How can I get an Eric Johnson Manhattan tone? I'm gonna rent an amp since I can't bring mine to the place I'm playing, and I'm renting a strat since my guitar is broken. The amp I'm practicing with is a Vox AD50VT.

Also, I'm probably going to be playing it alone, meaning no drummer or bassit.

Thanks in advance.
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
Quote by Horlicks
Neck/Middle pickup

Yeah.

Eric uses a Fender tweed amp of some sort, does he not?

He also uses a DMM for a bit of echo in that song.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
What amp should I rent and what settings should I put it too? Also, do I need any effects?

Do you think Manhattan will sound ok without anyone backing me up?

Thanks!
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
Quote by CowboyUp
Don't forget to get the right batteries.

yeah. he uses duracell ultra.

i suggest you wait until it's dawn too, because the density of the air is larger then and it will affect your tone in a postive way.

oh, and don't forget to take off your strap. it affects the guitar's resonance.
and the birds are not migrating where you are right now right? if so don't play it. it affects your tone
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Here we go again.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by The red Strat.
oh, and don't forget to take off your strap. it affects the guitar's resonance.

Don't forget to remove the backplate to increase sustain. Make sure your shoes are tied just right, or else it will throw off the Earth's tilt.
Also, make sure that all the crowd are wearing black, or at least sombre colours. This will help the tone be absorbed by the crowd, as lighter colours such as white can reflect the sound back, causing feedback.
It's too late, more than 10 people have responded to the thread, you will have more answers to process and it will hinder your guitar playing.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?doc_id=102063&autop=1&pgvar=interviews&wv=EricJohnson-03-effects_1&vname=Eric%20Johnson%20-%20Effects

Replicate that rig. 2 Twin Reverbs and a Marshall handwired 69 Plexi Re-Issue

Good Luck.

Also, make sure you have an erection when you play. Tone is vastly improved.
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Last edited by jxljxl at Apr 14, 2008,
Quote by jxljxl
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?doc_id=102063&autop=1&pgvar=interviews&wv=EricJohnson-03-effects_1&vname=Eric%20Johnson%20-%20Effects

Replicate that rig. 2 Twin Reverbs and a Marshall handwired 69 Plexi Re-Issue

Good Luck.

Also, make sure you have an erection when you play. Tone is vastly improved.

Yeah, the woody helps sustain like you wouldn't believe. Wetnaps are a must.

... also, if your cats in heat it'll cause your string to detune easy, put the **** outside or your pussy will warp the neck.
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
Last edited by gizmodious at Mar 20, 2009,
ok, on a more serious note:
he uses Marshall Plexis for dirty tones, Fender Twins for cleans
his main Od is a BK butler tube overdrive, a cheap alturnative would be a used chandler tube driver or a tube works tube driver.

he also uses a Fuzz face, a compressor and an EHX MM DLX in his signal chain.

set your amp to Boutique clean with a bit of chorus for your clean tone, and UK 80's with some delay for your dirty tone.

good luck
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Mar 20, 2009,
Quote by Jhachey22
ok, on a more serious note:
he uses Marshall Plexis for dirty tones, Fender Twins for cleans
his main Od is a BK butler tube overdrive, a cheap alturnative would be a used chandler tube driver or a tube works tube driver.

he also uses a Fuzz face, a compressor and an EHX MM DLX in his signal chain.

set your amp to Boutique clean with a bit of chorus for your clean tone, and UK 80's with some delay for your dirty tone.

good luck

What a buzzkill. Haha jk. For EQ, I -believe- that Johnson tends to use the bass and mids pretty high up and the treble rolled back a bit. At least that helps me nail a tone similar to his.
and remember,
never scratch your amp because it will cause permanent damage to your tone.
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain