Well, I kinda have a problem with my peavey vk. Compared to the cube 20x. Man that amp kicked its a$$. Peavey is kinda weird to me. Like if I raise the treble up it gets all muddy kind of blanded the whole guitar tone. So my current settings are like mid 7 treble 4 bass 5. So wtf is up with this amp? I thought it was good, now it is crap.
The valveking will only get a good metal tone if you have an OD or possibly 2 OD's running in front of it and having the amp at about 4+.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Quote by life_777
Well, I kinda have a problem with my peavey vk. Compared to the cube 20x. Man that amp kicked its a$$. Peavey is kinda weird to me. Like if I raise the treble up it gets all muddy kind of blanded the whole guitar tone. So my current settings are like mid 7 treble 4 bass 5. So wtf is up with this amp? I thought it was good, now it is crap.

Check out Youtube for some good settings. You don't need an OD to get a decent metal tone out of the VK.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
The amp seems good after tubes and speaker is swapped for better ones and if you've got a nice Over Drive pedal! With a quick gain switching, Good for all types of music styles IMO.
Quote by howey
The valveking will only get a good metal tone if you have an OD or possibly 2 OD's running in front of it and having the amp at about 4+.

See that what makes me mad. . But i guess it needs customizing just to get the right stuff. ALso, This amp is lacking distortion.
Quote by life_777
See that what makes me mad. . But i guess it needs customizing just to get the right stuff. ALso, This amp is lacking distortion.

Lacking distortion?

Jesus how MUCH distortion do you use!?

I got a fine metal tone with the Valveking using similar settings.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
You don't need lots of distortion! Unless you like to hide what your playing like playing sloppy!
Quote by gilbeaux1983
You don't need lots of distortion! Unless you like to hide what your playing like playing sloppy!

I meant the distortion is like wack man. It's lacking tone. It almost sounds like its lacking something. I didn't mean I wanted more distorted.
Vavlekings have a treble issue, im trying to combat that now... Heres what i found out about it on another forum..

"The typical harsh/painful frequencies are around 3-4 kHz, where human hearing is most sensitive. It can be caused by too much of anything higher, as well, though we're not as sensitive to those frequencies. It probably just varies from person to person, as I can't think of anything that very clearly defines the frequency ranges (they can vary, depending on the source, anyways) but I'd consider that to be the treble range, an octave down the upper mids, and an octave up the "presence" range.

I'd be inclined to agree that that is a problem with the Valve King. While that's getting into the higher frequencies, the frequencies that make you perceive something as more clear/airy/present are about another octave up, where the Valve King seems to just drop off. When you increase the highs, you just get everything at that point, and not any higher, so it never clears up, and just gets nasty. That's why it can be muffled, harsh, and fizzy all at once.

It's like how bad car stereos just stab your ears with an ice pick if you turn up the treble control, instead of getting any clearer. Something is just too low quality about it. I don't know exactly what it would be that causes that, but I'd say that's a pretty appropriate analogy, as the Valve King is certainly very cheaply built."
Play with your settings. Twiddle your pickup selecter, tone knobs, playing style. Why does it suck all of a sudden? That dosn't make much sense.

You don't need two OD's to get solid tone out of a Valveking.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Vavlekings have a treble issue, im trying to combat that now... Heres what i found out about it on another forum..

"The typical harsh/painful frequencies are around 3-4 kHz, where human hearing is most sensitive. It can be caused by too much of anything higher, as well, though we're not as sensitive to those frequencies. It probably just varies from person to person, as I can't think of anything that very clearly defines the frequency ranges (they can vary, depending on the source, anyways) but I'd consider that to be the treble range, an octave down the upper mids, and an octave up the "presence" range.

I'd be inclined to agree that that is a problem with the Valve King. While that's getting into the higher frequencies, the frequencies that make you perceive something as more clear/airy/present are about another octave up, where the Valve King seems to just drop off. When you increase the highs, you just get everything at that point, and not any higher, so it never clears up, and just gets nasty. That's why it can be muffled, harsh, and fizzy all at once.

It's like how bad car stereos just stab your ears with an ice pick if you turn up the treble control, instead of getting any clearer. Something is just too low quality about it. I don't know exactly what it would be that causes that, but I'd say that's a pretty appropriate analogy, as the Valve King is certainly very cheaply built."

Good Explanation
Wow,
i have a cube 60x myself, love the thing to death.
You have to remember though its a modeling amp, and the valveking is its own amp, so its not gonna be as versatile, but its gonna be more of a master of one instead of a jack of all trades.
Im waiting for my Peavey Valveking halfstack to arrive in shipping at this moment, and i know the head has presence and resonance.
If your amp has presence, mess with that a little. The amount of presence regulates the "tightness" or "presence" of the high end. Besides that, this amp has plenty of distortion.
The more you play with less distortion, the cleaner you're playing will get.
trust me, its worth it
My Gear:
Fender American 60's Strat
Peavey Valveking Stack
Boss ME-50
Homebrew Crystal Bawl Wah
The VK is fine, it's your used to the solid state amp. It happened to me, let your ears get used to the nice warm tone and you'll like it.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
1) Turn it up.

2) You need to let the speaker break in first - do this by turning it up and playing for awhile.

3) Don't play when the tubes are cold.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
to help get the clarity with distortion down turn the mids all the way down. i have the roland 60x and i have the settings at bass-6, mids-1, treble-7,and presence-7. I have a pretty good tone and this amp is awesome for the money i spent on it. try that out and if that doesnt work then try going with some pedals instead of the amp distortion. also, run the pedals through the clean channel to get a good tone.
Don't scoop mids!

Will be harder to cut through mix. and I don't like it :0
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
I know a guy who had one, bought an eq and dropped the entire max treble off completely and said it fixed the problem.
Quote by howey
2 Od's, WRONG.

The Valveking can do metal on its own, an OD can be used to tighten it up though.