Page 1 of 5
My friends and I were talking about sub-genres in metal today, and how pointless some of them seem, sure, many of them are to tell the difference between different sounds/influences being introduced, but there really isn't a need for so many. We made a list of all the ones we could name, and compared to other genres like pop or rap, which have as many, if not more acts, which can all come under one term, it seems totally ridiculous. Here's the list:
Acoustic Metal,
Alternative Metal,
Black Metal,
Blackened Death Metal,
Brutal Death Metal,
Christian Metal,
Death Metal,
Deathened Black Metal,
Deathcore,
Deathgore,
Death Grind,
Doom Metal,
Emocore,
Folk Metal,
Funk Metal,
Glam Metal,
Gothic Metal,
Grindcore,
Goregrind,
Groove Metal,
Grunge,
Hardcore,
Heavy Metal,
Industrial Metal,
Melodic Black Metal,
Melodic Death Metal,
Melodic Metal,
Melodic Thrash Metal,
Metalcore,
New Wave Of British Heavy Metal (NWOBHM),
Nintendocore,
Nu Metal,
Pagan Metal,
Pirate Metal,
Playdo Metal (a genre my friend made up),
Post Metal,
Power Metal,
Pre Metal,
Progressive Metal,
Rap Metal,
Screamo,
Slam Metal,
Sludge/stoner Metal,
Speed Metal,
Symphonic Black Metal,
Symphonic Death Metal,
Technical Death Metal,
Thrash Metal,
Viking Metal,

(I am aware that some of these aren't considered metal, but I guess most if not all of them are influenced by heavy metal, or each other)

as you can see, there in an almost endless list of sub-genres for Metal, can you think of any I've left out? And do you agree that these could be easily combined/shortened into a handfull of sub-genres?
Last edited by \m/Gaz at Apr 22, 2008,
Give an example of a band next to each genre? xD

Screamo =/= Metal IMO
"Punk is a state of mind, and no one can take that away from you."
Emocore,
Screamo,
Pirate Metal

Emocore and Screamo? What the hell, you consider these metal?

Subgenres are there for a reason, and for most of those there is a very clear distinction.
Last edited by webbtje at Apr 14, 2008,
Core =/= Metal

Examples of Deathened Black Metal?
If you see me in the pit, know that I'm only there because the metal forum is moving slowly.
Quote by Sn^ke

i think nebarskan is a cool guy, eh wears a nile and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote by stanleybach
Aren't you proud to wear that Nile? You don't afraid of anything man!
I think the list is far too big and should be shortened, but a lot of the the fans of the major metal genres are too close-minded and proud to want things that sound like "band b" to be grouped with their beloved "band a." Goes for any genre and its sub-genres. I think it's ridiculous.
You mentioned Melodic Death Metal twice.

Also, pre Metal? Acoustic Metal?

And Symphonic Death Metal? That would involve amazing amounts of win, but I don't think I've heard it before.

Oh yea, one you left out is Death N Roll. Listen to some entombed (Wolverine Blues era) to hear a classic example.
Quote by AAAAAAAAAARGH

And Symphonic Death Metal? That would involve amazing amounts of win, but I don't think I've heard it before.

Orion from Behemoth is the guitarist/frontman for a band like that. Give us a minute to let me find the name for you.
wut is viking and pirate metal?
Quote by horny_cactus
Who's Rick Roll? Sorry for my ignorance I just joined this forum so I don't yet Know that member.
Therion is apparently Symphonic DM but all I've heard from them was more symphonic stuff.
If you see me in the pit, know that I'm only there because the metal forum is moving slowly.
Quote by Sn^ke

Quote by stanleybach
if this list is to be taken seriously, i think acoustic black metal should be on it :P
impaled northern moonforest ftw
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
Quote by metalminded07
wut is viking and pirate metal?

Two types of delicious metal! Viking metal is similar to folk, as is Pirate, but Pirate metal has alot of accordian stuff and "Yar!"
JK about the "Yar!" lol.
Alestorm FTW!
Quote by Sn^ke

Quote by stanleybach
i cant see power metal..
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
i say hang the sense of it and I just call it metal. I've not the hours in the day to worry about whether this is grind metal death core or death grind metal core. Put it on, crank it up, rock out!
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by Magero
This list was written by someone who clearly doesn't understand what the term "genre" means.
/I leave

haha, I'm quite aware of what it means thanks, and yes there were some people shouting random names out, and apparently (according to my friend) there is a difference between blackened death and deathened black, what it is I don't know? :/
Quote by \m/Gaz

Playdo Metal (a genre my friend made up),
Nintendocore,
Acoustic Metal,
Post Metal,
Pre Metal,
Deathgore,

Never heard of those...
Btw, you forgot Slam Death Metal, Melodic Polka Grind, Shred Metal and Neo-classical Metal, Finnish Polka Metal (Finntroll (I know they're primarily folk metal but they have polka influences as well)).
Last edited by Pingis_Or_Death at Apr 14, 2008,
I generally stick to Heavy Metal, Thrash Metal, Doom Metal, Progressive Metal, Death Metal, Melodic Death Metal, Black Metal, Power Metal and Folk Metal.

I know I'm missing a really obvious sub-genre out but I really can't think what...
Quote by fukyu1980
LOL ! muther fuker i was gonna say that LOL!
No Power metal, no Epic metal(s), no Neoclassical?
Melodic Death metal twice?

Screamo, hardcore, emocore, and God help me, GRUNGE!?

TS, you worry me.

Pirate Metal is mighty awesome.
Quote by ValoRhoads
i say hang the sense of it and I just call it metal. I've not the hours in the day to worry about whether this is grind metal death core or death grind metal core. Put it on, crank it up, rock out!

Subtle difference between funeral doom and power metal.
Quote by \m/Gaz
haha, I'm quite aware of what it means thanks, and yes there were some people shouting random names out, and apparently (according to my friend) there is a difference between blackened death and deathened black, what it is I don't know? :/

Here, give your friend this free pass for one full trip on the failboat.
this whole sub-genre thing is just retarded, what's wrong with just 'Metal' as a genre, would that really hurt?
''Quietly turning the backdoor key
Stepping outside she is free.''

My Equipment =

Fender 2008 American Standard Stratocaster
Vox ADVT15-XL
Aria ASP-30
Quote by Milesthedude
No Doom metal, no Power metal, no Epic metal(s), no Neoclassical?
Melodic Death metal twice?

Screamo, hardcore, emocore, and God help me, GRUNGE!?

TS, you worry me.

Pirate Metal is mighty awesome.

Doom metal is there, but even Doom can be separated into a few subgenres of its own. It's non-stop really.

I don't mind excessive genres, it just makes my quest for new music a lot easier by making each attribute very specific.

For example, I really like death metal - But sometimes I'm in the mood for melody, sometimes brutality. Genres exist for a reason. Without them everything would be lumped together, and finding bands that suit your mood/style would have a lot more difficult.
yeah, but I think the use of sub-genres has gone way too far with Metal, it's understandable to some extent, but this list clearly proves...it's way over board.

My Equipment =

Vox ADVT15-XL
Aria ASP-30
Quote by Hoodoo Child
i cant see power metal..

It's because you are mentally retarded. Don't worry, you'll see it.
Quote by AAAAAAAAAARGH
You mentioned Melodic Death Metal twice.

Also, pre Metal? Acoustic Metal?

Oh yea, one you left out is Death N Roll. Listen to some entombed (Wolverine Blues era) to hear a classic example.

I think Peter Tagtgren of Hypocrisy fronts a Symphonic Death Metal band, but I might be wrong.
DETHKLOK IS TEH ROXORZ!!!
What's the difference between grindcore and grindgore? I have nly heard grindcore before.
Quote by Punks|Not|Dead
Give an example of a band next to each genre? xD

Screamo =/= Metal IMO

DAMN YOU FOR FLARING MY OCD!
Quote by \m/Gaz

Heavy Metal, = Black Sabbath
Thrash Metal, = Slayer
Black Metal, = Mayhem
Death Metal, = Cannibal Corpse
Slam Metal, = Devourment
Viking Metal, = Just a term to talk about bands with Viking themed lyrics and imagery.
Pirate Metal, = Alestorm
Sludge/stoner Metal, = High On Fire
Speed Metal, = Motorhead
Blackened Death Metal, = Behemoth
Deathened Black Metal, = Akercocke
Grindcore, = The Berzerker
Metalcore, = Trivium [not allowed here]
Deathcore, = All Shall Perish
Grindgore, = Carcass
Folk Metal, = Turisas
Hardcore, = Black Flag [not allowed here]
Gothic Metal = Lacuna Coil,
Emocore, = Another name for screamo [not allowed]
Screamo, = Circle Takes the Square [not allowed here]
Playdo Metal (a genre my friend made up), = then why the fuck is it in this list
Glam Metal, = Motley Crue [Not allowed here]
Pagan Metal, = Another name for folk metal
Christian Metal, = Same as Viking metal, only with christian themes
Melodic Death Metal, = In Flames
Melodic Metal, = Term used for heavy metal that has more melodic sections
Melodic Death Metal, = you mentioned it twice
Melodic Thrash Metal, = I loathe the term, although its supposed to describe bands that play thrash with a more melodic edge
Nu Metal, = Slipknot [not allowed here]
Rap Metal, = Same as nu-metal [not allowed here]
Symphonic Black Metal, = Dimmu Borgir
Symphonic Death Metal, = Therion
Industrial Metal, = Fear Factory
Progressive Metal, = Dream Theater
Brutal Death Metal, = Nile
Technical Death Metal, = Necrophagist
Nintendocore, = Stupid name given for DragonForce due to their sound being influenced by video games
Doom Metal, = My Dying Bride
Groove Metal, = Pantera
Funk Metal, = Never heard the term before, although I guess some Primus would fit under this
Acoustic Metal, = Redundant term given to some progressive metal bands like Opeth who have a lot of clean sections
New Wave Of British Heavy Metal (NWOBHM), = Diamond Head
Post Metal, = Mastodon
Pre Metal, = Never heard the term, assuming its for bands who would help develop the metal sound without being metal
Death Grind, = Napalm death
Grunge, = Nirvana. not metal. [not allowed here]
Alternative Metal, = System of a down [term is normally used for nu-metal without rapping] [Not allowed here]
Deathgore, = Waking the cadaver
Quote by wideheim
What's the difference between grindcore and grindgore? I have nly heard grindcore before.

Grindgore = Goregrind.

It's basically just Grindcore, but with lyrics based on gore themes. There's no musical differences.
Quote by wideheim

An idiot thought he'd change a letter thinking it would be 'rad'

My Equipment =

Vox ADVT15-XL
Aria ASP-30
Quote by PhilBurrows2008
this whole sub-genre thing is just retarded, what's wrong with just 'Metal' as a genre, would that really hurt?

Because different artists play metal in wildly varying stryles, all of which you may not like.

For example, I love heavy metal, nwobhm type stuff- Maiden, Priest, etc, and I can listen to it anytime, anywhere. But Drone metal like Sun O))) and Boris annoys me if it's not just in the background.

Therefore I can say I like the style of one bunch of artists better than that of another, although it's all still metal.

It's like calling all painting's painting's and not differentiating between watercolours and oil paints and cubism and stuff (not that I know art, but thats a more visual image).
but..it's gone to the point of 'Pirate Metal' now, I mean, come on!

My Equipment =

Vox ADVT15-XL
Aria ASP-30
Quote by Magero
Go listen to Alestorm then stfu

I am alright thanks

My Equipment =

Vox ADVT15-XL
Aria ASP-30
Then stop preaching retarded opinions.

Genres are not opinions
These are facts defined by sound.
So either take it, or shut up.

edit: And learn to use the goddamn edit button
But why are there so much sub-genres? It's just stupid, and no I won't take it lol I can't possibly be the only person who thinks this lol

My Equipment =

Vox ADVT15-XL
Aria ASP-30
Okey.

Thats pretty ridicilous imo, a genre to me describes how the sound of the music is like, not what the lyrics is about. If we started to name genres after that there could be millions.

Political Thrash Metal
Party/Beer-drinking thrash metal
Gore Death Metal
Dragonthemed Power Metal
Troll-themed Power Metal
Ihateeverything Death Metal
Suicidal Black Metal
Antiwar Metal

Too bad most of the metalcommunity dont understand how ridicilous this looks like.
Quote by PhilBurrows2008
You have a Last.fm account consiting of awful bands. I mean, I'd understand if Led Zeppelin or something was the most played, but...

Go sit in the corner.

You will not last.
Page 1 of 5