cleans your engine and thus running more mileage)

also don't use air-con if you don't need it
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Make sure you switch out your oil filter every 3000 miles or so, and use either Valvoline Synthetic or Royal Purple oil in your system, also, don't go cheap when it comes to oil filters. NAPA makes a pretty good oil filter out of aluminum with a better oil flow system, so I use that. There's also an oil additive put out by Lucas Oil that you can put in your oil every time you change it out, and it will make the oil a bit more viscous, but it won't break down and it helps your engine out in terms of better lubrication.
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s
Quote by Aftertime

This is what I do. Unfortunately I live in FL and it gets soooo disgustingly hot in the summer. But when the windows are down and you're going its just as good as AC. You just have to have some water on hand for when you're stopped lol.
We're only strays.
Going slower doesn't necessarily give you better mileage. My Lexus gets optimum mileage at around 75 mph (120 kph).
Last edited by dylpikle9 at Apr 13, 2008,
Having all your windows down is worse for your mileage than A/C. A/C is actually one of the lesser draws on your mpg.

Be VERY conscious of the gas you buy. Stay away from 10% ethanol, although that's becoming harder and harder. Right now, only Sunoco and Mobil carry gas without 10% ethanol. The problem is, 10% ethanol cuts your mpg by about 10-15%. Also, keep your tires at the recommended psi.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
Having all your windows down is worse for your mileage than A/C. A/C is actually one of the lesser draws on your mpg.

please explain

turning AC on usually would kick you down a gear (auto cars), or just making you rev higher since the compressors running along with the belt

for auto cars service your gearbox might help, smoother gear changing = good
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by uvq
refuelling early in the morning, its more concentrated

Never thought of that.
Quote by Lil Macker
I voted 9, cause I would only let my mum give me a handjob...

Quote by brennsy
SathiaSun for president

Un-Banned! Boy, does it feel great to be back.
Join the Bear Grylls Foundation group!
have your windows down below fourty miles per hour but turn on the AC above that and that will save you gas
Quote by Aftertime
please explain

turning AC on usually would kick you down a gear (auto cars), or just making you rev higher since the compressors running along with the belt

not unless your car is immensely gutless

its a proven fact, your cars aerodynamic efficiency is the key element in fuel mileage, and opening a window ****s that up big time

Keep your filters clean, your tires properly inflated

invest in a cold air intake, and an exhaust system, they will improve volumetric efficiency and just make your car run better in general
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Quote by IlikeTheSKA
Siphon gas from others.

lol that does work

but yea if u dont drive like an idiot all the time your gas mileage will probly go up
Someone mentioned this at the end of their post, so, just in case it was overlooked...keep your tires inflated to their recommended psi. I usually go 1 or 2 psi more on standard tires. It takes a little experimentation, since over-inflation can cause abnormal wear that will shorten the life of the tires. I've found 1 or 2 psi to be safe for our one vehicle. Now, my other vehicle is a different story. I have LT tires on it for heavy loads. I can pump those tires to 80 psi max, but, I found the best wear vs. milage is with the fronts at 65 psi to support the Cummins Turbo Diesel just above them and the rears set to at least 60 psi depending on the load I put in the bed.

Overall, the best milage is going to be squeezed out by keeping your vehicle well maintained. By this I mean check the spark plug gap yearly and reset if needed. Follow the recommended fuel filter changes for your car. Transmission fluid and filter changes as required. Switching to synthetic oil has been shown to help some vehicles get better milage. If your car has a cap and rotor, inspect and replace if necessary. Spark plug wires can also be a source of problems if they haven't been replaced for years.

The best way to increase milage is just be consistant when driving. Keep your foot out of it when it doesn't have to be in it. With that said, I read a study several years ago that proved 3/4 acceleration yields the best economy. That is, from a dead stop, apply 3/4 throttle until you reach your desired speed, then, simply maintain the speed you want. The study showed that even though you use more gas at 3/4 throttle than at 1/4, or even 1/2 throttle, you get to the speed you want quicker and are off the gas sooner as a result, thus using less gas in the long run. Pay attention to your surroundings when driving and use them to your advantage. As an example, when you see a hill coming put a little speed on early to help build momentum so you don't have to get on it harder once on the hill.

One other thing, stay away from E85 gas. The stuff is junk. Article after article has shown that even though it costs less per gallon, the milage is so bad you end up spending more in the long run. There are a couple cars that it does seem to perform similar to normal gas in, but, not many. I saw a list of the Top 10 worst gas milage cars/trucks and #10 on the list read, "anything that uses E85 ethanol."

Outside of the above, the only other thing is buy one of those ForTwo's that are the size of a gocart and gets something like 50+ mpg. Of course, they're so small if you ever hit something like the size of a squirel, you'd probably get killed in the collision.
-Maintain oil and all fluids
-Remove extra weight, including rarely used seats.
-Travel at speeds of a constant 50 mph (equilibrium in most vehicles)
-Brake and accelerate as little as possible (On some bits it takes a lot of practice. Such as hairpin turns, timing lights, etc.)

Using methods like these, people have been known to coax 24 mpg vehicles up to 100 mpg.
Is it a bad thing if one of your testicles is larger then the other two?
Carbon fiber hood. Makes your car look sexy at the same time.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
Make sure the car is in optimum condition, and you should try to drive steadily, with as little full stops as possible.

Also, when you hit a steep downhill, roll it down on neutral.

At all times when you're driving, try to keep your rpm from going over 2000.
When accelerating, don't let it go over 2,800.
Last edited by Tommy[fin] at Apr 14, 2008,
um, you guys...

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/gastips.asp

EDIT:
[quote="'Tommy[fin"]']Make sure the car is in optimum condition, and you should try to drive steadily, with as little full stops as possible.

Also, when you hit a steep downhill, roll it down on neutral.

At all times when you're driving, try to keep your rpm from going over 2000.
When accelerating, don't let it go over 2,800.
I used to routinely shift in the 6 to 8k range, but then I realized that... y'know... gas is ****ing expensive. Now I shift at around 4... unless I'm passing someone. Then I usually run it right up to 9.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Last edited by BigFatSandwich at Apr 14, 2008,
Quote by BigFatSandwich
um, you guys...

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/gastips.asp

EDIT:

I used to routinely shift in the 6 to 8k range, but then I realized that... y'know... gas is ****ing expensive. Now I shift at around 4... unless I'm passing someone. Then I usually run it right up to 9.

Wait... You live in america, and have manual transmission?

My props to you!
[quote="'Tommy[fin"]']Wait... You live in america, and have manual transmission?

My props to you!
haha thank you, sir. I accept your props!
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Quote by Aftertime
a new performance airfilter (K&N) helps,
also extractors, new tires, and constantly fueling up with 98 octane petrol (cleans your engine and thus running more mileage)

You will burn your valves right up if your motor wasnt designed to run something with that low of a flashpoint. You might get through 1/4 tank of gas of high octane before your motor dies.
Why are we so wicked indecisive
Let's hit the streets with toy explosives
And let's enjoy what we have
Add water! more liquid=more mileage, or it'll just phuck everything up!
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.
newer smaller tires should do it.

less mass to push means less power wasted.

but 4 new tires will cost you A LOT of money.. but if you drive alot it may pay for itself sooner than later.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Kivarenn82
newer smaller tires should do it.

less mass to push means less power wasted.

but 4 new tires will cost you A LOT of money.. but if you drive alot it may pay for itself sooner than later.

NO! it's actually the opposite cause you can run at a faster speed at less rev's with larger rubber
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.
^ Yeah, but it's more unsuspended weight, which sucks mileage considerably. Believe me, I went from 28" diameter tires to 31" on my Jeep, and the gas mileage dropped a bit. And then if you do the lower gear ratio to compensate, you're revving the engine higher, so you still don't get the gas mileage back.

And for you 4x4 drivers out there, if you want better gas mileage, you can disconnect the front drive shaft. This lowers the drag on your drivetrain.
Hi, I'm Peter
I recently installed a K&N cold air intake in my Ford F250 (V8 gas hog, 13mpg highway). I noticed a 3-4 mpg improvement. Exhaust mods will come next. That should help a little too.