im lookin in to getting a more hair metally sound and ive heard dod american metal pedal and mp-1 pre amps mentioned a lot any body have any thoughts on them or any other suggestions on gettin that aor **** rock kinda sound ala danger danger winger firehouse ect. my current gear is a marshall jcm 900 gibson les paul and a jackson pc 3 and a tube screamer and a delay and a chorus pedal also any pick ups i should know about
You should have a pretty good hair metal sound as it is.

If you want a new guitar or something maybe a Gibson V.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
I dont really see whats wrong with your Set Up as is, but Maby try getting a Superstrat? I suggest something like a Jackson Soloist or an Ibanez RG2550/1570/2570 or any other prestige model pretty much. as well as maby a PGM301.
... I was actually serious, I think a chorus pedal is what you're missing. Everyone played with chorus on their distortion in the 80's...
Quote by Lespaulman547at
. my current gear is a marshall jcm 900 gibson les paul and a jackson pc 3 and a tube screamer and a delay and a chorus pedal also any pick ups i should know about

He already has that..^

Probably you should play around with the amps eq?
Quote by phlowtron23
He already has that..^

Probably you should play around with the amps eq?

My bad. Then I'm lost, maybe some soundclips would help?
Can I be the one that suggests "In hair metal, 90% of your tone comes from your hair"?

Hmmm.... it would appear that I just did.
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
you pretty much have a perfect hair metal set up already man. a superstrat, les paul custom, or kramer might help though. check your amp settings.
VAN HALEN - March 13 at the Izod

Quote by xchiefx
What kind of idiot mows the street
too funny... The ADA MP1 was the gear to have in the 80s. Gets you a great hair metal tone. ALthough... tons of feedback so definately get yourself a noise suppressor as well. Add some chorus and your set
98' 1960 Les Paul Classic
00' 57' Reissue Goldtop Les Paul
92' R0' Historic Les Paul

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Trem-o-verb 2x12 combo
Mesa 2x12 Rectifier Extention cabinet
Boss GT-8
Korg DTR-1 Rackmount tuner
Sennheiser WZ-300 wireless
yeah im thinkin about gettin a noise supressor or a noise gate is there a difference and what kind should i get and how does the ADA MP1 work im not rele familiar with pre amps
Last edited by Lespaulman547at at Apr 15, 2008,
Quote by guitarnoize
Or maybe a BC Rich gunslinger in fluoro green?

I was gonna say that
Watch this. Any of CC's fluro BCs there would be fine .
Adjust your EQ to have lots of high end and mids to make the gain channel crunch.
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Quote by red star
Adjust your EQ to have lots of high end and mids to make the gain channel crunch.

mine is single channel i have the slx version of the 900 im really haveing trouble getting a good crunchy sound out of it
I have the 1 channel JCM900 and It can do hair metal fine. Put the treble high, presence high, mids high, and put the pre-amp to about 4 o clock and the gain sensitivity to about 5 o clock, and it sounds exactly like most 80's metal bands sounded like.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know what you meant
I Wanna know,
I Wanna know what you meant
that sounds really good thanks now i just need to a rocktron hush to reduce some of the excess feedback
Quote by 3lusiv3
I was gonna say that
Watch this. Any of CC's fluro BCs there would be fine .

i found this nice green acrylic bc rich mockingbird i may get lol
Quote by Lespaulman547at
yeah im thinkin about gettin a noise supressor or a noise gate is there a difference and what kind should i get and how does the ADA MP1 work im not rele familiar with pre amps

youll need to run it with a power amp. Marshall and Mesa Boogie make some sweet rackmount poweramps.

Boss GT-8
dude that sounds fine...do you have the skills to play hair metal though? like rob beach from dokken...or steve vai when he was in white snake...mab from nitro...im pretty sure you could classify yngwie as hair metal...stryper...they pwn't...so did wasp...so did all of it...
hair metal rules
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Quote by bi-ah!
dude that sounds fine...do you have the skills to play hair metal though? like rob beach from dokken...or steve vai when he was in white snake...mab from nitro...im pretty sure you could classify yngwie as hair metal...stryper...they pwn't...so did wasp...so did all of it...
hair metal rules

Rob Beach? How bout George Lynch... yeah baby!! 80s metal rules

Boss GT-8
im decent lol ive been playing a little over three years im no lynch beach or timmons though and i dont ever expect to be anybody know how to get a sound close to this one i keep tweeking my amp and it still dont sound like it ive heard compressor is needed but i dont know this is probably my favorite hair metal sound
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dRCCP1_09us