I'm in the market for a much hotter and much fatter single coil pickup. I've heard of hot rails and such but I kind of want an Evolution kind of sound because I found out I don't really like the EMG 81 and 85 on my Les Paul and the neck on that is getting boring to me. I also own a Legacy amp so I love the cleans but the EMGs just don't sound good with it to me.
"Don't panic, everything is falling neatly out of order"
- Douglas Adams
Last edited by Otnip at Apr 14, 2008,
Just check out what Dimarzio has to offer. Or, get an evolution and wire it to tap.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Quote by gwitersnamps
Just check out what Dimarzio has to offer. Or, get an evolution and wire it to tap.

Wire it to tap? Stack it you mean?
- Douglas Adams
Quote by Otnip
Wire it to tap? Stack it you mean?

Nope. Dimarzios can be set up to tap, meaning you shut off one of the coils in a humbucker, usually if you pull up on a tone knob or something. That way you can get both a single coil sound and a humbucker sound out of one pickup.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
dont they make single coil evos

and doesnt ynwie use em
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
Steve vai people.

I'm sure you could pick up (buh dum bum chish) an evo single coil on ebay or something.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by NGMF-Sam
dont they make single coil evos

and doesnt ynwie use em

Yes, they do, they're in the JEM7V, realy nice sounding pickups, but I don't think they're available to just buy.

Malmsteen uses an HS-3, HS-2 and YJM.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Oh I always thought that single coil was low output and for clean sounds. I also possibly wanted a hum reduced pickup, and I heard in reviews that it's pretty noisy. I'm kind of picky when it comes to this stuff...

Anyone know where I can hear the blue lace pickups?
- Douglas Adams
I have both a Tone Zone S, HS-2 and YJM in my strat. They're not really like an evo I guess, but they're really great pickups and I actually like them more than any humbuckers I've played, which are a lot, and I mostly play metal

I'd really encourage you to check them out. What exactly is is you're looking for in the pickup when you say "evolution sound"?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I have both a Tone Zone S, HS-2 and YJM in my strat. They're not really like an evo I guess, but they're really great pickups and I actually like them more than any humbuckers I've played, which are a lot, and I mostly play metal

I'd really encourage you to check them out. What exactly is is you're looking for in the pickup when you say "evolution sound"?

Well, smooth, high output, great harmonic dynamics, responsive to playing, and great tone flexibility when rolling back the volume.
- Douglas Adams
Excuse the impolite bump, but I'm assuming it's better than making a new topic on the same thing. If not, somebody tell me...
- Douglas Adams