Alright guys. I lurk around here every day and contribute a small amount. But now it is time to really put you guys to the test.

I currently have an Epi LP Black Beauty (which I love!!!) and a Roland Cube. I have been in the market for a Laney VC15 / 30 - however whilst I have had various opportunities to play one, I have not purchased one as my needs really didn't require one. I am always very cautious when it comes to spending money, and even though I love tube tone and the obvious advantages of owning a tubey, I really have had all i needed out of the Cube (30X by the way).

I'm going on a bit now, but the heart of the matter is, I am feeling it very difficult to hold back the GAS for a tube amp. There is a possibility I might join/form a band (nothing serious - just a pub / covers band) and I would like something for that.

Musical genres covered would be mostly classic rock / blues and blues rock / southern rock / and some metal. I am not a shredmeister but I want a versatile range of sounds.

My budget is around £1,500 to £2,000 but I will take about 3 - 4 months to get hold of that.

So what I want to know is if the Mesa 5:25 will cut the mustard as far as a bedroom amp as well as suitable for jamming or small venues. (I'm not overly concerned about venues as we can either use a PA or one of the members has a JCM800 combo as well as an ENGL Thunder combo (the B*STARD!!!)

I would probably sell the Cube down the line if the Mesa fits the bill, but keep it for practice purposes if not.

I apologise for the humungous thread, the waffle, and so on. But What do you reckon? Good objective viewpoints required, anyone own this amp - if so what do you think? I NEVER trust soundclips, so personal experience important. I don't mind going used.

I think I've covered all the bases, I know you guys (the usual contributors are anyway) are very helpful and knowledgeable. And before Slats gets in on this, yes I would consider the Traynor YC40 (or is it 50? The "brit" voiced one) as it's the only soundclip I have liked and heard TRUE good things about.

Many many thanks,

Unicron (or Steve if you like!)
Cheers horlicks! I must say I love the sound of the TT and am a big Laney fan! Do you think the TT is a little overkill though? I mean 50/100W - too much for bedroom purposes?

as for the guitar I'm looking at switching out the pups for some SD's or DiMarzios. I'm pleased with it otherwise. However, any more of your thoughts as to different options are appreciated!

Anyone else?

Many Thanks
Well with the money you save you could buy an attenuator although I believe the Laney has a Master volume. I use my 100 watt Laney in my room and it sounds good.
+1 to the Laney.

The Mesa I wasn't at all impressed with when I tried it and it would be way overpriced there for you in the UK. The most gain it can get is maybe Iron Maiden or just shy of it, it's really just a classic rock amp, otherwise you'd need a boost.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Cheers guys! Hmm I didn't realise the master vol was on it. How's the VH100R sound? Isn't that the one Iommi uses?

And Matrix - cheers for that. I'm not so fussed that it may need a little help for the metal genres, but you don't really rate the 5:25 then? I relise that they are HUGELY expensive in blighty but was thinking perhaps a bargain could be found used if patient. What about the DC-5? Have heard good things about it, or would you advise to stay away from the Mesas (well not stay away, but you know what I mean!). I looked at the Matamp series and there's a couple of combos on there (I'll have to find the names for you - in work at the moment - skiving obviously!) which caught my eye.

Laney definately a front runner then, what about other options?
IMO, Mesa's are only really worth it in America, they are ramped up to double prices here. Iommi uses his signature GH100TI head.
Quote by UnicronAlliance
And before Slats gets in on this, yes I would consider the Traynor YC40 (or is it 50? The "brit" voiced one) as it's the only soundclip I have liked and heard TRUE good things about.

Actually, being in the UK, I wouldn't suggest Mesa or Traynor. I'd think something like the Orange Rocker 30 could handle the majority of what you do, and that a quality OD pedal could get you the rest. If you don't need that much power, you could consider the Tiny Terror - which switches down to 7W for more accessible bedroom tones.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by MatrixClaw
+1 to the Laney.

The Mesa I wasn't at all impressed with when I tried it and it would be way overpriced there for you in the UK. The most gain it can get is maybe Iron Maiden or just shy of it, it's really just a classic rock amp, otherwise you'd need a boost.

Always wanted to ask you this matrix...Do you agree that it is absolutely awesome that you live in Mesa?

To the TS, Hughes and Kettner make some really nice amps.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/72339
The Mesa Express is a Crate Flexwave with a Mesa Logo. Very bad replacement for the F series IMO.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
The Express 5:25 is a great little EL84 classic rock/old school metal amp, but it doesn't sound like great value for money outside of the USA! Sounds like others are advising you with good alternatives, though.

The folks who bash the Express are usually high-gain users who are disappointed that it isn't a mini-recto (Mesa unwisely made this claim in their advertising). I think they are great, but they clearly aren't for everybody (especially nu-metal types). But then that's why Mesa makes a range of different amps ...
The Mesa Express is a Crate Flexwave with a Mesa Logo

The Flexwave is solid-state. Aren't you clever.
Quote by Steve BP

Hey bud, I own a Mesa for one, and for 2, I played one and it sounded very shrill and empty. Maybe I didn't get a total feel for the sound. But hey, if you like your amp more power to you. You gotta take most peoples opinions on the internet with a grain of salt.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Hey all you guys for responding - new I could count on you. Surprised at the comments on the Mesa though, would have thought it would have more love than that. I kinda knew that it would be overpriced in comparison to other brands being in UK. Just was really interested as they have a superb rep, and that model seemingly was fitting the bill nicely.

Good shout on the TT (Orange) - cheers slats! Was interested to see that there's a TT combo in the offing too (Musikmasse event showcased one). Havent actually tried one as of yet so shall hunt one down.

I was also interested in one of the Matamp combos when I checked the site for the products - can't remember the name of it though. Anyone with experience / views?

Many thanks
Originally Posted by Steve BP

Hey bud, I own a Mesa for one, and for 2, I played one and it sounded very shrill and empty. Maybe I didn't get a total feel for the sound. But hey, if you like your amp more power to you. You gotta take most peoples opinions on the internet with a grain of salt.

I see I mistook your amp slagging for a genuine comparison with the Crate amp ...
I'd rather have a DC or F-series - in fact you could get one of each for less than the price of the Express! I've grown to depend on my the DC, but it can be quite a very weak sounding amp until you've learned to dial it in properly. I was somewhat underwhelmed when I first bought it but after a bit of tweaking I'm happy (new tubes make a world of difference!). The F series are a lot more plug'n'play, less versatile but with very nice medium-gain sounds. The Express seems more like the successor to the Nomad, than to the F series.

Brand-new Boogies are way too expensive over here, also look into the Orange Rocker 30, Traynor YCV40, Rivera Clubster and Budda Superdrive 18. That's on the assumption you'll mostly play rock and blues covers, but want a manageable and portable combo. As for Matamp, they seem very reasonably priced and nail those late 60s-mid 70s tones well. The First Lady combo might be worth a look, having a choice of speaker is a welcome touch too.
Cheers Kyle, yeah heard good reviews about the DC-5. Interested to know what tubes you put in it. Glad you like your Mesa buddy!!! Also I really like the look of the Matamp range and I gotta say the speaker option is pretty sweet! In fact, the more I'm researching the more I'm being swayed!!!

I know nothing of the Rivera and Buddha amps other than they really solid sounding amps! Any hints on those?

BTW probably will be mostly rock / classic rock covers and I don't mind throwing a nice OD into the mix too! A full pup transplant is in the offing too......GOD THE EXPENSE IS GONNA KILL ME!!!!!

Thanks very much for all the help guys - is there anything I'm overlooking? Anyone with first hand knowledge or sound advice please feel free to stir things up. My priority is the amp.......then the pedal..........then..........broke probably!!!

Many thanks

Unicron
^for those of you with knowledge and interested, I was looking at the Matamp range, particularly at the Foxy Lady combo and, unbelieveably, even the 1224 MkII head.

And there was me saying I only wanted to know about combos!! That's advanced stages of GAS for ya!!