time in a studio. you could probably get in for $20/hr and get an okay sound. depends on how much you're recording though.
My main rig:
Schecter C-1 Classic
B.C. Rich Mockingbird NJ Neck-thru
LTD M-300
Peavey 5150 II
Randall RS412XL

Greatest thread ever.
if you have a mac with garageband just use a cheap, decent mixer and use the audio in on your computer, and spend money on decent mics. we bought an sm57 (those are always good, or check out the audix i5 it's supposed to be excellent as well, and the same price as the sm57) and a set of MXL mics, the 991 and 990, both condensers. XLR cables and stands are obvious but you could just borrow those... garageband i've found is extremely versatile if you use the AU plug-ins and utilize the effects and options it has.

if you don't have a mac you can just donwload adobe audition for free (the 30 day trial is free and you can just keep downloading it) which is exactly the same as the full version. that's the way we've recorded things. i have edirol ma-15d's for monitors and the work extremely well and they were only 180 bucks. hope that helped!

EDIT: ^ or that
GEAR:

Jackson Dinky DX-10D Amber Sunburst (W/ EMG-81, EMG-85)
EHX Metal Muff
Line 6 PODxt Live
B-52 AT-212
Martin D12X1
^ I wouldn't really go with this idea. For starters, you'd be recording into a stock soundcard, which would most likely result in poor quality audio. Secondly, by plugging into one input on a standard soundcard, you'd probably be recording everything to one track, which would all but eliminate mixing and editing possibilities.

Other options are -

A) Book studio time like someone already said. You can get time in a studio for pretty cheap and achieve a decent result. However, obviously you're shelling out for a one off recording and don't have the enjoyment of recording and mixing yourself.

B) Buy a small USB or Firewire interface and record every instrument separately. This won't enable you to do a full live recording, but it will be fairly cheap.

C) Buy a portable MTR, (multi track recorder) and a selection of mics, and record it like that, without using your computer, except for editing later.

D) Use a Firewire mixer, or better, a Firewire interface to record directly to your computer, where everything will be assigned its own track in your DAW software.

Anyway, I'm basically rambling now, and there's nothing there that you couldn't have read in tweakz guide (which would have been better lol, google it). The best option in my opinion is to get a firewire interface, but with $500, you'd be stretched. The Presonus Firestudio can be bought for $500, but you'd need more money for mics etc.

You could try something along the lines of this Firewire mixer - http://www.zzounds.com/item--ALEMULTIMIX12FW, but even that doesn't really leave you with much in the way of microphone money. I'd probably just buy a 2 input USB 2.0 or firewire interface and record everything separately, on that budget.
There is poetry in despair.
I would stick with studio time, you'll have someone who knows how to get the best out of the gear meaning you get good sound. Studios will also have proper gear and the proper amount of it...something you cant get for $500.

You COULD record a live band for $500 but don't expect much in quality.

If you can get away with recording one instrument at a time and MUST get a studio setup at your place try a firewire interface and a few mics. Firewire will keep each input separate compared to USB which is what you need for recording. Also pick up a few mics, an SM57 for general use and vocals, maybe an MXL 990/991 set for a room mic and some better vocals...

MXL 990/991 and Shure SM57 along with a Mackie Onyx Satellite isn't a bad deal. It should only come out to $400 leaving $100 for cables and such...

Read though Tweaks guide, it's in my sig.
Last edited by moody07747 at Apr 15, 2008,
yeah if you have a bad soundcard there's really no use in recording into the audio in. i found it worked quite well though, on my profile there's a song called "2 A.M." which we recorded the way i described.

i also reccomend the presonus firestudio project, and maybe get it off ebay or something so you have some money left over for mics.
GEAR:

Jackson Dinky DX-10D Amber Sunburst (W/ EMG-81, EMG-85)
EHX Metal Muff
Line 6 PODxt Live
B-52 AT-212
Martin D12X1
We're leaving something out here. What do you have already?

If you need to get *everything*

-microphones
-mic cables
-preamps
-interface
-software
-monitors
-anything else

You won't come out anywhere close to $500.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
say all you needed was:

-Microphones (we have a few but would like to get some better quality ones, perhaps Condenser)

-Interface (currently we are working with a 4ch mixer from the late 60's)

-Moniters (the cheap computer speakers are sucking)

-Preamps (i guess we need them if they are not built into the interface)

I guess thats all?
Thanks
-Ryan
Quote by Jared R. Boyd
say all you needed was:

-Microphones (we have a few but would like to get some better quality ones, perhaps Condenser)

-Interface (currently we are working with a 4ch mixer from the late 60's)

-Moniters (the cheap computer speakers are sucking)

-Preamps (i guess we need them if they are not built into the interface)

I guess thats all?
Thanks
-Ryan

yep you need an interface, mics, cables, and some type of monitors (be it speakers or headphones...)

The quality of gear you choose will greatly vary your total price.
99% of the time preamps will be in your interface.
Quote by nxtvanhalen
yeah if you have a bad soundcard there's really no use in recording into the audio in. i found it worked quite well though, on my profile there's a song called "2 A.M." which we recorded the way i described.

i also reccomend the presonus firestudio project, and maybe get it off ebay or something so you have some money left over for mics.

That was actually quite good, mind you I'm listening on the cheap speakers on my macbook pro but I think you've posted a good example proving that a good singer will always sound like a good singer.