I figured id put this here cuz its such a basic question. I started off playing power chords with index ring fingers, but now when i watch all other people play they use index pinky should i switch?
I decided I want to be more like the people on ug...

Searchbar!!!

That oughta do it.

Time for a supercool guitar demonstration by herman li,

Herman Li- why is this guitar so big?

Stage guy- because its a bass herman

The way you play is actually considered better technique, since it leaves your pinky free to play other notes. Honestly though it doesn't matter, I play with my index and pinky and I'm doin just fine.
it depends, if you're playing on the lower frets and you feel more comfortable using your index and pinky, go ahead. i usually use my index and ring at all times.
Do it however you want. It doesn't matter.
I'd rather die than go to heaven.

Quote by Chris.Rock.Art
I like you and you are special

Quote by perry589
I don't wank. I auto fellatio.

Quote by GITARdud391
The way you play is actually considered better technique, since it leaves your pinky free to play other notes. Honestly though it doesn't matter, I play with my index and pinky and I'm doin just fine.
exactly ...but its what ever feels more comfortable to you!
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
Quote by blackdahlia1066
it depends, if you're playing on the lower frets and you feel more comfortable using your index and pinky, go ahead. i usually use my index and ring at all times.

+1
I breathe air.
If im past the 12th fret, i use my ring finger, anything lower than that its my pinky. Thats just how I started playing, its comfy for me.
Learn to do them both. Alternate. Trying using your middle and index fingers too. Whatever you can to strengthen your fingers and learn to use them with perfect accuracy will benefit you greatly.
I usually do Index Ring now, but I used Index Middle when I started out, I think it's good to try to switch it up sometimes, because it will make you more well rounded in the future
MIJ Jackson Kelly
Fender Frontman 15G
Am I to understand from this that everyone plays power chords with 2 fingers only (pushing 2 strings with 1 finger)?

I've always played them with index + pinky + ring, never knew you were supposed to play both of the lower strings with the same finger (if that's the case)!
My Gear
Epi Les Paul
Roland Microcube
Boss DS-1 pedal
Shure SM57
M-Audio Fasttrack
I used to play with index & ring, but after a while I noticed my pinky did not get a lot of training and was just hanging there. Then I switched to index & pinky and now I train my pinky a lot, which is good for soloing etc. I only use index & ring if I need the pinky for other strings in a riff, or on the higher frets (> 15).
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Your technique now is good, because you have the option of using 3-note power chords by adding your pinky.