I have the stewmac pickup winding kit (2 of them, actually) and 42AWG wire. I haven't wound anything yet but i'm going to build a winder and take my chances very soon. They are Alnico V bar magnets with one set of fixed and one set of adjustable poles.

I know that varying the amount of windings will give different sounds and such but is there a way to calculate output based on wire gauge and number of windings? I was going to start with 5000 winds for the neck and 5500 winds for the bridge but i dont know if 500 extra winds will change the sound that drastically... I want a bridge pickup with more midrange/high end bite but i dont want to lose a lot of bass response trying to get it. I downloaded the seymour duncan output charts that shows what type of magnet, resistance and output each pickup gives just so i can compare but I was wondering if there's any way to estimate the resistance based on number of winds... or is it just trial and error?
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
i cant give you the formulas off the top of my head....but your creating an EMF. the more turns should result in higher output. open a college physics book you'll find the formula
Amps:
Crate V3112
Mesa Mk IVB

Guitars:
Ibanez SZ320
BC Rich Mockingbird Special X
Michael Kelly Patriot Custom

Effects:
Too Many to list.
bump
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology