Page 1 of 2
alright dudes, i got a vk today, well its on laybuy lolz

so can someone hook me up with some nice settings i should use with this bad boy lol.

and what od pedal goes best with it to get some nice metal distortion on it, cause when i was playing it in the shop today, it didn't really get that heavy....but then again i didnt turn it up past 3 cause it was already too loud and blasting the shop lol.....

i also got the 212 model, and might i say, this sounded better than the 112...

cheers guys
Laybuy???
Don't you mean Layaway?
And as far for a heavy metal distortion, it probably won't go any heavier with an OD, just alot tighter.
Doowop dooby doo doowop doowah doolang
Blue days black nights doowah doolang!
NO... LAY-BUY!

in australia thats what we call it anyways.....

it means you just pay it off.

well would a distortion pedal make it heavier?
hahaha, I've never heard Lay-Buy, Living in North America, but anyways.
As far for heaviness, A heavy sound is produced by a thick track, composed of multiple frequencies played at once, A guitar is meant to play mids, bass and drums, lows and the highs are reserved for vocals (although they're mainly mids) and cymbals.
Dimebag's tone was very thin, that's why he had mutiple tracks with different EQ settings. But, I totally recommend an od pedal driving a hard driven tube amp over a distortion pedal, Distortion just sounds horrible, all it does is buzz harshly and hurts your ears while pushing unwanted frequencies.
how can you eq a thick track in to a normal 3 band eq?

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Generally you can drop your mids, but as soon as you play in a band situation, the bass drowns the lows that you have, the cymbals drowns your highs, what do you have left, your mids but you just took them out, unless you go waaaay louder than the rest, which the other band members will most likely dislike, you won't be heard. Try cranking your mids, but keep a decent amount of bass to carry the notes and enough highs to hear your pick rubbing against the strings. That should do the trick, being in a band is like a big family, helping each other out creates the sound.
Last edited by 68_SG at Apr 14, 2008,
this is rather rediculous.

i ask for good settings to use on my vk, and i end up with people talking about bands being families.

has ug lost the plot?
Quote by xdeathxcorex
this is rather rediculous.

i ask for good settings to use on my vk, and i end up with people talking about bands being families.

has ug lost the plot?

Has UG lost the plot? You havnt even been here a month...

maybe were always like this?
sometimes when my family goes out on a roadtrip.. oh right..

settings.. uh just play around with it man.. it'll be sitting there in front of you happily waiting to produce whatever sound you want.

most people say that if you want metal out of a valveking, it'll need a pedal.. but i've heard some decent metal tones come from it by itself.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Last edited by Kivarenn82 at Apr 14, 2008,
Lol, here's my EQ: Bass: 7, Middle: 4, Treble: 9.

But then I am playing through an extremely bass heavy cab ATM.

**Flameshield up because I scoop mids**

^There's a very good reason I do it.
I always thought the gain boost made it sound muddy, although it might balance out if you are playing leads
I use the valveking with a line6 uber metal pedal... 'kin awsome sound

as regards the mid scoop debate, it has to be done really cleverly - ie with a good eq pedal or a proper metal distortion pedal. The reason being that turning your mids down on the amp will just globally drag ALL your mids down to nothing and you end up with the problem as mentioned in this thread where you cant hear your sound cos the band drown you out.

You need to scoop ONLY the low mids - this will give you your scooped sound, but with the ability to cut through - the uber metal not only allows you to choose what frequency you want to cut but how sharp (called the Q) that cut is to be - plus it has a built in noise gate AND if you fiddle with it, you can make it sound like a normal overdrive pedal aswell.

I used to do this with a boss eq pedal after any good distortion (try putting the eq pedal in your amps effects loop to get a great scoop out of your amp distortion), but the uber metal wins hands down in my humble opinion.

G
doesnt the uber metal sound really digital?

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by hippyheaven1
I use the valveking with a line6 uber metal pedal... 'kin awsome sound

as regards the mid scoop debate, it has to be done really cleverly - ie with a good eq pedal or a proper metal distortion pedal. The reason being that turning your mids down on the amp will just globally drag ALL your mids down to nothing and you end up with the problem as mentioned in this thread where you cant hear your sound cos the band drown you out.

You need to scoop ONLY the low mids - this will give you your scooped sound, but with the ability to cut through - the uber metal not only allows you to choose what frequency you want to cut but how sharp (called the Q) that cut is to be - plus it has a built in noise gate AND if you fiddle with it, you can make it sound like a normal overdrive pedal aswell.

I used to do this with a boss eq pedal after any good distortion (try putting the eq pedal in your amps effects loop to get a great scoop out of your amp distortion), but the uber metal wins hands down in my humble opinion.

G

NOW THERES A MAN WHO KNOWS WHAT THE **** HES TALKING ABOUT!

thanks a load!

ill definatly look into the uber metal pedal.
ONly problem with the Uber metal is its FAR too easy to make it sound sh!te...
I own one and I can honestly say it takes a good 2-3 weeks to nail a tone you'll love and keep!
I've used a TS with one and it sounds pretty good, I would sooner change a speaker or something though
i think they are good if you play with a scooped tone as they still cut through well, for a good rock tone check out the G12H
deathcore... DONT change out your speakers until you have tried your amp through a cab loaded with those sapeakers - I tried my valveking through a framuis 4x12 and it made the amp sound, well, VERY different. It kinda made everything sound a bit vintage, which is ok if thats the sound you want, but im deffo going for a modern heavy sound and the VK speakers do that very nicely (for the price) and I think thats what you want too isnt it????

someone asked if the uber metal sounds really digital - mine sounds phat and warm fella - VERY nice sound through a valve amp, but then ive always liked the line6 distortions.

A tube screamer will drive your amps input, but again will make your amp sound more vintage - in my opinion.

if you didnt like the sound of the uber metal, try a good distortion (anything with enough gain for that heavy sound your after - but be careful not to over do the gain) and stick an eq after it and VERY gently roll off the low mids - you dont need to go to town, only enough to suggest "metal".

peace

G
Quote by hippyheaven1
deathcore... DONT change out your speakers until you have tried your amp through a cab loaded with those sapeakers - I tried my valveking through a framuis 4x12 and it made the amp sound, well, VERY different. It kinda made everything sound a bit vintage, which is ok if thats the sound you want, but im deffo going for a modern heavy sound and the VK speakers do that very nicely (for the price) and I think thats what you want too isnt it????

someone asked if the uber metal sounds really digital - mine sounds phat and warm fella - VERY nice sound through a valve amp, but then ive always liked the line6 distortions.

A tube screamer will drive your amps input, but again will make your amp sound more vintage - in my opinion.

if you didnt like the sound of the uber metal, try a good distortion (anything with enough gain for that heavy sound your after - but be careful not to over do the gain) and stick an eq after it and VERY gently roll off the low mids - you dont need to go to town, only enough to suggest "metal".

peace

G

THANKS A LOAD!!!!!

most helpfull post anyone has made. thanks heaps man. tomorrow i might be able to try out some different pedals through the vk, so ill just find the one that gives me the tone i want.

deathcore, im just glad i could be of some help :-)

just make sure you buy the right pedal for YOU - oh and PM me when youve tried a few things, let me know how you got on.

peace

G
for sure man. seriously thanks heaps, most people just aimlessly put random information when they have no clue what theyre on about, but you actually gave help. cheers!
your welcome :-)

i find it frustrating too when you ask for someones opinion and they say "it sounds really nice" which actually means nothing, as nice means different things to different people.

Peace

G
yeh hahaha.

or the ever cliche line of "drop some v30s in it and get a tubescreamer for it"

if i hear that one more time i will scream lol
i got the 212

it sounded better to me and had the extra presence and resonance controlls, plus it was only an exrta $100. so i thought, **** it , its double the size and its only an extra 100.
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD move fella !!!

the 1x12 would have been a mistake as you cant add extra cabs to the 1x12 without muting the onboard speaker... but with your set up, you could add a 2x12 cab to it and end up with a nice, splittable, portable rig that can go from 2x12 for practise to 4x12 for gigs.

how long you had it ???

Ive had my VK100 head and 4x12 for about 6 months now - never looked back :-)

G
oh awesome. well i havent got it yet. i got tested it out yesterday, and put it on laybuy, as last weekend i wasted $600 on absolutely junk that i had no need for BIG MISTAKE!.

so ill have it pretty soon, it cost me $999 AUD. which is pretty good seing as the rrp price was $1279AUD.

and i should have it soon, but b4 i get it im just preparing myself, hence the reason for this thread. and when i played it in the shop it didnt seem to get very heavy, but then again i didnt turn it up past 3 and also it was fresh out of the box, i had to help the guy cut the tape off the top of the box haha.
I'm always floored by how much gear costs in australia..

on google once i tried to find some roland vkits (roland prohibits the price being shown on websites from canadian dealers for some reason.. check for yourself)

and australian page came up with a roland td-20 for $9000..

i almost want to buy some boats and start selling gear there for cheap..
i'm browsing that site even more.. and i'm pretty much left with the impression that everything costs double there.

an ibanez rg7321 for over $800??

the ones in my shop across the street go for $399..

ITS MADNESS
sheeeeesh man... that is expensive !!

and I always though the UK was expensive - glad i dont live in oz now, although the weather would be nice :-)

maybe these companies charge more to the aussies to make up for the fact that they are jammy, lucky people who live in (from what ive heard/seen on tv) a tropical paradise.
Quote by hippyheaven1
sheeeeesh man... that is expensive !!

and I always though the UK was expensive - glad i dont live in oz now, although the weather would be nice :-)

maybe these companies charge more to the aussies to make up for the fact that they are jammy, lucky people who live in (from what ive heard/seen on tv) a tropical paradise.

it is a rather nice country haha. we have a very nice sub tropical climate.

and you can almost go to the beach all year round in the part im from!

shame the guitars and amps are suck a bloody rip off hahaha
blimey !!!

I just looked at my VK100 head plus slant cab - works out at £939 - ouch! Mine cost me £550 here in the uk - thats madness !!!!!!!!!

so where in oz dya live deathcore?

I like the idea that in parts of oz, you can ski in the morning and surf in the after noon - now THATS cooooooooooool

*jealously takes back all previous helpfulness*
BTW i can go the beach all year round too... its just that I have to wear mountain apparel to survive the experience ;-)
Page 1 of 2