Can someone explain to me about speakers and their wattage? Would a 200w speaker sound a lot louder than a 30w speaker? Do lower wattage speakers break up earlier with tube amps? What does the wattage actually tell you about the speaker?
^ agreed. sensitivity (rated in decibels) tells you how loud a speaker is. EDIT: lower wattage speakers break up earlier, yeah.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Wattage does indeed not tell you anything on how loud the speaker will be, rather how much power it can handle from an amplifier. A 20w speaker can be louder (in dB) than a 100w speaker.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Can my Peavey XXX which is 40w be able to power a 30w speaker?
As long as you don't put the volume too high it should work.
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
What happens if I do put it too high? The speaker I am talking about is Celestion G12H30 or V30.
Last edited by neon10th at Apr 14, 2008,
Quote by neon10th
What happens if I do put it too high?

You will blow your speaker and possibly damage your head if the load is gone.
A V30 is 60W last time I checked
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Quote by neon10th
Can my Peavey XXX which is 40w be able to power a 30w speaker?

It can, but it also has the potential to blow the speaker. I personally wouldn't risk it - go for a 60watt.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by neon10th
What happens if I do put it too high? The speaker I am talking about is Celestion G12H30.

A V30 will be fine because they're actually 60 watts. The G12H is risky, so you might want to look at the Classic Lead 80 instead. In fact the Classic Lead would suit the XX better, in all likeliness.

EDIT: Also check out the ultimate speaker thread, courtesy of our fine fellow MrCarrot.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
So I guess a rule of thumb is to always get a higher speaker wattage than your amp wattage. Also, would the upgrade from the stock Sheffield 200w speaker to something like a V30 (60w) or Classic Lead 80 (80w) be worth it?

Would the difference in wattage matter that much?

One more question, I do not know how much ohms to use. The Sheffield used 16 ohms, but is it still possible to use 8 ohms with the Classic Lead 80?
Last edited by neon10th at Apr 14, 2008,
^ i'd stick to the same ohms as the stock speaker. i'd have thought either the vintage 30 or classic lead 80 would be ok, in terms of wattage.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?