Soo currently I'm running a Peavy Nitro Bass head with a GK 4x10, This summer I should make enough money to add another 4x10 cab (there's a hartke at the local guitar store where noone buys bass stuff so I can bet on it being there for a while)

Recently I saw an offer for an Ampeg 8x10 cab with that Ampeg head that every has to go with it... I forget the model. The guy said he'd hold it for me until the end of summer for me to have time to get some money. I'm thinking he'll be asking $800-1000 (USD) for head and cab together.

So my dilema? Which one?

info on my playing:
I like the higher end sound to my bass, like that of Alex Webster of Cannibal Corpse and Steve Harris of Iron Maiden
I'm in a Thrashcore band
Anything else that would help?

I know it comes down to what I like better after I try it. But I would like some input on what they think.

Any suggestions, tips, whatever, will be greatly appriciated.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
i dont know but to me the ampeg sounds good but does that have the head any evreything or is it just the cabinet. but 800 -1000 sounds a bit to cheap though. i was in a music store and a ampeg head i cant remember which one was going for 969euro new.
but if you like the peavey i would keep with that it would look better
Yeah I'm not sure what condition the cab and head are in... but yeah it'd be for the cab and head.
I guess on that note I should say that the Hartke is in very good condition (practicaly new) and thats running for $400 (USD)
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
What GK cab is it? If its a lower end model i would go with the Ampeg. On the other hand, the Ampeg isn't very hifi sounding.
It seems to me Ampeg is almost the complete opposite of the sound you want. You sound like you want a fairly modern tone, which tubes just don't seem to do. I would recommend sticking with the Peavey and adding on an 18". I know you said 410, but you know you want a 118.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
It seems to me Ampeg is almost the complete opposite of the sound you want. You sound like you want a fairly modern tone, which tubes just don't seem to do. I would recommend sticking with the Peavey and adding on an 18". I know you said 410, but you know you want a 118.

If you like the Ampeg sound, that is all that matters. Play it and see if you like it. If you do, then disregard anything anyone says about the tone. Period.

I'm not sure what amp Steve Harris uses. I wanna guess its something obscure, because otherwise his name would be plastered on that company's front page.

Look at many other amp companies. Or, think about whether you NEED that much volume. Companies like Carvin, GK, Eden (probably a combo at that price), Ashdown, Trace Elliot, the list goes on and on.

But if this guy is giving you an all tube SVT and Ampeg 8x10, buy that up. Seriously, even if you don't like it, it could easily be sold for a $500 profit.
Jazz Rock Feel: I know a guy who has these really nice bass speakers (I forget the company but they're a 200 bucks per speaker not including the box) and he'd sell me one for 200 USD but they're 12 er 15 inches I forget, I'll talk to the guy and get that info for you.

InidanRockStar: Yeah I think I need that much volume. One guitarist runs an all tube Framous stack. And the other is running a Marshall 4x12 with a triple rectifier... So yeah the more sound I can get, the better.
An yeah I was planning on trying out the ampeg at some point and probebly using that hartke cab for a show somewhere to see if that's what I like (the store owner was nice enough to make that offer for me)
Quote by Banjocal
that amp is not too bad. i would probably look for a matching 1x15" cab. unless, of course, you really want to try to match the sheer power of those guitar amps at louder volumes, then the Ampeg, is your obvious choice. good luck.
I am not a personal fan of ampeg solid state amps. but some people are of course. also it does sound like you like a more modern tone which tubes can have a tough time giving. especially in an ampeg tube amp. I highly recommend getting both amps in the same room and switching back and forth. decide that way. i've also found that with my peavey tube amp head i can turn the eq knobs further without suffering some of the problems that you get in ss heads from over eq'ing. so make sure you play around with that..."feature" too.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
If you're in a thrashcore band, I'm surprised you'd want another 4x10 instead of a 2x15 cabinet.
Go by what sounds better for you rather than the brand.
Quote by scawti
If you're in a thrashcore band, I'm surprised you'd want another 4x10 instead of a 2x15 cabinet.
Go by what sounds better for you rather than the brand.

I've never really had a real rig before... I went from a 1x18 combo amp to my current rig...
I was just looking for stuff to add (or of course, sell it and buy the ampeg). Would you recommend a 2x15? Why would that be better than a 4x10?
Quote by Banjocal
Would you recommend a 2x15? Why would that be better than a 4x10?

In combination with a 4x10, adding 2x15 could give you a fuller sound.
while having 8 10's instead of 4 will fill out your sound some just by sheer air movement if you like a nice full sound i'd definitely try out a 2x15 or a 1x18. even a 1x15 would be good. pay attention when you're playing to how your low notes sound. if you add a larger speaker you will get better definition. i play with 2 4x10s and i notice that i lack some tone when i get to low G. it's ok when it mixes with the band but alone i notice it.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Aren't 215's about the same size as an 810? A 410 and an amp on top of that is taller than a lot of people, unless the 215 is on its side (which looks really awkward).

The way I see it:

-A 115 or 118 or 215 would add more low end to your sound, making it fuller
-A 212 or 412 would add more midrange, making it less fuller than the 115 would but making it punchier, which may be more in line with the kind of sound you want. The midrange is what is most heard by the human ears.
you do know that you can set cabinets next to each other. and then you can angle them a little bit and push your sound into more than one spot on the back wall. it's a great way to get more sound inthe mix with less power. and this way if you stand in front of your amp you can hear other people too. of course that's not to say that a nice 2/4x12 wouldn't be nice. and he does seem to want more of a modern sound that a deep bassy sound.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Quote by Scourge441
Aren't 215's about the same size as an 810? A 410 and an amp on top of that is taller than a lot of people, unless the 215 is on its side (which looks really awkward).

Actually, they're a little smaller or about the same size as a 6x10. And also, I was thinking about my dream rig, which would be a 2x15 on it's side, under a 4x12 if the 2x15 was larger. I'd really like to get them custom made to be the same dimensions, so they could be side by side and angled out like the one guy said. But that will be far in the future when I'm rich. Haha.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Quote by Revelation
you do know that you can set cabinets next to each other. and then you can angle them a little bit and push your sound into more than one spot on the back wall. it's a great way to get more sound inthe mix with less power. and this way if you stand in front of your amp you can hear other people too. of course that's not to say that a nice 2/4x12 wouldn't be nice. and he does seem to want more of a modern sound that a deep bassy sound.

Yeah, the guitarist of my band has a fender rig (for bass) that has a really weird cab.
It's the (EDIT EDIT EDIT)size of a 6x10 er sumpin...(END EDIT EDIT EDIT) but it's really a 4x12, and then speakers are angled inside to slighty face inward... and yeah, that things punches

And yeah I guess we kinda went away from the ampeg system, saying it wasn't for me... so now i guess the debate it 4x10 or 2x15 or 1x15?
Quote by Banjocal
Last edited by King Of Suede at Apr 17, 2008,
Quote by King Of Suede
Yeah, the guitarist of my band has a fender rig (for bass) that has a really weird cab.
It's the sieze of an 8x10... but it's really a 4x12, and then speakers are angled inside to slighty face inward... and yeah, that things punches

And yeah I guess we kinda went away from the ampeg system, saying it wasn't for me... so now i guess the debate it 4x10 or 2x15 or 1x15?

Depending on your tastes and the sizes of your gigs, 2x15 or 1x15. Like I said, I'd like a 2x15, but I like a lot of bottom and am starting to do bigger shows.

Also, got any more info on your guitarist's bass rig? That sounds very interesting.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Last edited by t3hrav3n at Apr 17, 2008,
Quote by t3hrav3n
Also, got any more info on your guitarist's bass rig? That sounds very interesting.

It's a 1973 Bassman 100 running a 1973 Bassman 100 (4x12) .

Thats what the cab looks like without the cover
Kinda cool, eh?
Quote by Banjocal