After much debate I decided to buy a new head, specifically a used Mesa Single Recto.... then I recked my car. So right now isn't the best time to go off and buy a new head.

What I'm looking for is the best quality distortion pedal that can be gotten for a reasonable price. As far as exactly what I'm looking to spend, I'm thinking I'll probably have to spend at least $100, to get something decent but preferably under $200. And used is OK so this widens my options. I hope to find something that sounds good enough that I could gig with it if I had too. I realize a new head is better, but its just not in the cards right now.

I'm looking for a good hard rock distortion pedal, my favorite band is Alter Bridge, I also like Shinedown. It would be nice if the pedal could do a little heavier and a little lighter if need be, but if I had to choose I'd rather have a great hard rock tone, than and ok hard rock but with greater range. I realize I need to try them for myself to know whats best for me, but there are so many out there, suggestions could help me get a list of which ones to make sure I try. The Metal Muff comes to mind as far as being a popular suggestion, but I've never heard it for myself, and someone recommended Damage Control, but again I don't know. I currently have a Boss DS-1 and I really think its bad.

On a side note I'm wondering what other pedal I could buy to get me a lighter distorted range, like Led Zeppelin. I was thinking either the Tube Screamer, or Big Muff.

My current gear is a Music Man 50RD (excellent cleans, but nothing else), through a Carr 2x12 closed back and I play through a Les Paul.

Thanks in advance!
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
Wait for the Vox satch sig disto to come out?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
sorry to hear about your car man :O

a tube screamer on its own won't give you much gain really.. i'm unfamiliar with the bands you listed.. but a tubescreamer by itself (its usually used to boost an amp on its overdrive channel) will give you a light crunch.

i play lots of metal myself, but have found very little use for distortion pedals.. but since you have a mainly clean amp.. a few suggestions i've heard tossed around are:

Zvex box of metal
landmine distortion box (kind of uncommon.. at least where i live)
metal muff

i can't recommend any personally, cause i usually just boost my amps drive channel.. but hopefully this helps.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by morganite14
I like my MT-2, I had a DS-1 but it was absolute trash

I hate to judge but I feel that the price of the boss line is somewhat of an indicator to its quality. It may work well for someone with a 10w SS practice amp, but I'm looking for something a little better.

Thanks for the reply Kivarenn. I was thinking about the metal muff but so far no one has suggested it who has actually used it.
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
The Metal Muff isn't going to produce a tone anywhere along the lines of Tremonti's tone. I'm sure most of UG will come in and go on and on about how amazing they think the Metal Muff is, but don't buy into the hype. It's unreliable, sounds thin, and the top boost function is a joke. Look into the following:

- Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic
- Landmine DS-1
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Sans Amp GT2
yea.. i'd have to say my favorite way of getting any kind of grit is with some heavy overdrives..

it seems hit or miss with most people, but i really like my boss SD-2.

anyway, you can youtube some videos of the the pedals i mentioned to at least get an idea of what these things sound like.. its not always an accurate indicator.. but you can at least find out what sort of drive it has and how much.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Guitarmiester
The Metal Muff isn't going to produce a tone anywhere along the lines of Tremonti's tone. I'm sure most of UG will come in and go on and on about how amazing they think the Metal Muff is, but don't buy into the hype. It's unreliable, sounds thin, and the top boost function is a joke. Look into the following:

- Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic
- Landmine DS-1
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Sans Amp GT2

Thanks for the reply you seem to know the tone I'm after, I'll definately keep those in mind. I kinda figured the Metal Muff couldn't give me the tone I wanted but its popularity made me take it into consideration.
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
I am unfamiliar with tubeking. Where have you seen this carried?

The Seymore Duncan looks nice, though I never thought of them as a pedal maker, just a pickup maker. And is it just me or does the Jekyll & Hyde look like more OD than Distortion, which for Tremonti type tone I don't think OD alone can pull it off, though maybe I'm wrong. I'm not looking to use my amps gain at all, so maybe thats why you suggested it.

EDIT: Anyone have an opinion about Hughes & Kettner?
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
Quote by saltysnail
tubeking?

The Tube King doesn't have that modern sound to it. I've had two Tube King pedals in the past, they can get heavy, but not what he's looking for.

Quote by FrenchBread
The Seymore Duncan looks nice, though I never thought of them as a pedal maker, just a pickup maker. And is it just me or does the Jekyll & Hyde look like more OD than Distortion, which for Tremonti type tone I don't think OD alone can pull it off, though maybe I'm wrong. I'm not looking to use my amps gain at all, so maybe thats why you suggested it.

EDIT: Anyone have an opinion about Hughes & Kettner?

Those Seymour Duncan pedals deliver. I didn't expect much from them, but when I tried them I was blown away. The Jekyll & Hyde is both an OD and distortion pedal. You can use them seperately or together. What Hughes & Kettner pedal are you talking about? The Warp Factor?
Quote by Guitarmiester
The Tube King doesn't have that modern sound to it. I've had two Tube King pedals in the past, they can get heavy, but not what he's looking for.

Those Seymour Duncan pedals deliver. I didn't expect much from them, but when I tried them I was blown away. The Jekyll & Hyde is both an OD and distortion pedal. You can use them seperately or together. What Hughes & Kettner pedal are you talking about? The Warp Factor?

Yea, I was referring to the Warp Factor, I've never tried a H&K pedal but I feel that their amps are of good quality. I'll definately have to try the Seymour Duncan; and it sounds like you prefer the Seymore Duncan to the Jekyll & Hyde?
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
nobody else knows about H&K or Seymour Duncan?
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.