Seriously. I'm going to be buying a new guitar this summer and I've pretty much got it narrowed down to either an ESP EC-1000, Jackson RR3 (or better if I get the cash), or a Dean MLK. Honestly, I've never played an actual ESP. But all I hear is REALLY great things about the company. LTD has mixed reviews, but the one I played was def worth it.

But why, why oh why, can I not get a RR shaped guitar in America with TWO ****ING PICKUPS?!?! That's all I want, a single neck pickup. Do they think NO ONE will buy the SV standard? Must we have Alexi's name on it??? It's not that I don't love alexi, I just don't really want to pay 1100 for his name and only ONE PICKUP!!!)

Ok. Sorry for that. I just had to get it out.

But honestly, I am in a spot where I need something with a neck pickup. Why? I play in a jazz band. You ever heard Jazz through an EMG 81? Nope. Doesn't happen. I would honestly LOVE just a one pickup guitar, because of the simplicity of it, and all I use in my free time and now my writing (I'm just starting) is the bridge pup. But I must have that extra pickup.

So my question is, why does ESP keep half their brand overseas? I would love even a LTD SV shape, but I can't get it. Why?!?! There is a whole COUNTRY of market they are NOT selling to?

Am I the only one who looks at this situation and says, "W.T.F. ESP?!?!"
Last edited by edusty2010 at Apr 13, 2008,
Because Japan gets all the cool **** first, like most video games and robots.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Probably because Japanese guitarists buy more ESP Les Paul rip-offs than we do.

You could always import a guitar from Japan.
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
um dude cuz esp started in japan. so im guessing they got to do there thing in hometown first then spread out.
RAW ROCK KILLS!- ShowBread
Hello, My name is Armando and im your bunny
It makes me sad cause I'd really love to see their whole lineup, but hey; ESP is a Japanese company.

They're great guitars, by the way.
Quote by HardAttack
Probably because Japanese guitarists buy more ESP Les Paul rip-offs than we do.

You could always import a guitar from Japan.

How exactly would I even go about that? and anything with the word "importing" in it that I've ever heard has ended up costing a bajillion dollars lol.
ESP's are decent. LTD's are horrible in my experience.
mmmmmmhmmm

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
Quote by edusty2010
How exactly would I even go about that? and anything with the word "importing" in it that I've ever heard has ended up costing a bajillion dollars lol.

The only expensive part of it would be shipping it to yourself from Japan to the states. You could check out a Japanese guitar website, or perhaps get someone over there to buy one for you, then ship it. Or maybe even eBay.

Who knows, maybe if you check eBay or Craig's List someone in the states may be selling one.
mmmmmmhmmm

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
Quote by HardAttack
The only expensive part of it would be shipping it to yourself from Japan to the states. You could check out a Japanese guitar website, or perhaps get someone over there to buy one for you, then ship it. Or maybe even eBay.

Who knows, maybe if you check eBay or Craig's List someone in the states may be selling one.

Oh yeah, I forgot about ebay...

*hits self*

I still just really wonder what is the business standpoint of NOT putting your product in a place it WILL be bought. I mean the theory that they are just kind of testing the waters in America and that if they do well enough they'll put the full line out is valid. But if it's fact why isn't their documentation saying so by ESP?
Well a lot of business plans are based off of demographics and statistics. They probably looked at the sales records of that type of guitar in the US, then they realized that a company like Fender probably had the market pretty much sealed up. So then they'd come to the conclusion that they wouldn't make enough profits in the US markets. I find that Jazz is way more prominent and developed in the US than it is in Japan, so they probably still have a chance to get a large piece of the Jazz guitar action in Japan.

Just a theory. I could be way off.
mmmmmmhmmm

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
Quote by edusty2010
So do you think EVENTUALLY America will get the full lineup, or will we always be screwed?

funny, over here in australia guitars cost 2x or 3x what they cost in america (after currency conversion).

I really feel for you
Quote by Generalpwnt
Because Japan gets all the cool **** first, like most video games and robots.

.............................................................................lol
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
They can't sell the SV because it's the same shape as the Jackson RR, and therefor will infringe on copyright laws that don't exist outside the US.

Nevertheless, you can still find it online. It'll be about $2500 for the guitar and about 250 for shipping.
use ishibashi to order an sv.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
IDK maybe ESP is a Japanese guitar manufacturerereereererer derpiedi derpidei do?
No man is your friend, no man is your enemy, but every man is your teacher.

When he asked for John Myung, John Myung said:"Who the hell is John Myung?"

Proud User of Ibanez, Korg, Rocktron, ENGL
Like others said, ESP is a Japanese company and they can do as they please back home :P

I doubt all models of Fender or Gibson are offered everywhere in the world. (Except Japan probably, I've seen those guitar shop pictures from there and they had more sh*t they you'd see here in North America )
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
ESP can't sell some (ok....most) of it's lineup in the USA because of the amount of companies that sue ESP because of copyright infringement (Translation: making more money than them with a guitar that has a body shape they designed).

ESP has been sued by Jackson (RR Body Shape), Gibson (Explorer Shape.....see MX250), Fender (I don't really know) and PRS (some inlay thing).
You think you have problems?! I can pay AUD$180 for a single Seymour Duncan pickup in Australia, or I can import one from the US for half the price even including the shipping! Also I can buy a Japanese guitar from the US cheaper than in Aus even though it is nearer?!! eh?! weird.
Quote by guitarnoize
You think you have problems?! I can pay AUD$180 for a single Seymour Duncan pickup in Australia, or I can import one from the US for half the price even including the shipping! Also I can buy a Japanese guitar from the US cheaper than in Aus even though it is nearer?!! eh?! weird.

Hey, I'm sorry, honestly I feel for you Aussies.

I was only wondering why ESP didn't deal specific models in the US and only in japan/other foreign countries/etc. I wasn't trying to say America has it the worst, of we're getting the short end of the stick or anything, I was only wondering why the hell I can't go to GC or Sam Ash and pick up an ESP in the RR style. I wasn't aware of the copyright/lawsuit thing either.

Didn't mean to offend anyone, so if I came across that way I apologize, I was just curious.

It's probably already been said, but the reason why ESP doesn't sell their SV series in the states is because Jackson filed a lawsuit to prevent them from selling RR shaped guitars over here. If you haven't noticed, the Alexi guitars that are sold in the states are shaped a bit differently than the ones sold overseas. That's to avoid having Jackson on their back about it.

One option is to hit up guitarjapan.com with an email and ask them to order you an ESP SV or Edwards E-RV-148 (basically an SV with EMGs and a lower price tag, and they are generally considered to be just as good quality wise as ESP). Shipping is about $100, but that's a lot cheaper than what you'll get at other importers like Ishibashi.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
if you wanted an RR shape that you might as well go with the original though because to get on from japan is crazy because the shipping might end up more than the actual guitar lol
Quote by edusty2010
Seriously. I'm going to be buying a new guitar this summer and I've pretty much got it narrowed down to either an ESP EC-1000, Jackson RR3 (or better if I get the cash), or a Dean MLK. Honestly, I've never played an actual ESP. But all I hear is REALLY great things about the company. LTD has mixed reviews, but the one I played was def worth it.

But why, why oh why, can I not get a RR shaped guitar in America with TWO ****ING PICKUPS?!?! That's all I want, a single neck pickup. Do they think NO ONE will buy the SV standard? Must we have Alexi's name on it??? It's not that I don't love alexi, I just don't really want to pay 1100 for his name and only ONE PICKUP!!!)

Ok. Sorry for that. I just had to get it out.

But honestly, I am in a spot where I need something with a neck pickup. Why? I play in a jazz band. You ever heard Jazz through an EMG 81? Nope. Doesn't happen. I would honestly LOVE just a one pickup guitar, because of the simplicity of it, and all I use in my free time and now my writing (I'm just starting) is the bridge pup. But I must have that extra pickup.

So my question is, why does ESP keep half their brand overseas? I would love even a LTD SV shape, but I can't get it. Why?!?! There is a whole COUNTRY of market they are NOT selling to?

Am I the only one who looks at this situation and says, "W.T.F. ESP?!?!"

The Japanese version has an identical shape to the RR (minus the cut-out). There was going to be the same shape available, but Jackson threatened to take ESP to court if the model went into production in the US.
Last edited by FinalDivinity at Apr 14, 2008,
Quote by mafropetee
It's probably already been said, but the reason why ESP doesn't sell their SV series in the states is because Jackson filed a lawsuit to prevent them from selling RR shaped guitars over here. If you haven't noticed, the Alexi guitars that are sold in the states are shaped a bit differently than the ones sold overseas. That's to avoid having Jackson on their back about it.

One option is to hit up guitarjapan.com with an email and ask them to order you an ESP SV or Edwards E-RV-148 (basically an SV with EMGs and a lower price tag, and they are generally considered to be just as good quality wise as ESP). Shipping is about $100, but that's a lot cheaper than what you'll get at other importers like Ishibashi.

I have heard of the Edwards brand, and thanks for the direction to the website, I had no idea it existed! That's actually a really good business idea. But unfortunatly I click on the "Edwards" brand of guitars and, still, no SV. Is there something I'm missing?

Thank you for the info on shipping, I figured it would be MUCH more expensive.

If you wouldn't mind either linking me to a page with info on the E-RV-148 or do you know anything about it? I'm assuming it's 24 frets, 25.5 scale, EMG 81/85 (or 60, ESP seems to be fond of that). LFR I'm assuming? Also, is it a bolt-on neck or set? Generally with V's bolt ons don't bother me, but I'm afraid sense this one has the cut out it may get in the way if it is a bolt-on.
Last edited by edusty2010 at Apr 14, 2008,
Found some info on the E-RV0148!

OFR
EMG 81/81
Set neck
Grover Tuners
Alder body/3 piece maple neck
Neck through body
24 fret 25.5" scale

This is almost EXACTLY what I'm looking for. Seriously. How much does one of these new cost? I'm off to check ebay, maybe I can find an average used price there for them in the states. Will edit when found.

One on Ebay, completely new. I may be able to scrounge the cash, but right now I'm thinking used.

I also may go with a Jackson RR3 Pro and dump EMG's in it, (81/85), that will have the LFR though. But I'm not too worried about that as I have a pretty good handle on how to set up and maintain a FR.
Last edited by edusty2010 at Apr 14, 2008,