Hai guys! For all purposes prices are listed in AUSTRALIAN Dollars.

In a month or so I'm looking to buy this amp (60watt combo) off a guy i know. Im getting it for less than half price. Completely working, new tubes being installed and has casters. The genz retails for $1900 and I'm getting it for $800.

However, I'm not completely sold on the matter. I've seen mixed opinions everywhere. Some people claim it has good distortion and crappy cleans while others claim the cleans are wonderful but the distortion is too gritty and bad.

I'll have money for the amp in about 3-4 weeks so i have plenty of time to change my mind.

For the price its a steal, but for the same price i could find JCM 800's JCM 900's or something similar. I've seen a couple of mesa's up for as low as $1100 (Mesa DC-5).

I play metal/shred-ish. I want a good rhythm tone and a smooth lead tone. Cleans are a must but i don't need great cleans. I dont go heavier than Dream Theater, mostly 80's thrash (Megadeth, early Metallica). The amp needs to be good for pedals as i have a lust for certain pedals (In my profile if your interested).

What I'm trying to say in a nut shell is: How is the El Diablo 60-c? Does it suit what i need? For the price i know i cant do much better but if it turns out that i don't like it then its money wasted.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Quote by Horlicks
Try it out

Yeah man if you know the guy I'm sure he'll let you test it?
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
He lives over 6 hours away. I don't want to make a trip down there to just test it out. If i did, i would be compelled to buy it because of the expense of just getting down there. What about Bugera amps? I've heard lots about them but some people complain about reliability? So far I've only heard 3 instances of them breaking down yet everyone raves that, and i quote: "Break down if you look at it wrong".

I'm more looking for personal opinions of people who have played the el diablo. What where your actual thoughts on it? Would you guys suggest saving up another 3 months and hoping to find a good deal on ebay or perhaps go for a bugera?
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
$90 for a train ticket, plus $30-40 for a cab to and from his place. Probably more because i think he lives in the outer suburbs. Too much money. It takes me two weeks to get $100, and thats ALL i get, so no spending money what so ever. Plus i have two birthdays and mothers day coming up. I'm really tight on cash at the moment
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
be patient my friend. when you are dealing with such large sums of money, make sure it's something you REALLY REALLY want. i would think it's a good investment to go there once being set on not buying it, just to try it out.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (with EMG 81/85)
Mesa/Boogie Single Rectifier Solo Head Series 2
Marshall Valvestate 8100
Lopo Line 2x12 Slant w/ WGS v30 clones
Boss MT-2
Danelectro Fish and Chips
In that sort of price range the carvin v3 pwns. if you can get your hands on one. The genz benz is good for chugga chugga but its a bit buzzy and has a ton of reliability problems.
i liked the one i tried a lot, but you're right, opinion does seem to be very polarised.

my guess is you'll struggle to do much better for $800 AUS, but then again if you turn out to be one of the guys who hates it, that might not be the case...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by .arkness:.
For the price its a steal, but for the same price i could find JCM 800's JCM 900's or something similar. I've seen a couple of mesa's up for as low as $1100 (Mesa DC-5).

I play metal/shred-ish. I want a good rhythm tone and a smooth lead tone. Cleans are a must but i don't need great cleans. I dont go heavier than Dream Theater, mostly 80's thrash (Megadeth, early Metallica). The amp needs to be good for pedals as i have a lust for certain pedals (In my profile if your interested).

What I'm trying to say in a nut shell is: How is the El Diablo 60-c? Does it suit what i need? For the price i know i cant do much better but if it turns out that i don't like it then its money wasted.

With the type of music you're playing, the El Diablo should suit your style very well. It's a darker sounding amp with more than enough gain on tap. It's no Road King, but you'll be able to pull off some DT-like tones. The lead channel cleans up very nicely when you roll back your volume knob. The cleans in general are alright, nothing great but not bad. Try it out yourself if you can.

$1100 for a DC-5 is too much.
If it's that good a deal, it should be easy to make your money back if you end up disliking it and selling the thing.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
about the bugera amps- the 6262 is good, its like a peavey 6505+good cleans, and its for ~500usd american on musiciansfriend.
i hear that its sounds overly compressed...

i tried it at a guitar shop...wasnt to impressed
Quote by TheProducer
...I'm a pussy...
I'll be looking at every single amp i can find but at this time i have to go used to get any sort of deal.

How ever i have not seen one Carvin V3 on ebay. Mesa's almost always go for over $2000 on ebay and there usually isn't anything else that sparks my interest. I want flexibility at a good price. I have looked at the Flextone but I'd rather something i could put pedals too.

Is there any other amps that I'm forgetting here?
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Buy a Mark IV the El Diablos far from smooth.....You migh aswell buy a Spider Valve.
Your opinion to me is obsolete. Considering Mark IV's go for anything between $2500 and $3500. If i had the cash then that definitely would be my choice, but seeing as though i only have a fraction of that budget, i think I'll consider other things.

As for the spider valve; tried it, didn't like it.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Dude your not going to find a Carvin V3 in aus for under $2500.
Also look through your local second hand magazines. The other day they had a Laney GH stack for $1350, a Laney VC30 for $800 and some carvin tube amp for $700.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
they're $2299 new and im looking used so if I'm lucky i might be able to find one.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Your opinion to me is obsolete. Considering Mark IV's go for anything between $2500 and $3500. If i had the cash then that definitely would be my choice, but seeing as though i only have a fraction of that budget, i think I'll consider other things.

As for the spider valve; tried it, didn't like it.

Well can you name a few amps in your price range in Aus then? The JCM900 is a better opinion but you might be able to do better......
the JCM900 and JCM800 are in my price range if used. and i have to get lucky in finding them. For a new amp i can afford a Valveking 112, JSX Mini Collossal. Im not sure how much they are in American but that should give you guys a rough idea.

Edit: I dont trust that guys settings at all. He made the amp sound like complete crap when compared to other vids on youtube of that amp. Some guy basically Nailed EVH's tone. His tone just sound likes crap to me.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
cleans are beautiful, distortion sounds great on lower gain settings, higher gain it sounds VERY similar to a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone. Thats why some people like the distortion (such as people who like metal zones, who obviously enjoy brand names) and others hate it (people that have heard GOOD tone before, and never want to go back)

Another option in your price range is a Randall RG50TC. They go for 650-750 second hand, and with the money you'd sve you can install castors and get new tubes yourself. IMO it's a much better amp for the money.

If you want to try a Genz Benz, hit Billy Hyde. There's one in parramatta, and 2 others that I can't remember.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
Well this isnt good news..

Opinions on the JCM900? Theres a coupl up on ebay around the 700-900 dollar mark. High gain enough for me? i usually play old school thrash and shred lately. Im interested in a good lead tone coupled with a good rhythm, then cleans. Needs to be good with effects aswell.

Theres a JCM 900 4501 50 watt combo for $800 starting bid that i can try to win.
Also a jcm 4101 100 watt combo for $600 starting that i can try and win. Theres a JCM800 combo but its a single channel and i need cleans.

Theres also a Laney VH100R up for $800 except that doesn't come with a cab so I'm not sure it's worth it.

Edit: I'm really liking the JCM 100 watt. Its the duel reverb model, for cheap. I sent the seller off an email asking about how old it is, how old the tubes are, anything wrong and for more pics. Would there be anything wrong with this purchase? I know i probably wont get great DT tones from it but I'm not that concerned about that. I'm more into 80's thrash and shred like stuff (Vai, Satch). Later on il be getting an OD, EQ, wah and delay, Does the JCM 900 take pedals well? Any other opinions?
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Last edited by .:Darkness:. at Apr 15, 2008,
If you prefer the tone of a 900 to the tone of an El Diablo.

It's really up to your preference, I can't tell you what you like. A few of my friends have been utterly dissapointed buying Jcm800/900 and other amps purely off the advice of others.

Hit billy hyde. They'll have an El Diablo in stock. Should be easy to find JCM800 or 900 on ebay you can go try out.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
aarg you're making it hard :P Local stores have neither amps, i have to travel hours to find one and i dont know which stores will actually have those specific amps. Also traveling that far is neigh on impossible anyway.

Generally, would a JCM 900 sound better than the Genz Benz?
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
aarg you're making it hard :P Local stores have neither amps, i have to travel hours to find one and i dont know which stores will actually have those specific amps. Also traveling that far is neigh on impossible anyway.

Yes the JCM900 will sounds loads better than the El Diablo and with an OD, EQ, Delay and Wah you'll be able to nail almost any tone you'll ever need.

you are talking about 2 different types of amps. Genz Benz has a modern dark voicing to it similar to a dual recto, however it can also do a lot of other trad genres. Heres a couple of clips of the el diablo...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaWdWZFBf8w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tehXysvWxck&feature=related

Hope this is of help to you
Im aware of the voicing, i can accept both. I have made a decision and have bid on the JCM 900 4101 Combo. Wish me luck!
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Im aware of the voicing, i can accept both. I have made a decision and have bid on the JCM 900 4101 Combo. Wish me luck!

Good Luck you made the right choice....
Quote by Cofflecakes
cleans are beautiful, distortion sounds great on lower gain settings, higher gain it sounds VERY similar to a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone. Thats why some people like the distortion (such as people who like metal zones, who obviously enjoy brand names) and others hate it (people that have heard GOOD tone before, and never want to go back)

Another option in your price range is a Randall RG50TC. They go for 650-750 second hand, and with the money you'd sve you can install castors and get new tubes yourself. IMO it's a much better amp for the money.

If you want to try a Genz Benz, hit Billy Hyde. There's one in parramatta, and 2 others that I can't remember.

i resent your baseless accusation that people who like the el diablo mustn't know good tone. I wouldn't exactly say that randall's tone is anything amazing either; if you ask me the genz benz pwns it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i resent your baseless accusation that people who like the el diablo mustn't know good tone. I wouldn't exactly say that randall's tone is anything amazing either; if you ask me the genz benz pwns it.

+1

I have to agree. Comparing the El Diablo to a Metal Zone and claiming that anyone who thinks the amp sounds good doesn't know tone? That's one bold statement that I highly doubt you can back up.
^ Not to mention then singing the praises of the tone of an obvious budget tube amp. Don't get me wrong, the randall isn't terrible, it's actually pretty good for the money. But it's hardly got boutique-quality tone. You wouldn't be trading your bogner or soldano in for one, for example.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?