Ok so I've really been getting into my prog lately. Bands such as Porcupine Tree, Tool (of course) and Cog thanks to the recent review. I'm a big fan of Dream Theater, though I'm looking for more the style suggested by the former bands. Any suggestions?
Also feel free to express opinions on the given bands here

Cheers guys
you wanna buy a bus ticket mate?
hmm ive heard of symphony x, though i havent actually heard them.
Are they not more of a Dream Theater-esque band?
What're Davo like?
symphony x
a perfect circle
outworld
nevermore
maybe strapping young lad
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
Coheed and Cambria are pretty awesome. A lot of people don't like them now because they have become more mainstream, but I still enjoy them. If you're interested, their newest album has some great songs on it, like Gunslingers and Gravediggers, No World For Tomorrow, and The Running Free.
This sig is
Quote by kill 'em pretty
hmm ive heard of symphony x, though i havent actually heard them.
Are they not more of a Dream Theater-esque band?
What're Davo like?

lol davvo, 'want some gas mate?'

but ya they are, coheed is a good suggestion, in keeping secrets, and good apollo part 1 are probabley the best 2 albums to start on

also kansas
lol just thought id put it in there
ahh yeah i downloaded(naughty me eh) some C&C stuff recently though havent sat down and given it a proper listen. SYL i like, perfect circle are again a band i have heard of though haven't listened to. From what ive heard of nevermore i would'nt personally have classed them as prog?
a perfect circle are very much worth listening to if you like porcupine tree and tool, same singer as tool, but almost sound a bit like PT (to me anyway)
nevermore it depends, some of the albums sound just very thrashy some take a more prog direction
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
ah right, very cool! was unaware of the relation between a perfect circle and tool. maynard is a bit of a genius.
I'd like to stay away from the thrashy side of the spectrum for the mean time, I'm into the more mellow side, the sort you could picture yourself smoking weed to and contemplating the origin of the universe kinda crap.
Ahaha.
Check out Isis. You might like some of their stuff. A few songs I'd recommend are "Dulcinea" "Garden of Light" and "1,000 Shards"

Also, this might not be exactly what your looking for but I'll play a wild card and suggest Explosions in the Sky. They're an instrumental band and seem a little more geared toward atmospheric than prog but still very good.

EDIT: Based on your last post I'm almost certain you'll like Explosions in the Sky lol. Check out "A Song For Our Fathers" by them.
No one knows what it's like... to be a dustbin... in Shaftesbury... with hooligans...
Last edited by Child Of Maiden at Apr 14, 2008,
Opeth - def give them a bash, they take a while to get into spesh if your not into the cookie monster vocals, but after a few plays it will be less shocking and overwhealming and just agressive which is the aim.

Biffy Clyro are kinda of progressive in places, experimenting wid odd time sigs and constructions, nice and scottish

InMe also a UK band, recently got a bit more progressive and technical with their compisitions, so check them out, mainly hard rock though

Devin Townsend, his solo projects are very progressively influenced, spesh zitoild the omnisicent - long songs, complex compisitions, odd time sigs, wide range of genres and a concept album.

Mastadon - mainly metal but also very experimental for the genre, also the drum is ace, literally i dont no how hes got the stamina

Meshuggah - fathers of tech metal, just check them out, extremly agressive aswell as progressive

Sikth - underground band in UK, more tech metal but also experiments and goes pretty epic

To-Mera - and extremly progressive and sophisicated band after two albums, another UK underground band, female vocals

Pain of Salvation - very epic and diverse band from sweden
Well i'll go classic at first and say Rush, Kansas, and King Crimson

If you want some mellower bands try Riverside and Redemption. Redemption is more a long the lines as DT. Some other bands to check out are Three, Yes, and Queens of the Stone Age
The most talented man on earth...
Quote by strings.of.fury
You could try 30 seconds to mars's self titled album. Kinda progressive/spacious, I love it.

No.

Try Muse, really good progressive rock band.
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
Yeah Muse is really good but you HAVE to check out Oceansize.
GOODBYE BLUE SKY
The Mars Volta. Although they're much more explosive than bands like Muse, Porcupine Tree, etc. But someone who likes Dream Theater could get into them.

I highly recommend their newest album, The Bedlam In Goliath.
The.
Quote by IHATECHILDREN
I highly recommend their newest album, The Bedlam In Goliath.

I wouldnt highly recommend, its good but it doesnt come close to "Frances The Mute" or "De-loused..."

But yeah, The Mars Volta definatly.

Originally Posted by Kirk Hammett

Its the notes in between that are fucking with me
cheers guys, muse are kickass of course, saw them over a year ago in belfast and managed to get to the railing directly in front of bellamy, probably the best live gig ive witnessed, and ive seen maiden:O
I'm slowly but surely working my way through a lot of the bands yous have reccomended and so far theres a few that have tickled my fancy. Any other suggestions are still more than welcome of course.
Not really a progressive band in the sense of the other bands mentioned, but Soundgarden. They incorporated a lot of prog elements in their playing like odd time signatures and weird solos. Their earlier stuff was a slower kind of metal (they're from the grunge scene) and slowly progressed to modern rock. Loud Love, Superunkown and Down On The Upside (chronological order) are my favourite albums.