I got a few problem when it comes to playing barre chords on acoustic guitars. Mainly I find I can't really change 'smoothly' and that sometimes the high E string is really hard to press down (it always gets muted cuz' my index finger, despite pressing hard, isn't really pressing down hard enough) when playing the chords that has the D string as the root note.

Also, how do you guys play major chords that have the D string as the root not?

Is it

|1- - |
|- - 4|
|- - 3|
|- - 2|
|1- - |
|1- - |

With 1 as your index finger, 2 as your middle finger, 3 as your ring finger and 4 as your pinky.

That's how I play my major barres, and if that's the way you do too, mind giving advice on changing chords smoothly and making the sound more fluid?
don't worry too much about it. it's like that for everyone when they start out, more so on acoustic. practice swapping between 2 chords, or 4, when you start playing guitar every day. your fingers will get stronger with time as well. also, yes you're right with your barre chord picture, but that's a B flat, and it's root note is the B flat on the A string, not the D string. hope that helps!
Since everyone has different size fingers and styles, the best way is to self-correct. Try to play a barre, and just look at your fingers. pluck each string individually to see which fingers are weak or which strings aren't being rung out, and just try different fingerings or ideas.

For techniques' sake, a barre is supposed to be played with index finger and thumb parallel to each other, giving the most strength to the fingers. start with that, then add your ring finger, then your middle, then your pinky if necessary. The more you work at getting the placement and strength down, the better you'll be at playing and switching. It took me a good deal of time to build the strength to consistently play barre chords, and that's just practice. You can't skip out and cheat on practice.

Your other question seemed confusing to me, so I'll just run over the basic barre chords.
the numbers are how I play it. I have pretty big hands, though.
Major, Root on low e string
-1--
-1--
-1-2
-1-3
-1-3
-1--

Major, Root on A
-1-- I push my ring finger to make it double jointed, and supplement with my pinky
-1-4
-1-3
-1-3
-1--
-1--

Major, Root on D
-1-3 I barre my index, then my ring finger, then add the pinky
-1-34
-1-3
-1--
-1--
-x--

hope that helps
"Who is more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?"
- Obi Wan Kenobi, Star Wars Episode IV

"The Five Senses Blind the Eye"
- Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
OH! I spelt it wrong, I meant the A string as the root note. Bleh I still mix up string names.

But thanks alot anyway. It's just that I've been practicing barre chords for awhile now, and I get annoyed with that dumb fuzzing sound.
i remember that feeling and it is frustrating....keep at it though and it will get better
yeah its all about practice practice practice and when you learn your barre chords so many ways of playing will open up to you it sux to learn but the payoff is intense.
I have been messing around for like 5 months and still don't have it right It can be frustrating. Now I can play a barre chord fine, just not switch from one chord to another fast.
Quote by Slipstream_mike
I have been messing around for like 5 months and still don't have it right It can be frustrating. Now I can play a barre chord fine, just not switch from one chord to another fast.

there are two things about barre chords that make them difficult.

1. if your guitar isnt set up right for you then it may be hard to press down all the strings you need. even if you curve your barring finger. i have really stubby fingers and play quite often. i still cant play barre chords for very long.

2. i find switching from a open chord to a barre chord really hard for some reason. maybe that's just me, but that's a tricky thing to do really fast.
yeah its tuff but if switching from open to barres is hard perhaps you could play the whole song with barre chords therefore basiclly going from e to aminor root shapes up and down the neck. this would also allow you to build up stamina and learn the perfect amount of tension required to fret your barres so they ring clear. and remember this if you practice the a bar chord there will be less tension felt and the frets will be a little closer at the fifth fret rather than trying to learn in the f position
but keep practicing switching between barres and open as that will come too and it'll then open up a whole new world