At solo's...any one got any good pratice tips and advice for me..i really wanna play some sweet shreds..but when i do..it's like a 3 year old trying to play guitar....so thanks in advance and Get outta here also in advance..lol
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
I beat my wife

Beating yea bi
How long have you been playing. And the only tip is practise. Do warm up excercises etc.
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
Start with an easy 1liek crazy train. Practice scales. do the 1-2-3-4 run repeatedly. Itll all come in time .
Gear:
Schecter c1+
Peavey Raptor exp

Vox ad30vt
practice alternate picking with scales. and memorize the scales. that made my picking speed so much faster, and i could solo, and write sweeter solos and riffs
Quote by Fusanti_RHCP
I have had no problems. Mostly because I am Jesus.
Start off with solos within scales. Find a scale that matches the song and just randomly pick in rhythm with the song until you just find a groove and know what you're doing.

I like to just play music off my ipod and just solo to it as the song plays.
Um play with metronome? Why does people not use teh m3t30nom3!1!!
No man is your friend, no man is your enemy, but every man is your teacher.

When he asked for John Myung, John Myung said:"Who the hell is John Myung?"

Proud User of Ibanez, Korg, Rocktron, ENGL
Quote by O-52-A-50-R
Start off with solos within scales. Find a scale that matches the song and just randomly pick in rhythm with the song until you just find a groove and know what you're doing.

I like to just play music off my ipod and just solo to it as the song plays.

+1
Always good to learn how to improvise since it'll come in much more handy than just memorising another persons solo.
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
Quote by SQHero
Um play with metronome? Why does people not use teh m3t30nom3!1!!

amen
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
just of the point a little, but how important is alternative picking?

cos i can play quick enough just using down strokes, so if i can just use down strokes for a solo, should i? or is it worth alternate picking it anyway?
scales maybe if u are real good sum sweep picking(although thats more for metal or hard rock)
-BiOhAZarD722-
Originally Posted by Gizzard101
I personally prefer Dr.Dre but Lil Jon is gangsta home boy fresh aswell.
...lol wtf?
Quote by lzrdsixsix6
sounds like you have a severe case of the dumbass.....it's quite common in the pit really just sleep it off
Quote by adr11iano
just of the point a little, but how important is alternative picking?

cos i can play quick enough just using down strokes, so if i can just use down strokes for a solo, should i? or is it worth alternate picking it anyway?

Try playing Technical Difficulties by Racer X with downstroke only.
No man is your friend, no man is your enemy, but every man is your teacher.

When he asked for John Myung, John Myung said:"Who the hell is John Myung?"

Proud User of Ibanez, Korg, Rocktron, ENGL
To solo you have to know your scales, and most importantly, what every note in the scale sounds like before you actually hit the note.

2004 MIM Strat w/ Fender Hot Noiseless pickups
Sovtek MiG 60
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion Greenbacks
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
TC electronic Arena Reverb
I can't memorise solos, for ****. The only solo I know all the way through is Master of Puppets...I only remember it because loads of bands ask me to play it. Learning other people's stuff, solowise, bores me. I'd much prefer to improvise. Which is why learning scales is important, I guess. I make do though, just fine. I sort of...learnt loads of scales, and then forgot them. Which left me, ironically, much more open and imaginative with what I play.
Quote by BiOhAZarD722
scales maybe if u are real good sum sweep picking(although thats more for metal or hard rock)

Nah...Sweep picking is a used technique outside of those genres. E.g...Classical, shred (no, shred doesn't have to be metal), and others. It's a very useful technique. And one that requires a lot of practice to get right, but is very much worth it. But before you start working on sweeps, you might prefer to focus on learning scales, etc, first. Also, alternate and tremolo picking.
Re: alternate picking

There is more to picking than the ability to play quickly. Picking up or down, or choosing to use legato, also provides emphasis to different notes (downstrokes tend to be more pronounced). I think alt picking is a great foundation for all other kinds of picking, so it is worth practicing. But when playing a tune, you may vary from strict alt picking in order to make the song sound right.

Re: shred practice
Practice with a metronome. Start slowly and gradually build up speed. It seems painful at first, but it is so worth it. The metronome is great for teaching your fingers when to move, and cultivating your inner timing.

If a metronome seems boring, a close substitute is software like "Transcribe!", which allows you to slow down songs without changing the pitch of the notes. That way you can slow down your shreddy solos to the point where you can figure out the notes & play along.
thanks guys..oh and i do play stuff like fear factory so I think i got alt picking down so thanks and any other tips would be nice but thanks
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
I beat my wife

Beating yea bi