I started learning moveable pentatonic scale patterns recently, and understand that they all lock together and can move up and down the fingerboard to play in different keys. It seems that any of the patterns can be played at any fret/key, as long as the other patterns that lock together are played at the appropriate fret in relation to the first pattern played.

So lets say for instance I'm going to play a solo in the key of G based on minor pentatonic patterns. Can you use any of the 5 moveable minor pentatonic patterns at the 3rd fret to start the solo, as long as the other patterns "lock in" to their proper position in relation to the scale pattern you start with? It looks like a lot of people only learn "pattern 1" ... the most common minor pentatonic pattern and they only learn riffs out of it and run that scale pattern up and down the neck for different keys. But I've already learned a few riffs in other patterns than the most popular "pattern 1", and am jumping between it and other patterns while attempting to improvise. Sorry if this question is confusing, but I'm trying to understand if there are any rules or "best practices" about which pattern start a solo?

Thanks
All the positions of all the scales are movable. When you move position one, you are moving all the other patterns evenly the same way: same goes for pattern two, three, etc...
Quote by hunter33
Can you use any of the 5 moveable minor pentatonic patterns at the 3rd fret to start the solo, as long as the other patterns "lock in" to their proper position in relation to the scale pattern you start with?
Yes.

Remember, though, scales are not positions, boxes, nor patterns. Those are helpful ways to remember when your fingers to go, but every scale covers the entire neck.

I'm sleepy, so helpful or no?
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Yes.

Remember, though, scales are not positions, boxes, nor patterns. Those are helpful ways to remember when your fingers to go, but every scale covers the entire neck.

I'm sleepy, so helpful or no?

Yes, thanks.