i've so far lend most of the basics of guitar up untill barre chord and now kinda think they are ... impossible, i mean it, my fingers don't have that many joints and are not big enough.

my question is how on earth you you fret this!:

______
| 1 | | | 1
| | | | 2 |
| | 3 4 | |

yha its an a minor one
i can't get my fingers around this let alone an e minor ect.

do the fingers press down all strings from fifth string (although i don't get why string 4 3 and 2 ain't numbered if this is the case) so i'm guessing not.
question is if i'm right how do you get your fingers to do that is there a particular method im missing or is this normal, how do you do it?
You dont have to play that very bottom note. Just play the first 1 note, as well as the 2, 3, and 4 notes. Like a power chord, but with the extra finger at the bottom.
Yeah you press down all strings with your index finger. However, skipping the top string is kinda dumb, doesn't do any good. Most people will bar their index finger across the same way if playing an F vs. playing a B flat. The middle strings aren't numbered because they really don't matter, it's not like you have to properly fret them, because your other fingers are taking care of those strings.

The biggest thing when barring is that the bottom part of your finger needs to fret the bottom string or two, then the end of your finger needs to mash down the top string or two. So, your finger doesn't have to be perfectly flat, it can kind of be in the shape of an arch, because of your other fingers. It feels flat when you are playing but if you were to take the other fingers away, most players would buzz badly on those middle strings.
Last edited by corndogggy at Apr 14, 2008,
You can fret or Barre the entire 1st fret with your index finger, or you do not even have to. Since you are already fretting with your middle finger (fret 2), and your ring and pinky on fret 3, any string you fret behind it wont matter.

As good practice, you should start to build up the hand strength in order to be able to barre an entire fret across all strings.

And in your example, you do not have to play the low E.
Quote by corndogggy
Yeah you press down all strings with your index finger. However, skipping the top string is kinda dumb, doesn't do any good. Most people will bar their index finger across the same way if playing an F vs. playing a B flat. The middle strings aren't numbered because they really don't matter, it's not like you have to properly fret them, because your other fingers are taking care of those strings.

The biggest thing when barring is that the bottom part of your finger needs to fret the bottom string or two, then the end of your finger needs to mash down the top string or two. So, your finger doesn't have to be perfectly flat, it can kind of be in the shape of an arch, because of your other fingers. It feels flat when you are playing but if you were to take the other fingers away, most players would buzz badly on those middle strings.

Said it better than I did...
Quote by AcsticRckr89
use the code wrap stuff around the chord... cuz we cant read that
sorry don't know there are things like that where d u get it from?
1 on the A and e-string with your index finger
3 on the D-string with your 3rd finger (what's that finger called in english?)
4 on the G-string (haha) with your pinky
2 on the B-string with your middle finger

Not that impossible is it?
"Code" isn't an actual number code it's this:

You type [.code] in front of what you want to write, then when you're finished you type and it comes out like that ^^^(Don't put the periods i did that on purpose. Just without the period
i can't get my index finger in the right shape to do that do i lay it accross all the strings in between the A and e string in order to do it?
Quote by wolfie_kaynine
why don't u have to fret it?

I still can't read your tab but let's say you wanna play a barre chord F (If you don't know what that is it's in my earlier post)

You would barre the 1st fret using your pointer finger but you don't necessarily need to get a sound out of all the strings because your other three fingers give it the F chord sound anyway.

So if you're just trying to learn songs then mute the string with your pointer instead of pushing down and eventually build strength in your finger to get a clean sound
If you're going for the alternative barre chord like E for instance

Customarily you use your ring finger to hit the 9's on the B G and D strings but if yuo have trouble bending your finger that way you can use your pinky, ring, and "badmother finger" to fret them instead.

Eventually when you gain more strength in your fingers you can try hitting them with your ring finger only.
One of the best pieces of advice I've gotten out of reading this forum is to always bar all 6 strings (as opposed to barring on the 5th for notes rooted on the A string).

It may be easier when you start bar chords to work off the 5th tho as its fewer strings to try and hold down, but the 6th is a lot more practical for actually playing songs.

And if it seems impossible it's probably just finger strength and flexibility, keep working at it. My fretting hand still cramps up at times esp if I'm playing A-shaped bar chords :S
My Gear
Epi Les Paul
Roland Microcube
Boss DS-1 pedal
Shure SM57
M-Audio Fasttrack
Playing barre chords are easier half-way up the neck. You could start there, and then work your way down to the first fret.
Quote by Steve BP
Playing barre chords are easier half-way up the neck.

They're usually tons easier there because most people don't have their guitar set up right, the nut height is too high, and you have no leverage when close to the nut.
They arent really impossible It took me weeks to get my first one down now Im working on learning others
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
I had the same problem as you, but eventually it just magically happened one day.
best advice is to keep building up the finger strength and you'll get it in no time.

also, on you off time start spreading your fingers apart to help building some flexibility...
good luck!
I think your problem is your thumb. make sure your thumb is behind the neck and not over like when you do a D chord...your thumb should be behind your fretting fingers..
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
use your index as a barre, and make the shape with the others..
its hard at first
but with practise, strength is gained it it becomes cool
Do you know how to fret an Open E Chord?

Thats essentially what you are doing there, except each finger moves a string up (physically down).

That is called an E shaped barre chord cause youre 2nd, 3rd and 4th fingers are making the SAME EXACT SHAPE as an E chord or A minor chord.

Your index finger, the barre, effectively becomes the nut now. To be more effective, roll your index finger back towards the headstock instead of pressing straight down.

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!

It is hard at first. I thought them impossible for myself as well. You need to build up hand strength and flexibility and thats only going to happen with PRACTICE.

Dont give up, cause once you get barre chords down you can play a ****ton of songs and you will be amazed how much better you seem to be getting just by getting over that hump.

Dont give up!
I couldn't really read your diagram, it's kinda sloppy so I can't help much with the actual shape... But I have 2 suggestions:

Buy a guitar with a smaller (thinner) neck and low action

Practice barring every day. I know that's a typical response, but it's the tried-and-true method of mastering anything. Your fingers will hurt at first, that's a given. They will get used to it after a while, trust me
Quote by Ljk825
Said it better than I did...

Try barring lower frets when you start off. Also, try playing rhythms that require muting (barring and unbarring simultaneous, like push ups). I think that helped me a lot. I'm finally starting to get barre chords. I still have trouble with the A-major shape though.