Hi there!

In the (near) future (if I have the money) I will probably buy a new amp (I've got a Hughes and Kettner Edition 60 right now), but here in Hungary amps are very expensive.
But I heard, that there's a shop in my city, which builds amps (if I'm correct, any amp, provided I can give them the circuit schematics of the chosen amp), so I think that would be a cheaper way to get a nice tube amp.

So, my question would be: which amp to build?

Some criteria:
- it should be about 30 W (I play gigs, and I think it will be enough - BTW, how loud
can I go clean on a 30 W tube amplifier? Is it enough to play over a drummer?)
- it should have two channels
- it should have EQ (preferably for both channels)
- nice clean and distorted sound
- reverb would be nice
- of course all tube
- and it should be a combo (because of portability)

I play mainly rock and blues (SRV, Hendrix, G'N'R, AC/DC, Oasis, etc.), but also some metal (like Metallica).

My candidate would be the Orange AD30 Twin Channel, but what would you guys suggest?

By the way, I've got a Fender American Stratocaster and a cheap Epi Les Paul.
I say build a Dumble.

You won't do metal with it, but they're sweet!
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I don't know about having an amp built from schematics, a lot of an amps sound has to do with the quality of parts. Two capacitors may have the same rating, but there are quality audio grade capacitors and then there are the run-of-the-mill capacitors not designed for an audio signal.
I would suggest that you buy a used amp of your choice off ebay and try to get it shipped to Hungary.
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
Wow nice idea - great if it actually turns out to be cheaper!
Yes, 30 watts should have enough clean headrom for gigs, it will certainly drown out a drummer if you were to crank it up.
My first impressions would be an Orange of some sort. Maybe a Rocker 30?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
A 30 watt tube amp cannot drown a drummer out. But you will sure as hell have a nice clean volume and still be able to easily play with a drummer.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Quote by FrenchBread
I don't know about having an amp built from schematics, a lot of an amps sound has to do with the quality of parts. Two capacitors may have the same rating, but there are quality audio grade capacitors and then there are the run-of-the-mill capacitors not designed for an audio signal.
I would suggest that you buy a used amp of your choice off ebay and try to get it shipped to Hungary.

Yeah I know that quality parts are needed, but I guess the shop uses some great quality capacitors, transistors and so on.
My bassist bought his half stack from them, it's a Fender tube amp head with a 4x12 cabinet, and it sure looks nice and sounds great.
It cost him 250.000 HUF (that's about 1400 $. For example a Marshall DSL401 costs that much here in Hungary). So a 1x12 combo would be even cheaper.

And I really don't want to buy from Ebay.
Quote by Yngwi3
Wow nice idea - great if it actually turns out to be cheaper!
Yes, 30 watts should have enough clean headrom for gigs, it will certainly drown out a drummer if you were to crank it up.
My first impressions would be an Orange of some sort. Maybe a Rocker 30?

Yeah I thought of it too, but I think an AD30 would be a better choice for me, since both of its channels have EQ. And as far as I know, it's more vintage sounding (not as much gain) as the Rocker 30.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Ever play a Vox AC30?

Yes I have.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
I've cranked a (cranked) Marshall Bluesbreaker with a drummer, it doesn't drown him out unless he wants to be drowned out, and that amp is between 40 and 50 watts.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Quote by Hultan
I've cranked a (cranked) Marshall Bluesbreaker with a drummer, it doesn't drown him out unless he wants to be drowned out, and that amp is between 40 and 50 watts.

It seems to me that bluesbreakers are 30 watts.
Its circuits are based on the Fender Bass-man, which is between 40 and 50.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Build a Line6 Spider that only has 1 preset which is 'MG'.

They'd sell like cakes to the guitar newbies.
Quote by Hultan

You underestimate the speakers in the Vox.

They make that damn amp LOUD. Louder than a 30 watter should be.

My father's friend has an old '70's AC30 and we jam. When he pins that thing, he can easily drown me out on the drums and I POUND them.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Sorry, but I don't believe you. Simple as that.
I don't really wanna put an effort in arguing because it seems pointless because you cannot convince me and I cannot convince you but I've cranked my amp to 10 and I could still hear the drummer. Besides, the drummer (who is a guitarist) said that my amp was damn loud.
AND, even if the AC30 is loud for being 30 watts, it won't be louder than 50.
The drums depends also, or maybe you've to start working out or something... I dunno ;p

EDIT: Here's a link to the guitarist's (who played the drums) band: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=30353903
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Last edited by Hultan at Apr 14, 2008,