Page 1 of 2
Hey,
I finally put some time aside and went to my local store to try out some amps.
Just to bring you up to speed, i'm in the market for a nice 2000 USD amp.

Anyways, i'll post my findings with each amp. I will leave out amps which didn't really stand out:

Fender 1966 Super Reverb 4x10:
When I first plugged in, I was expecting heavenly cleans. Well, they were great, but they weren't heavenly. I dunno about this. It just didn't sound deep enough. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's just that I like a fair amount of low end. But, since this one made the top 5, I am going back soon to try it out more extensively. I didn't have a chance to crank it either, but it seemed that I got a little bit of breakup at pretty low volume. This amp was great, just not OMG MUST GET great.
The reverb and trem were great too.
I am going back to try this in a week.

Fender 1964 Vibroverb Custom RI 115:
I've heard clips and opinions, and I was expecting a great amp. That it was!
The cleans weren't as clean as the super's, but it had this boner-inducing overdrive with the mod switch on. It had tons of low end. But, it seems like it wasn't very versatile on the time I spent on it.
Basically, it's instant SRV, but that's about it. This was the heaviest toned amp I tried today.
I'll test it further next time I go.

Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse 4x10:
This amp I kind of felt sorry for this amp in a sense. It's been at the shop for years, and it's stayed down in a secluded part of the basement amp room where no one ventured. And it had a price reduced sticker on it. I was brought in by it's purple tolex and just general cool look. I plugged in, and I started playing, and I was heavily impressed.
A nice feature was the High/Low switch on the front (not sure what it does), but it essentially switches between from a warmer, quieter clean, to a louder, brighter clean. It's like switching from a BF Super Reverb to an AC30. Very versatile. The harmonic boost was nice too. It added alot of complexity to the tone and helped me get a bit of overdrive at low volumes (it's a single channel amp). This is THE most touch sensitive amp i've ever played. Seriously, I had the volume up all the way, both on amp and guitar, picked a note hard and shook the building (I was in a sound room so it was all good, and I could pick lighter and bring it down to a virtual whisper (seriously). This amp is now the frontrunner. Plus, you can switch between american and british tubes (like 6l6's and el34's) or have a mix.
Since I liked this amp so much, I looked in the back to see what was the secret to it being such a cool amp. Perhaps it was a great brand of tube. But it had cheap sovteks in it!
So, not only was this amp the best I tried, but it was still awesome even with cheaper tubes. Oh, the overdrive.. The overdrive is VERY transparent and dynamic. AWESOME!
The trem and reverb were orgasmic too.
If you've ever listened to Robert Cray, this amp nails his tone.

Budda Superdrive 30:
Although I was looking at American voiced amps, this amp has great tone.
It killed the Orange Rocker 30 at the same store. It had a more musical sound to it. The orange rocked too, but the budda just rocked harder. This one isn't a frontrunner, but i'm going back to try it again to see if i'll want it in the future.

Fender 57 Twin-Amp tweed reissue:
I didn't know one of my local stores had this, but they have it on sale. It's like 1500 USD now. It has a warmer tone, similar to the blues box, but I didn't play it much. The price and new condition puts it in the ones I liked more. Any info on this would be nice.

Thoughts? Recommendations?
I also have stories about some people who were trying out amps too.
And, I found out that alot of the more expensive amps there were quite bad.

Also, I tested out the peavey windsor studio. It's actually great for the price.

I think I tried out every common model of amp lol.

Post!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I'm interested in what you think about the Windsor Studio? What do you think!?

I say go with the Blues Box. You seem to like it quite a bit.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
just letting you know if you get the chicago blues box i will rape you for it, no homo

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Seems like some narrow minded amps there.
Why not at least try a Mesa Boogie or Peavey Roadking or a Laney? Not american i know but i don't see why you want an American amp so much?
Quite.
Quote by mister_crowley
Why not at least try a Mesa Boogie or Peavey Roadking or a Laney? Not american i know but i don't see why you want an American amp so much?

Never heard of a Peavey Roadking.

Maybe because he knows what he likes and wants?

I guess we all can't be as open minded as you huh!?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by mister_crowley

Please GTFO. It's for your own good...
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I'm interested in what you think about the Windsor Studio? What do you think!?

I say go with the Blues Box. You seem to like it quite a bit.

Yeah, the Blues Box, Vibroverb, and Super Reverb are the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place amps at the moment.
I'm going back again soon to narrow it down to two. And i'll go again to buy the one I like most.

The windsor studio had some fair crunch. I didn't try out the power sponge or anything though. It was similar to my peavey classic, maybe with lower gain. I dunno, it's not spectacular, but it does the job for a 400 dollar amp.
I tried out an MG again just to reassure myself why everyone hates these. If you hate MG's, you have a darn good reason, they truly suck!
And, I was thoroughly disappointed with the Fender princeton recording amp. The attenuator sucked SOOO much tone, and it was just bad. The cleans were good though.

Anyways, I tried out the little 5 watt gretsch today. Real nice amp. It could do with a new speaker though since it starts to fart out at higher volumes. Nice vintage tone though!

I am serious when I said I probably played every common amp today.

Also, just for kicks, I saw this 100 dollar 1967 Kalamazoo 5w solidstate piggyback combo (it was like a head and cab, but the head was permanently connected to the cab), and plugged in and cranked it. Wow! It had a nice blusey tone. I was expecting complete crap, but it had a quite impressive tone for such a little amp. It had the most headroom i've seen in a little solidstate of that size.

Feel free to ask me about other amps I tried!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
Yeah, the Blues Box, Vibroverb, and Super Reverb are the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place amps at the moment.
I'm going back again soon to narrow it down to two. And i'll go again to buy the one I like most.

The windsor studio had some fair crunch. I didn't try out the power sponge or anything though. It was similar to my peavey classic, maybe with lower gain. I dunno, it's not spectacular, but it does the job for a 400 dollar amp.
I tried out an MG again just to reassure myself why everyone hates these. If you hate MG's, you have a darn good reason, they truly suck!
And, I was thoroughly disappointed with the Fender princeton recording amp. The attenuator sucked SOOO much tone, and it was just bad. The cleans were good though.

Anyways, I tried out the little 5 watt gretsch today. Real nice amp. It could do with a new speaker though since it starts to fart out at higher volumes. Nice vintage tone though!

I am serious when I said I probably played every common amp today.

Also, just for kicks, I saw this 100 dollar 1967 Kalamazoo 5w solidstate piggyback combo (it was like a head and cab, but the head was permanently connected to the cab), and plugged in and cranked it. Wow! It had a nice blusey tone. I was expecting complete crap, but it had a quite impressive tone for such a little amp. It had the most headroom i've seen in a little solidstate of that size.

Feel free to ask me about other amps I tried!

I betcha the Gretsch is just a rebranded Champ.

I was thinking about picking up the Studio to have something to play around with since my amp is too loud.

Since it's mediocre though, I guess I'll have to wait for the Tiny Terror combo.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I betcha the Gretsch is just a rebranded Champ.

I was thinking about picking up the Studio to have something to play around with since my amp is too loud.

Since it's mediocre though, I guess I'll have to wait for the Tiny Terror combo.

That's what it sounded like. Gretsch=Sexier than the fender though.
Yeah, i'd just wait for the TT combo.

I had the amp room all to myself for like an hour just groovin.
I was surprised, I liked my peavey classic alot better than some of the amps there.
I think i'll end up getting the blues box, but i'm gonna make darn sure I want it.
I bet it gets even better after I slap in some JJ's and Tungsols.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I am trying to land a deal on an older model Vibroverb so it was nice to hear your opinion of the amp. (Albiet the 210 version I am looking at is likely a lot different sounding). I still think you should buy the Blues Box though, it sounds like you two were meant for each other and I know you were looking for something vintage and on the border of boutique. That's more than on the border, IMO. Good luck.
^yeah.
Sadly the Blues Box isn't 100% boutique. But it is handwired and quite high end.
Yeah, i felt like it was made for me. It had SOOO much sustain also.

And to the guy way up above... I did try out mesas.
There was a mesa maverick there, and I really didn't like it.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Hey Dark, I got a suggestion. Go back tomorrow and buy the bluesbox. I have played one for a short time, and it is heavenly! Just do it man!
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Sounds like a great trip. No matter what you do, you're gonna end a good amp. I would kill to try a blues box....
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by FLCLcowdude
Hey Dark, I got a suggestion. Go back tomorrow and buy the bluesbox. I have played one for a short time, and it is heavenly! Just do it man!

Yeah. I will make sure to do something. I don't have the dough ATM... but I need to get the money around. It won't take long, maybe like a week.

The full story is... I got 2 grand in a coupon bond that I got from being on this national TV show for this special week, and I can't cash it until i'm graduated. So... I made a deal with a semi-wealthy family friend to loan me the 2 grand until I graduate and I can cash the coupon bond, then I pay him back straight up.

But, the Blues Box is an incredible amp. Seriously.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Last edited by darkarbiter7 at Apr 14, 2008,
Jesus, how are you gonna get that much money in a week? Are you a drug dealer or something?
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Yes. And he provides a quality product at a good price... I mean, no, he plays blackjack.

I just said in an earlier post.
No, I don't deal drugs.
My family just has cool friends.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by mister_crowley
Not american i know but i don't see why you want an American amp so much?

ummm...you are aware that USD is a form of currency, and not an amp origin right? i dont know where you got that statement from, but im gonna take a long shot and say you misread TS's "2000 USD" statement
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Oh and for the record, I tried a Mesa Maverick and hated it.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
I just said in an earlier post.
No, I don't deal drugs.
My family just has cool friends.

I wish my family had cool friends!
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993
And I will probably be able to talk down the price.
And with the money I save, I can get new tubes!!!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Horray for new t00bz! And, I just got my Sweetwater catalog in the mail! So now I have something to read during school. Horray!
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993
^Nice.
Alright. So the Blues Box is almost a sure thing.
Maybe during the summer, I should save up and get a full set of tone tubby speakers for it. Hmm... yummy.
I'll talk with my family friend to see when he could get the cash to me. We've discussed before, and he should be able to get it to me within the week. Maybe at the beginning of summer at the very very latest.

Here she is:
http://elderly.com/vintage/items/130U-7895.htm

I just hope nobody buys it.
Well, first of all, any amp over a grand at my local store takes months to sell, and this one has been in the store for years and it has been reduced to sitting in the corner of an isolated storage closet. If it's meant for me, it'll stay there until I take it home.
Maybe I should sell my peavey classic 50 to get some ultra nice t00bs in it. Make it the ultimate tone machine!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Last edited by darkarbiter7 at Apr 14, 2008,
Quote by darkarbiter7
^Nice.
Alright. So the Blues Box is almost a sure thing.
Maybe during the summer, I should save up and get a full set of tone tubby speakers for it. Hmm... yummy.
I'll talk with my family friend to see when he could get the cash to me. We've discussed before, and he should be able to get it to me within the week. Maybe at the beginning of summer at the very very latest.

Hemp cone tone tubbys are skeet worthy. I would totally put some money down on that blues box like right now. It always seems that your luck would be that someone snatches it like right after you get the money. It happens to the best of us.
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993
^K, i'll work on it.
How much did you even play the blues box? Can you elaborate a bit more on how it sounded? I just want a second opinion.
And even if someone does snatch it up before I buy it, it just means that I wasn't meant for it.
For example, I kind of impulse bought my peavey classic 50, and a week later (after I couldn't return it anymore), A rivera pubster popped up for cheaper!
Oh well. But, if I can get the cash early, i'll go down and get it right when I do.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
If a BlackFace Super Reverb doesn't blow your mind, there's something wrong with you, or something wrong with the amp
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
^It was a fantastic amp, but the chicago blues box seems like it was built for me.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
^Lol.
Troo troo though.
Once I get it, i'll put up clipzors! And pictzors!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7

That would be the reason I don't recommend 4x10 combos... Severe wallet pain! When the time comes, look into Eminence. They have a decent selection of quality 10's at nearly half the cost of TT's.

But yeah, sounds like you found an amp. Good for you! Thing definitely looks cool.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by darkarbiter7
^K, i'll work on it.
How much did you even play the blues box? Can you elaborate a bit more on how it sounded? I just want a second opinion.
And even if someone does snatch it up before I buy it, it just means that I wasn't meant for it.
For example, I kind of impulse bought my peavey classic 50, and a week later (after I couldn't return it anymore), A rivera pubster popped up for cheaper!
Oh well. But, if I can get the cash early, i'll go down and get it right when I do.

I played it for like 5 mins. It had a superb sweet tone. Then some guy on an SG sat down and just made the amp cry! He was a superb player. I remember walking out of the store thinking how good of a tone that amp had, lol. But, it seems like a real great amp! I would snatch it and have no buyers remorse. That is what I did with my Road King.
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993
^Alright, that was my view of it too.
I should try it with an LP or something with humbuckers too.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7

Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse 4x10:
This amp I kind of felt sorry for this amp in a sense. It's been at the shop for years, and it's stayed down in a secluded part of the basement amp room where no one ventured. And it had a price reduced sticker on it.!

man... that brought a tear to my eye...
^ I know, it was kind of sad.
But, it was just waiting for me
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Lulz, it is meant to be.

If not, then I have no Idea...
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Hey Dark,

I was wondering about the Windsor combo. I've really heard mixed reviews. What kind of tones did you get out of it? I'm clear on all the bells and whistles, I just haven't had an opportunity to try one yet.
Member of the EHX Guild

Yamaha SG500B
Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Roland Cube 30
Jake will suffice.

Join the revolution, GG&A.
well dark sounds like you got yourself a superb amp. Go for it
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by carniferous
Hey Dark,

I was wondering about the Windsor combo. I've really heard mixed reviews. What kind of tones did you get out of it? I'm clear on all the bells and whistles, I just haven't had an opportunity to try one yet.

I only tried it out for a few minutes. There was an idiot punk pop person playing a tele into an XXX at full gain and with scooped mids, so I didn't really hang around too long.
But, for the time I spent with it, it was good.
Well, as for tones, I could get pretty clear cleans, some crunch, etc.
I really only spent 3 minutes on it.
For 400 bucks, I say it's worth a try for yourself.
I could see it being a major love/hate kind of amp. It's the kind of amp which you really have to try. But, I could see a vast improvement if it had a speaker switch and maybe a tube swap.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by hamish5178
If a BlackFace Super Reverb doesn't blow your mind, there's something wrong with you, or something wrong with the amp

+1

I assume it hasn't been serviced in a while, in which case it can potentially sound terrible. In good shape, it's instant SRV as well.

Quote by darkarbiter7

Is it a tweed Bassman clone? That would explain why it sounds like Robert Cray.
Page 1 of 2