1st off i do love my Marshall JCM900 but i only bought it because i figured it`d be close to a 800 and i couldn`t find a JCM800 head

NOW i found 5 of them, all posted AFTER i bought my JCM900.

pretty much my only complaint about the 900 is the low end is kinda lacking, everything else is great. i can do Thrash with no pedals with my Warlock.

but i know the JCM800 IS the thrash metal amp, should i buy a JCM800 and sell my 900? because i`m really thinking about doing that.

BUT i was also thinking about modding my 900 to get more lowend and gain. when you mod an amp do you lose the sound of that amp, like the voicing. because i love the Marshall roar just wish it had just alittle more gain and bass.

theres a guy around here, i guess he builds amps and cabs called Morris, i could bring it to him and have him modd my head, but is it worth it?? or should i just sell the 900 and pick up the 800

the JCM800 i`m looking at is a 50 watt hand wired (thats what the guy says) single channel, no mods. he doesn`t say the model it is though. he`s asking $1000 for it. i`m also getting $1000 back from my taxes. but if i get it i`m probly selling the JCM900.

Can you run 2 heads though a single cab??? i just got a JCM900 1960A 4X12
you can get a thing to run two heads
but i find my 900 is enough, i love the reverb and boost, dunno if id like the 800, i wouldnt saythe 800 is necessarily better
If the cab can do stereo you can use two heads. The JCM800 wont give you more gain than the 900, then you would need a pedal. Though IMO the JCM800 sounds better overall, but i play rock. If it's a single channel 50w it's probably a 2204 and $1000 sounds like alot for that amp.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
if your cab is stereo then yes you can ran two heads. most of the 1960A cabs are.,....i THINK.
i would only sell my 900 for a 800 if it was a 2203 and itd have to be 100 watt and a origianl no re-issue ****.
if you want to mod you 900 get someone to put 6550 tubes in it.thats what i was looking at.get it hodrodded too.if you have the cash.

ive herd modded 900s and i like them but ive heard modded 800 and i like them too
i preffer having a 900 because i have 2 channels and i really like the bright cleans of the 900. i can rip out thrash on my 4100 without a pedal but i od it as you read in my post.its personal prefferance. i was set for a 800 for awhile but then i like the flexability i have with a 2 channel 900.
Quote by Tiksi
people who think that the tuning peg things have to be straight. I went to the bathroom once, I come back, and my friend detunified my guitar, and then asked why it sounded weird. ARGG!!!

Last edited by red_spider at Apr 14, 2008,
The 50 watt single channel is the 2204 and is a fantastic amp, a bit more responsive and musical (in my opinion) than the other JCM800's (something about the output transformer I think). I'm very much of the opinion that Marshall took a large step backward with the introduction of the 900's.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Keep in mind...the JCM 800 is a one channel amp, and if it is an older one, it will not have an effects loop. For really extreme sounds, you're going to need a boost pedal, unless you have the means to crank that puppy to stadium volume.

If you're happy with your 900, I wouldn't bother.
http://www.lynx.net/~jc/jcm900.html
Quote by Tiksi
people who think that the tuning peg things have to be straight. I went to the bathroom once, I come back, and my friend detunified my guitar, and then asked why it sounded weird. ARGG!!!

Well I've taken my JCM900 4102 combo to an amp tech the other day and he is going to mod it to take EL34s. This could be something to consider, though I havent heard what it sounds like yet (because it aint done yet) when I do get it back I'll probably post a thread about it. I've heard that allot of people have done this to basically make it a bit more ballsy sounding and have been pleased with the results, so I'm confident it'll work out nicely. Though just to clarify I don't play any thrash or metal at all so this will be from a blues/rock perspective.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
ya my cab is stereo, i always wondered WTF is a amp cab Stereo for LOL... now i know

also i hear ya on the flexablity of the 900, it does everything so well, the cleans are freaking AWESOME... but i rarly use them, only when i`m playing Seasons and 213, the 900 is the 1st tube amp i`ve really played and owned. my last amp was a Line 6 spider II 75HD 1/2 stack. Most people LOVE the JCM800 some people love the 900 and then some people hate the 900 but you NEVER hear ANYONE say they hate the 800.

oh and for the price theres a 800 thats $1200 and one thats $1500, the one i`m looking at is one of the cheaper ones. i also was hell bent on getting a JCM 800 2203 but since i got my 1960 A cab OMG my 50 watt JCM is FREAKING loud... SO MUCH louder then with the 2X12 cab. so now i`m thinking a 100 watt head might be overkill, but the 50 watt is perfect. right now i even have the high low switch on low, even 25 watts is pretty loud,

i was also thinking of running both heads because the 800 is a single channel, so the 800 would be my distortion amp and the 900 would be the cleans. but i need the money LOL i don`t know if i could afford to keep both heads.
JCM900 definitely has better cleans to me and can go a little higher on the gain. I'd rather keep it just for the versatility over a JCM800
you do have a point there horlicks

but everyone says the last of the good marshalls were the 800`s, i diddn`t even know about the 900`s till i came to this site LOL.

i`ll have to try to get ahold of that guy who mods amps around here and see what he`d charge to modd my 900, i just don`t want the Modded by Morris tag on the front LOL, hopfully i can take it off if i do get it modded.
Quote by Slayerdeath

but everyone says the last of the good marshalls were the 800`s, i diddn`t even know about the 900`s till i came to this site LOL.

so what? they arent you, you may not like the 800 at all, cranked my JCM is all i need, and with an od its perfect for me
Yiou do realise that anyone who was anyone modded their jcm800s to get more gain.

in fact that's why marshall made the 900. it was meant to be the marshall that you didn't need to mod in order to get those tones that everyone seemed to love.

My 4102 with a Digitech bad monkey gives me more than enough gain for metal and the cleans will rival most amps out there. I probably wouldn't trade it for a JCM800 but then my 900 is already using EL34s.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Lemon how do you like your 4102 with EL34s? As I said in my earlier post I recently took my exact same amp to be modded for EL34s. I'm mainly getting the mod for the distortion channels sake but I'm just wondering what effect it has on the clean channel?
Gear:
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
I like the cleans but tbh I don't play on them that much.

but even with my squier they sound decent enough.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Ok cool. I play mainly on distortion channel but I play on the clean channel enough to need the cleans to remain as good as they are currently.
Gear:
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Things that I prefer in a JCM 900 (4100)............(especially if you want more low-end):
- 100w 900's have different transformers which give a better low-end response
- a darker set of power/pre-amp tubes such as JJ, especially JJ E34L's.
- Bias it hot
- Replace your filter caps if they are old, this makes a big difference (the LCR 50/50's are getting hard to find but JJ makes a good replacement)
- use a very thick gauge speaker cable if you have a head and make it as short as possible.

These are all the things I do. Mine is a first year 900 though built in 1990 so it might be slightly different than older models
if you want a straight-ahead rock n' roll sound then the 800 is for you. you'll also want a distortion pedal and a boost pedal (for leads). if you want the option to use clean channels, you'll have to get real good with your volume knobs on your guitar (and get a volume pedal or something to compensate) or just run another head set for cleans.

if you want a more options and versatility, VERY NICE cleans, reverb and a more modern, higher-gain sound, then get the 900. the 800 is a classic, but it's not very versatile.

HAVING SAID ALL THAT, you are talking about two very high end all tube marshalls, that despite everything both sound amazing. between the 900 and the 800 you go from very good to excellent. see what i mean? how much of a difference is it going to make? it's not like the 900 sounds bad.

as for the low end concerns of the 900, turn up the bass and turn down the treble and presence, it does it for me. get a better cab as well. the 1960 vintage cab owns all.

as for tubes, my JCM900 4100 had 6L6's. i changed them out for E34L's. more balls, more bass end. smooth tone. i might try the 6L6's in the future, cuz they were bad when i got my head, but w/e.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
well...People say jcm800 has better cleans and jcm900 has that distortion.
However people say that jcm800 is better for metal too.
For example...jcm900 is the one for punk,punk rock,pop punk and this stuff...
I experienced it on my own...
Jcm800 is a british sounding amp...
Jcm 900 is more of a modern sounding amp...
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Wait...so you have a JCM 900 head and a 1960A 4x12, but you aren't satisfied with the amount of gain or the low end?

This befuddles me.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
I would buy a splawn

Personally I find the JCM800 sounds heavier, but that is probably because the 900 i compared it to had dying tubes. I would do the mods sugested by Gutch220.
i want a JCM 800 so bad but 1000 $ for one is a ridiculous price for me... if it came with the cab then id be happy but 1000 for a head? right. JCM 900 is atleast reasonably in the 500$ category
Quote by Highwaytohell
I would do the mods sugested by Gutch220.

I wouldn't call them mods since there are no changes in the circuit or components. JCM900's can be hit or miss. The rule of thumb (for me at least) is to buy as early of a JCM900 as possible as these are more hit than miss.
Quote by The Real Ming
Hey Swat Man, how is your Octafuzz? I just picked up a Ultimate Octave about a month ago. I can't stop messing with it, it is such a awesome pedal.

you know its weird i really like it a lot. i like the fuzz on my axis a lot more, and for some reason when i use the octave only part of my octafuzz along with my axis, the octave sounds really weird and screechy. so i usually use it with just my amp without my axis fuzz on because i cant figure what is wrong with it
Quote by Kozlic
well...People say jcm800 has better cleans and jcm900 has that distortion.
However people say that jcm800 is better for metal too.
For example...jcm900 is the one for punk,punk rock,pop punk and this stuff...
I experienced it on my own...
Jcm800 is a british sounding amp...
Jcm 900 is more of a modern sounding amp...

i think the first part of your post is mixed up. the vast majority of ppl i've heard talking about the 900 say it has AMAZING cleans. much better than the 800.

the 800 has the unmistakeable british crunch it's famous for. the 900 is more modern sounding and much higher gain. (which you said in the latter half of your post, that's why i said the first part of your post was mixed up )
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Quote by Gutch220
Things that I prefer in a JCM 900 (4100)............(especially if you want more low-end):
- 100w 900's have different transformers which give a better low-end response
- a darker set of power/pre-amp tubes such as JJ, especially JJ E34L's.
- Bias it hot
- Replace your filter caps if they are old, this makes a big difference (the LCR 50/50's are getting hard to find but JJ makes a good replacement)
- use a very thick gauge speaker cable if you have a head and make it as short as possible.

These are all the things I do. Mine is a first year 900 though built in 1990 so it might be slightly different than older models

mine`s a 1990 too, it already has JJE34L`s, no idea if it`s biased hot or not, and i have no idea what the filter caps are, i`m guessing there the round blue things??, my speaker cable is pretty thick and 3 feet long i think.
my 4100 has el34 and it needs a service and it still sounds good.i play metal through mine and i like how its sounds.i had a small issue with my od and settings resulting in some feedback but i think you should just stick with your 900.i mean if you really want a new amp head you should get something completely different for a different sound.thats just my opnion though

by the way my 4100 is an original too
Quote by Tiksi

Last edited by red_spider at Apr 15, 2008,
psychokiller99: HAVING SAID ALL THAT, you are talking about two very high end all tube marshalls, that despite everything both sound amazing. between the 900 and the 800 you go from very good to excellent. see what i mean? how much of a difference is it going to make? it's not like the 900 sounds bad.

as for the low end concerns of the 900, turn up the bass and turn down the treble and presence, it does it for me. get a better cab as well. the 1960 vintage cab owns all.

I do love my JCM900, it`s just, everyone raves about the 800 and i`ve read alot of people hating on the 900 and saying they break easy.

i`ve tried turning down the treble and presence, but it doesn`t sound as clear that way. i own a 1960A cab, that i just got and OMG made my JCM900 sound SOOOO much better, like everything.

HAHA yes i have a 1960 4X12, and OMG it sounds freaking AWESOME, it`s still missing that low end, just not as much as with the 2X12, god that was a horrible cab.

Swat Man: ya trust me JCM900`s are not in the $500 range, i`d laugh if anyone offered me that for mine.... i layed down $900 for mine, but everything is more here. oh and at the time it was the cheapest all tube amp i could find., and i don`t do E-bay.

red_spider: i have a HUGE issue with feed back if i have it cranked, i did have a ZW o/d infront of it and OMG, the feed back was CRAZY!!!.

Basicly if i can solve the lowend bass thing, i`ll be happy, maybe i`ll get it modded it`s gotta be cheaper the dropping a $1000 on a JCM800, is there any hotter tubes then the JJ E34L`s??? would the tubes in the JCM8002203KK fit in a JCM900?
The difference between the early 900s and the ones that followed is that the earlier ones used EL34s (up until '91 or '92 I think) and all that followed used 6L6. Mine I believe is a '96 and uses 6L6 though as I've said I'm getting that changed to EL34s with a mod. I think this is could be a reason people find the earlier ones "better" and the later ones more modern sounding etc.
Gear:
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Quote by Slayerdeath
psychokiller99: HAVING SAID ALL THAT, you are talking about two very high end all tube marshalls, that despite everything both sound amazing. between the 900 and the 800 you go from very good to excellent. see what i mean? how much of a difference is it going to make? it's not like the 900 sounds bad.

I do love my JCM900, it`s just, everyone raves about the 800 and i`ve read alot of people hating on the 900 and saying they break easy.

i`ve tried turning down the treble and presence, but it doesn`t sound as clear that way. i own a 1960A cab, that i just got and OMG made my JCM900 sound SOOOO much better, like everything.

HAHA yes i have a 1960 4X12, and OMG it sounds freaking AWESOME, it`s still missing that low end, just not as much as with the 2X12, god that was a horrible cab.

Swat Man: ya trust me JCM900`s are not in the $500 range, i`d laugh if anyone offered me that for mine.... i layed down $900 for mine, but everything is more here. oh and at the time it was the cheapest all tube amp i could find., and i don`t do E-bay.

red_spider: i have a HUGE issue with feed back if i have it cranked, i did have a ZW o/d infront of it and OMG, the feed back was CRAZY!!!.

Basicly if i can solve the lowend bass thing, i`ll be happy, maybe i`ll get it modded it`s gotta be cheaper the dropping a $1000 on a JCM800, is there any hotter tubes then the JJ E34L`s??? would the tubes in the JCM8002203KK fit in a JCM900?

tubes are universal sized. they just need to be biased. I reccomend Mullard El-34s.
Quote by Highwaytohell
I reccomend Mullard El-34s.

of course, everyone does, except they're too expensive