My Valveking broke after 1 day so now I kinda hate it.

I want suggestions on tube amps at around 500€ (~750$). I have a Zoom G2 with an Ibanez GRX40 but in the future I'll buy a Metal Muff (pretty soon) and an ESP LTD EC-500 (in a year or so).

The amp must be tube. It must be great for metal because that's basically the only thing I play. I really don't know if I'm willing to go used, do the tubes need to be replaced then?

I can't afford a head+cabs, so only alternative is a combo.

I don't gig, I just jam with some friends sometimes, don't know how serious it is but we'll probably get some gigs this summer.

Thanks in advance.
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
Randall RG50TC?

And what broke on your VK? It seems a bit silly to say you don't like it because it broke after 1 day. I think you were just unlucky.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Randall RG50TC?

And what broke on your VK? It seems a bit silly to say you don't like it because it broke after 1 day. I think you were just unlucky.

Power tube. Well first I really liked the Valveking, but now when I really think I realize it did not got as much gain as I wanted. I'll look at the Randall.
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Well the Randall has way more gain, but the clean channel suffers.

Good Luck.

Ye it seems to have pretty much gain, and I don't really care in the clean channel because I don't play any clean stuff except some Metallica stuff like One etc.
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
^You WANT the clean tone from one?
Eww.

Just kidding. The Randall will suit you well.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by fila_93
Power tube. Well first I really liked the Valveking, but now when I really think I realize it did not got as much gain as I wanted. I'll look at the Randall.

isn't it a lot cheaper to just replace the power tube?
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Quote by Farether
isn't it a lot cheaper to just replace the power tube?

Well, of course I'll get money back from thomann.

Any other suggestions than the Randall?
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
Quote by darkarbiter7
^You WANT the clean tone from one?
Eww.

I LIKE that clean tone lol
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
I LIKE that clean tone lol

Ugh. I hate it.
Kind of brittle, and not my thing.
I could see how some people would like it though.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Yeah but let's not discuss One's clean tone, just give me some advices.
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
Something about the VK inspired you to buy it. Did you really give it a chance owning it one day? I understand the frustration with the thing crapping out, completely. Why did you buy it over the Randall to begin with?
dont get a metal muff if you buying a tube amp, the gain will be superior from the amp, if you need an extra push get a tubescreamer maybe.
Quote by gregs1020
Something about the VK inspired you to buy it. Did you really give it a chance owning it one day? I understand the frustration with the thing crapping out, completely. Why did you buy it over the Randall to begin with?

I didn't have a chans to try the Randall cuz I live in a small city so it's like one small music store near me. I liked the VK which the music store had, but I bought it from thomann.de bevause it was cheaper.

I really like the vavleking on the clean channel running my zoom g2 through it, and that's a digital multifx. I wonde how it will sound with a metal muff.

I'm gonna take my money back and then I really don't know if I'm heading to the music store and buy the 112 instead of the 212 so I could crank it a little more or simply buy another amp.

^vitch, I thought of running the metal muff through a clean channel. I don't want to buy both an od and a footswitch anyways so.
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
Quote by fila_93
I didn't have a chans to try the Randall cuz I live in a small city so it's like one small music store near me. I liked the VK which the music store had, but I bought it from thomann.de bevause it was cheaper.

I really like the vavleking on the clean channel running my zoom g2 through it, and that's a digital multifx. I wonde how it will sound with a metal muff.

I'm gonna take my money back and then I really don't know if I'm heading to the music store and buy the 112 instead of the 212 so I could crank it a little more or simply buy another amp.

Are you joking? When I had the Zoom G2.1U the thing I hated most was the amp modelling
Quote by Horlicks
Are you joking? When I had the Zoom G2.1U the thing I hated most was the amp modelling

You see? I liked the amp together with my zoom, so If i bought a metal muff and just used the zoom as noise gate I would probably pee my pants cuz hopefully I would get kinda Metallica sound. I think I'm gonna go the music store, give the valveking another chanse and run it with a metal muff. not sure though.
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
from the sounds of ur buying and trying skills, you have no idea what you really want yet. ur gonna be exchanging amps for a while if you keep goin like you are. DON'T buy a tube amp if you're gonna stick a dist. pedal in front of it. REDUNDANT. if you want metallica tone, get a JCM800 and start there. that should be pretty close. either that or get a Randall MTS amp.

seriously, you don't know what you want. you need to really sit down at a Guitar Center or somethin and try a slew of amps.

(constructive criticism)
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Check out the Windsor combo just because.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

I really feel for you guys/gals that can't try stuff out or don't have access to large store chains that have a decent amount of gear. I have not tried the Randall, but I did like the VK 112 when I tried it. Good luck friend.
^i agree w/ gregs.

EVERY piece of gear i own i tried out FIRST at a local shop. hence why 90% is still in my posession.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Yeah it kinda sucks to not being able to try out things...

and yo slash: no I really don't know what kinda amp I want. But what's wrong with sticking a dist pedal in front of a tube amp really? And JCM800 is waaaay outta what I can afford.
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
a used jcm800 is in the $7-900 range.

and i'll tell you what's wrong with it: tube amps for the most part are famous for TUBE BREAKUP. and TUBE DISTORTION. getting a dist. pedal is just getting FAKE distortion that's trying to model a high gain tube amp. you see where i'm going w/ this?

and OD pedal on a dirty channel or hi gain channel of a tube amp (IF ur tube amp has a really heavy gain channel) is PERFECTLY OK. that's not creating FAKE distortion, that's BOOSTING tube breakup.

if you're just gonna put a distortion pedal in front of ur amp, you need to get a SS amp w/ really good cleans that likes pedals. otherwise, you're pretty much killing the purpose of having a tube amp. unless of course you like the sound of close-to-breaking-up cleans for blues and stuff. but i can tell already that you're primary want is distortion.

i hope i made myself clear bro, i'm NOT bashing YOU, just what you're wanting to do. and i myself have done tone redundant things too at one point, but u learn from mistakes, and mistakes of others. so learn from MY experience. rock on
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
u learn from mistakes, and mistakes of others. so learn from MY experience. rock on

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want... I dunno, just felt like that was applicable here. slash_rocks is balls on correct with regards to an OD pedal on a tube amp.
Quote by slash_rocks2005

and i'll tell you what's wrong with it: tube amps for the most part are famous for TUBE BREAKUP. and TUBE DISTORTION. getting a dist. pedal is just getting FAKE distortion that's trying to model a high gain tube amp. you see where i'm going w/ this?

and OD pedal on a dirty channel or hi gain channel of a tube amp (IF ur tube amp has a really heavy gain channel) is PERFECTLY OK. that's not creating FAKE distortion, that's BOOSTING tube breakup.

if you're just gonna put a distortion pedal in front of ur amp, you need to get a SS amp w/ really good cleans that likes pedals. otherwise, you're pretty much killing the purpose of having a tube amp. unless of course you like the sound of close-to-breaking-up cleans for blues and stuff. but i can tell already that you're primary want is distortion.

i hope i made myself clear bro, i'm NOT bashing YOU, just what you're wanting to do. and i myself have done tone redundant things too at one point, but u learn from mistakes, and mistakes of others. so learn from MY experience. rock on

Quote by slash_rocks2005

Ah okay, that really cleared thing up for me.
I will really get another amp then because I didn't like tha amp's overdrive channel...

Although I probably won't find an used JCM800 near me... Is there combos of them or just half/full stacks?
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
Bugera 6260 Combo, great cleans, high gain, would easily put your VK to shame
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
How about the Peavey 5150? I've heard it's a really high gain amp, how much would a used go for?
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
there are both JCM heads and combos. but for you i'd recommend combo over head and stack, for 90% of us on UG i'd recommend the same. you really need to go and try some out. i wouldn't go over 50 watts. that seems to be a perfect wattage for someone who wants to jam w/ friends, practice, and do good sized gigs....well....maybe a 30 watt would be better actually. I like havin my 50 watt and it suits me perfectly, but it's got a master volume as well as seperate volumes for the channels, so practicin volume is not an issue.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
5150s usually in the $500 to $700 range used i think. don't they only come in like 120 watt tho? if they had a 50 watt that'd be great for you since you could kinda crank it while jamming. 120 watts would be overkill tho and you'd never use it, then eventually downgrade.

and they seem to have instant death metal amount of gain in them. but cleans are about as bare minimum as you can get. if you're not gonna play any classic rock, blues, or clean stuff then i guess you wont be dissapointed.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Yeah I'd love to go try some amps out but in the store they have like max 20 amps. Not even so much. Cubes of all wattage, some Kustom, Hughes & Kettner, some Marshalls and a Valveking - really hard to find what you're looking for.
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube