So I've decided this is the guitar I want and I'm going to order it in the next couple of days.

Only thing is I've noticed there's a couple of different types.

Anyone know the best type to get and what makes it so good?

I'm looking for a heavy metal rhythm guitar for playing stuff like Metallica btw if that helps.

Here are two of the options I have, but if you know any others please post them!

GIBSON EXPLORER76 EB €966
http://www.thomann.de/ie/gibson_explorer_76.htm

GIBSON EXPLORER76 CW €1333
http://www.thomann.de/ie/gibson_explorer76_cw.htm

Also, does anyone know what the 76 EB/ 76 CW stands for?

Thanks a lot

EB= Ebony black
CW= Classic White

duh!
Im not a pro, but i did stay at a holiday inn express last night
EB = Ebony
CW = Classic white

76 is probably the model
:
BC Rich Bronze Warlock
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Fender CD-SCE140 Acoustic Electric
1962 Guild MKIII Classical
Quote by suzukisally
EB= Ebony black
CW= Classic White

duh!

cheers!

Not an expert but if you're looking for a metallica I do believe its an Ibanez or ESP you should be after as opposed to the gibson.
BROCCOLIS
I ated them all.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
Not an expert but if you're looking for a metallica I do believe its an Ibanez or ESP you should be after as opposed to the gibson.

Already have an Ibanez. I know this is the guitar I want, I just want to make sure I get the right model.

Quote by I-Shot-Jr

James has used Gibbies in the past, not sure if they had stock pickups or not though.
Get the classic white. The black fretboard looks great on that body.
D:
Signature.
Quote by Atomic48

Any idea what makes it almost €400 better? Is it just a different type of wood used or what?

Quote by Atomic48

I'm considering one myself, they look beeeeeautiful. I need to try one first though, to make sure I like the sound and feel. I wonder if it would look better if you took the pickguard off too?
Quote by Witch-king
Any idea what makes it almost €400 better? Is it just a different type of wood used or what?

it's an ebony fretboard. Ebony is a bit more expensive than rosewood (other than Brazilian rosewood of course)
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
the white one looks sexy!
My name is Charlie.

Gear
Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet
Fender Deville 410
Electro-Harmonix USA Big Muff
Digitech Whammy IV
MXR Micro Amp
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by oneblackened
it's an ebony fretboard. Ebony is a bit more expensive than rosewood (other than Brazilian rosewood of course)

cheers. does ebony feel much better than rosewood? I dont think Ive ever played a guitar with an ebony fretboard.

Quote by Witch-king
cheers. does ebony feel much better than rosewood? I dont think Ive ever played a guitar with an ebony fretboard.

I dunno, never played one either
it'll be brighter sounding, since ebony is a very hard, and therefore very bright sounding, wood.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Witch-king

depends what you like. i think jacksons/esp come with ebony fretboards. lots of strats come with them too.
I cannot belive it costs 400 for a ebony fret board, that is insane. It musta cost some 10-20 ish more to build in reality.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Ebony boards feel very nice. They're alot smoother than rosewood. James was using Gibson for a while before he used ESP. He used a white V and a white Explorer for quite some time. I think he used Duncans in both.

Good luck on the buy!
Gibson.
Quote by ThrashIsGreat
Ebony boards feel very nice. They're alot smoother than rosewood. James was using Gibson for a while before he used ESP. He used a white V and a white Explorer for quite some time. I think he used Duncans in both.

Good luck on the buy!

nice one man, ill bare this in mind. still seems awfully more expensive just for that kind of wood though, does it not?

you'll want the ESP for metallica trust me

I have the classic white explorer
Didnt there Used to be an '84 Reissue on Musicians Friend? That would probobly be a good choice.

Well id say go for the White one with Ebony Fretboard. i think its better to spend a Little extra for some "harder to Replace" features like paintjobs and Fretboards, but if you dont like it then just go for the other one.
I can't believe everyone thinks the white one looks better. Not I dont know what to think!

i have an ebony one
and i think ebony looks the best
either that or the cherry one
Quote by :-D
I once saw somebody carry a Guitar Hero controller in a case to protect it. He probably should have packed his testicles in there too, seeing as he won't need to use those for quite a while.

Explorer Club member #4
PM JEST87 to join