i know there is a valve jr mod thread but i had a quick couple of questions about the valve standard 15 watt. i just picked one up on a whim and it was a good deal and its sounds really good. the only thing i dislike is the bassiness of it. the settings i have are pretty much trebel at 9 mid at about 4 and bass at .5 or 0. is there any mods out there to reduce the bassiness of it? so the bass nob is more useable or could it just be the stock speaker. i havent tried a different one yet cuz i havent had the time. has anyone else out there got and modded one of these little bad boys?
Making your own thread on this was much better. The Valve Standard is completely different from the Valve Junior. I doubt there are as many mods documented on this amp as on the VJ, but changing the range of a tone control should be fairly easy. I'll try to find a schematic and cook something up for you. If you have a link to a schematic, please post it.

Cheers,
SYK
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
^ Oh, silly me. I should have thought of that.
TS should just buy an EQ pedal for $80 ~ $150 instead of spending $10 ~ $15 for a few parts.
I managed to find a schematic, but there's obviously no need for me to bother writing up instructions. Glad you had it handled.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
i'm a less is more kind of guy. the less i have in front of my amp the better. it would be prefered to get the great tone from guitar and amp thru mods than pedals. plus i'm handy at that stuff so i'm not worried
Hi Migs,

I ran a simulation on the tonestack in your VS. It's the Blue trace in the graph.
I also ran a sim using values similar to a Fender tonestack. That's the Green trace.
These traces represent the frequency response with all the controls set at 5.
If you like what you see, I'll type out the list of changes you'll need to make.
It will require 1 resistor, 3 capacitors, and one pot being changed.

I also have a pdf file of the schematic for the VS. I think it was drawn by somebody other than Gibson, so I can't swear to the accuracy. If you want, PM me your e-mail address and I'll send it to you.

Cheers,
SYK
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Hey SYK,

what program did you use to simulate that tonestack? That looks pretty interesting.
I know there's tonestack calculator, but that one has fixed circuits (you can only change the values).
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
I used the calculator from Duncan Amps. The tonestack in a VS is configured just like a Marshall. The layout is almost identical to Fender, except they connect the Mid pot differently.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Ah, I see. That's the one I've got too. I did think that grid looked familiar, silly me.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
^ Oh, silly me. I should have thought of that.
TS should just buy an EQ pedal for $80 ~ $150 instead of spending $10 ~ $15 for a few parts.
I managed to find a schematic, but there's obviously no need for me to bother writing up instructions. Glad you had it handled.

Hahah ya...

IN another thread similar to this everyone was saying GET NEW SPEAKERS....BUY AN EQ PEDAL......geez
^thats cuz everyone assumes you can just cover those things up with something else. although i'm sure an eq pedal or new speakers would help it doesnt change the fact that there might be a flaw in the design. thats why i like to get inside and figure things out. i've been reading a lot about tube amps and schematics so i'm getting better in the learning process. one book that is really helpful is ' the guitar amp handbook" by dave hunter. if anyone has a chance to check that it its been very useful. pretty soon i'm gonna start building my own amp to try and be as cool as Kurtlives and Gabel and Mr hanky and have a thread on my build ha ha.
Quote by kurtlives91
Hahah ya...

IN another thread similar to this everyone was saying GET NEW SPEAKERS....BUY AN EQ PEDAL......geez

People are afraid of modding, and losing warranty. The first thing I usually do when I buy something is open it; and void the warranty.

Apparently I'm cool. Whoohoo.
Quote by mr_hankey
People are afraid of modding, and losing warranty. The first thing I usually do when I buy something is open it; and void the warranty.

Apparently I'm cool. Whoohoo.

Ya same....when I buy a commerically manufactured pedal (which I rarley do) that is the first thing I do.
Quote by migs_migeezie
^thats cuz everyone assumes you can just cover those things up with something else. although i'm sure an eq pedal or new speakers would help it doesnt change the fact that there might be a flaw in the design. thats why i like to get inside and figure things out..
I don't think I'd really call it a flaw as much as seasoned to a different taste. And lets face facts. In GG&A there are a ton of people who just want to find good ways of using their equipment without ever opening it up. There really isn't anything wrong with that. We're just different on this side of the fence. Why by more stuff when you can tweak what you have?

Quote by migs_migeezie
pretty soon i'm gonna start building my own amp to try and be as cool as Kurtlives and Gabel and Mr hanky and have a thread on my build ha ha.

Please try to set your cool standards a little higher.

(j/k guys. I've enjoyed the amp build threads immensely. Ultimate Cool. )
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
^ dont worry SYK you are cool too. You actually pulled thru and hooked me up with some worthwhile information.