I own an agile al 2000, which is a nice les paul copy with humbuckers of course. I also have a roland micro cube, soon to be a vox ad30vt. I'm not that much of a metal head, but I love iron maiden. I think the guitar sounds a bit punchier than what I can achieve with my cube and lp copy though. Is it because iron maiden guitarists use strats with single coil pickups? Or is it the amp? I'm kind of tempted to get a guitar with single coils like a strat copy or a squier just so I can get a bit punchier of sound, but I am wondering if it's just because of the cube.
Dave Murray and Adrian Smith (I think) used single-coil sized buckers; Duncan Hotrails, I've been told. Close enough to the real thing. I might throw one in my Strat.
Well if the buckers in your Agile are fairly powerfull you should be able to get a simular sound.

Put your cube on the classic stack setting (the rectifier is too fizzy, and I think the micro cube doesn't have the metal setting?).

Have your mids at maybie 7 or 8, bass about 5, maybie higher with your cube haveing a small speaker and your treble about six, maybie add aa touch of reverb. If that doesn't get a simular just play around with the dials and you'll find somephing.
A tube amp is what it really is.
I'm not 100% sure on what amps they use (judging by their time period, probably marshall ).
Get a valve amp that's mid to high gain, a bit more vintagely voiced, tweak the EQ and stuff, you aren't far off
Well, what I meant was that if I want to sound a bit like Iron Maiden, do I need a strat with single coils? Or is it all in the amp? And by the way micro cubes dont have eq knobs. Hopefully I'll do better with my new vox ad30vt when it gets here.
Quote by spark29
Well, what I meant was that if I want to sound a bit like Iron Maiden, do I need a strat with single coils? Or is it all in the amp? And by the way micro cubes dont have eq knobs. Hopefully I'll do better with my new vox ad30vt when it gets here.

Well thats just it. They arent using single coils. They are actually using humbucker coils in a single coil config to fit in the single size opening at the neck of their guitar. So no, you dont need to get actual single coils. You'll lose the punch thats needed. Your guitar seems ample. Seems like your amp is the problem.
Infact most of the time there using full size buckers. I think it's only really Dave who uses hotrails in some of his strats. Eitherway, any fairy powerfull pickup should get you a simular tone. But bear in mind all differant models of pups have differant tones. I think in the older days of maiden they were using dimarzios and nowadays there using duncans, don't quote me on that though.
[quote="'']Infact most of the time there using full size buckers. I think it's only really Dave who uses hotrails in some of his strats. Eitherway, any fairy powerfull pickup should get you a simular tone. But bear in mind all differant models of pups have differant tones. I think in the older days of maiden they were using dimarzios and nowadays there using duncans, don't quote me on that though.

Muaha, I'm a bastard!

Yeah I thought only Dave used Rails. Oh well, he's sweet, so it all works out in the end.

(Those last sentences were filler; I had to write something instead of just calling myself a bastard.)
Hot rails are known for having a little less punch than full-sized humbuckers, too.

It shouldn't be too hard to get close, though, especially for Dave Murray's sound (he tends to use fewer effects than Adrian Smith). Dial in plenty of treble and mid-range to get close. Sometimes he uses a bit of delay for reverb or a little bit of phasing to thicken his tone.
Like someone mentioned before, Adrian Smith uses primarily strats (Fender even had an Adrian Smith sign. model a few years ago). Not sure what pickups they use now but they used Dimarzio in the 80's. I remember reading a GFPM interview during the time of their Somewhere In Time album, and I recall Dave Murray saying that he used a custom wound Dimarzio. I have a Super 3 in the bridge of my Les Paul clone. I have a digitech rp350 and can get an almost identical sound to Maiden's early to late 80's stuff. Here are the settings I use:

Amp model: any Marshall style model
Gain = 99
Bass Level = -6
Mid Level = -2
Treble Level = 4

Delay:

I use an analog delay sim with
Delay Time = 333
Feedback = 19
Duck Thresh = Off
Duck Atten = 75
Balance = 0
Level = 21

Reverb:
Hall type
Pre Delay = 2
Decay = 33
Damping = 31
Balance = 0
Level = 50

here is one of Adrian Smith's setups

Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Dave Murray and Adrian Smith (I think) used single-coil sized buckers; Duncan Hotrails, I've been told. Close enough to the real thing. I might throw one in my Strat.

Nothing but humbuckers here. One is an Ibanez; the other is an HH Strat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgqxQmAbTBc