Page 1 of 3
You are wrong, your statement is like saying football isn't sport cos expensive boots don't make you a better player.
Super Leeds and Classy Cas!
Quick! I see a troll! Let me try and catch it with my fishing rod and see if it works!
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
What's the big deal with Gibsons, anyway?
I've heard loads of Gibsons being played before
and they don't sound any more special than
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
Why is golf considered a sport? Why is poker considered a sport? Why is _______ considered a sport?

Because it is.
Quote by schecter_guy
there really is no skill involved. even using expensive equipment doesn't mean you'll catch a huge fish.

You'd be surprised how far experience and knowledge can get you in fishing.

Why is darts a sports? Who knows... who knows...
True....but there are different set ups used to catch different fish, so if you're fishing for something certain, you do need to know them, but other than that, it's not really a sport....You don't need to be healthy to do it....Hell, my grandpa was a huge fat guy and still went fishing...No athletisism whatsoever.....
8th member of Right-handed guitarists who are actually Left-handed group.

Quote by freedoms_stain
Although when it comes to quality Metallica take a big steaming turd on the Spice Girls faces (and you know the ginger one is loving it)...
Why is poker a sport? Why is NASCAR a sport?

Just go with it......No one knows for sure.
SAVE THE JAZZ

"Remember, there are two kinds of people in the world:
People who finish things, and"
Fishing is definitely a sport. Theres a lot of stuff to learn if you want to catch some good fish.
We're only strays.
Quote by schecter_guy
there really is no skill involved. even using expensive equipment doesn't mean you'll catch a huge fish.

It's all experience*... just because you have expensive stuff doesn't mean your good... it could mean your a rich snob

*And a 'lil bit of luck
Quote by innertom
So much down syndrome

remember UG Community? thought so.
There evidently is skill. My dad's put years and years into fishing, and he's good.

I've put not a lot of time into it, I'm reasonably bad at it.
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
Quote by sashki
Fact: just cos they might show it on a sports channel doesn't make it an official sport...

You're right, it's the fact that it's a competitive activity that requires both knowledge and skill that makes it an official sport.
Quote by sashki
Did I get it right?

Sure. I love nerds.

And to TS, have you ever been fishing? It's a lot more skill oriented than it seems.
because its competitive?
anything u compete at could be called a sport i guess
Quote by ukuleleftw
When is beating your cat not justified?

Quote by Gaz_m2k5
This is almost as stupid as when someone thought there might be a UG warehouse where all the tabs are stored.

July 8th, 2007 @ Wembley - Best day ever
Quote by schecter_guy
both require skill. fishing does not.

you've never been fishing have you?
of cours eit takes skill, a novice cant hook a big fish, its not just hook, pull onto boat, its hard to get a fish on without it tearing free. your right you might not get a big fish, but the skill is being able to get it when it does come
so dont try to belittle something ou dont understand
Quote by no lolage
Troll used splash attack

.....but it had no effect

Well done good sir!
Quote by Alter-Bridge
If I had sex as much as you said the word "shit" I would be paris hilton.

Quote by rworsl
I have never felt closer to either cheese or weasels

Quote by Vermintide

DURN THING DUN GONE MESS UP AGIYAN. MARGE, FETCH ME MAH BOOMSTIYAK
Quote by CtrlAltDel
You're right, it's the fact that it's a competitive activity that requires both knowledge and skill that makes it an official sport.

How does one classify an official sport?

Fishing does involve great skill and experience, but it's not so much of a physical challenge (unless you've got a huge fish on the line).

Darts I can just about understand. Chess, I guess also, only it strains the brain rather than the muscles...

But Poker?
First of all, I never really saw how much of a "game" poker is. It's entirely random! All you do is try to predict what cards will come next. There's hardly any involvement.
In other card games, even if there's a random element, at least there's a tactical one, too.

Also, a game like Warhammer is a competitive activity that requires knowledge and skill. Why isn't that a sport?
Quote by imgooley
Why is golf considered a sport? Why is poker considered a sport? Why is _______ considered a sport?

Because it is.

Poker isn't a sport?
Quote by schecter_guy

Thats just being stupid, obviously it takes skill, otherwise anybody could be on fishing shows and magazines.
Posted By Joth
BassyJoey has a sweet toosh!
Quote by sashki
How does one classify an official sport?

Fishing does involve great skill and experience, but it's not so much of a physical challenge (unless you've got a huge fish on the line).

Darts I can just about understand. Chess, I guess also, only it strains the brain rather than the muscles...

But Poker?
First of all, I never really saw how much of a "game" poker is. It's entirely random! All you do is try to predict what cards will come next. There's hardly any involvement.
In other card games, even if there's a random element, at least there's a tactical one, too.

Also, a game like Warhammer is a competitive activity that requires knowledge and skill. Why isn't that a sport?

Well, for my definition, I classified it by looking it up in a dictionary.

But I see what you mean. Poker doesn't require ANY physical ability. But I do disagree with you about involvement... in poker, you don't just play your cards, you play your opponents, which is a big mental game. Still, I wouldn't call poker a sport because that's a slippery slope for all sorts of activities to call themselves sports when they are clearly not.

Fishing has a pretty strong degree of mental and physical activity: you need to know where to fish, what bait to use, etc etc. Plus, ask any guy who's ever spent 2-3 hours reeling in a huge catch if there's a physical aspect involved, and he'll tell you.

Now, not every fisherman has a moment where they spend 2-3 hours reeling in a fish of that size, but to classify "fishing" in general as not being a sport is totally senseless.
Quote by schecter_guy

You couldnt be more wrong

Do not provoke me into launching a rant that would silence you forever
Sport - an active diversion requiring physical exertion and competition

so anything competetive could be considered a sport. hop-scotch anyone?

and there is skill involved in fishing. Granted its not a physical skill such as in basketball or football, but someone who has years of experience will do better than someone whos new to it. so yes, there is skill involved. Theres actually quiet abit more to fishing than just throwing out line and reeling it in. Im not saying its a hard thing to master or anything, im just saying that there is skill involved. Knowing exactly what bait to use in certain weather in a certain time of year in a certain sized pond is a skill.
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while f
Last edited by rebeltildeth87 at Apr 14, 2008,
Quote by schecter_guy

fishing,shooting,bowling,archery.Anybody can cast a line,squeeze a trigger,roll a ball,draw a arrow but doing it good and precise with knowledge is another situation.
Les Claypool says STFU.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by broady15
because its competitive?
anything u compete at could be called a sport i guess

So if my friend and I decided to see who could drop the biggest deuce, shitting could be a sport?

I still believe fishing is a sport though, it takes more skill than you would think.
If morning's a bitch with open arms, night's a girl who's gone too far.

OMGWTFBBQ
Because fish aren't that easy to reel in. You can easily snap your line if you don't know what you're doing. It's competitive too, there's tournaments all the time during season.
BRIGHT LIGHTS PUT ME IN A TRANCE.
but it aint house music that makes me want to dance.
Quote by Craigo
You'd be surprised how far experience and knowledge can get you in fishing.

Why is darts a sports? Who knows... who knows...

I'd say the large amount of skill required makes it a sports hehe

Same with snooker.
Private guitar lessons available in West London, UK with an experienced and qualified tutor. Most subjects/styles covered. PM me for more information.
The general rule is PASSION.

can you have a passion for fishing? then its a sport.

that rules not that great.
I understand the question og fishing beeing a sport, but the "no skill" part is funny!

lets say WW3 was over and were back to basics.... lets see if you (if you have no experience) can keep yourself alive on fish longer than I can. ( Yes I have some frustrating and long hours and days by the lake/river/sea)And then you can deside if I have any skills or not.
Stuff:VOX AD50VT
Gibson SG faded
Old steelstringed calssic
Hag Viking

Quote by SeveralSpecies
Well aren't you the ignorant asshat?
Quote by g1asseye

Same with snooker.

I have always wanted to play snooker. It sounds bad ass and sexy at the same time.
Quote by schecter_guy

I disagree. The same reason that the same handful of poker players all do well and all make it far in the top tournaments is the same reason they have tournament fishermen - while there is definitely luck involved, there's also definitely skill involved. My neighbor growing up was a tournament bass fishermen. Put us in the same boat on the same lake fishing the same area with the same equipment, he's gonna pull in more and bigger fish because he knows the skill. And then there's fly fishing, which is just an art.
Hi, I'm Peter

Reel that in and tell me fishing's not a sport.

Deep Sea fishing really covers the athletic portion of fishing. Fly fishing covers the finesse, art, and skill, and ALL fishing requires experience to be halfway decent at.
Quote by saxaxe

Reel that in and tell me fishing's not a sport.

Deep Sea fishing really covers the athletic portion of fishing. Fly fishing covers the finesse, art, and skill, and ALL fishing requires experience to be halfway decent at.

I love how that poster in front of the girl says "The Hooker".

@Mudmen-
If you dont sweat then its not a sport

And you cant count the fat sweaty men who play darts in the pub all the time.....
Darts, Poker, Fishing, Archery...all things that men do and class as sports to get away from their wives/partners.

Ahhhh.

/thread
This week I have mostly been listening to...

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
As an additional remark, I would advise everybody to stfu and listen to Buz XD

Page 1 of 3