im building some stuff and i want to know if i could use a nickle or dime or even a quarter to ground cables to.
would it give me buzz?
Quote by WickedBeast666
Noooooooooooo how could this be! he at all the chocolate in the box
Oh well, now the empty shell of what used to be chocolaty goodness can contain a tasty guitar circuit.

speaking of my homemade pedal
a small metal object isnt a good source to ground something with
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
well it has to be screwed into something right? Like when you star ground to the screw with a washer screwed into a guitar body? I'm not great with electronics, but someone will have a diffinative answer for you.
the earth is a great source of ground, because it is so large it can take in huge amount of V or electric potentional...

The reason a negative terminal of a battery can be used as ground is because when you make a loop the electric potential becomes 0 and it gives the electrons a path to flow into. If you ground it into a small metal object neither of these would be able to happen.

throwing a coin or a screw at the end of a connection that is suppose to be grounded is really no different then throwing some extra wire onto a connection and not connecting it to anything
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687
the earth is a great source of ground, because it is so large it can take in huge amount of V or electric potentional...

The reason a negative terminal of a battery can be used as ground is because when you make a loop the electric potential becomes 0 and it gives the electrons a path to flow into. If you ground it into a small metal object neither of these would be able to happen.

throwing a coin or a screw at the end of a connection that is suppose to be grounded is really no different then throwing some extra wire onto a connection and not connecting it to anything

+1

If anything, create a grounding chain for your components going from the coin to the jack sleeve. Also, make sure that the coin doesn't have an oxidised or otherwise coated surface.
It'll be fine, maybe... It will be if you have a V+ source coming from it also so it doesn't lose/gain lots of electrons...
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
It's not nearly large enough, and most coins nowadays (at least in the US) have a zinc core, which isn't very conductive. I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to ground, but if it's a a guitar you should ground to the bridge, if it's an amp you need to use chassis and proper outlet grounding.
pretty sure you aren't aloud to deface currancy so dont tell any government people haha
Quote by Roc8995
Changing strings on a bigsby is alarmingly similar to flossing the teeth of a pissed-off sabertooth tiger while blindfolded.
Quote by garrett7
pretty sure you aren't aloud to deface currancy so dont tell any government people haha

The exact lettering of the law prohibits defacing "with intent to render such item(s) unfit to be reissued," so depending on how you used it you'd be in the clear.
The real question is "does a quarter or a nickel sound better?"
I wonder if that law applies in Britain...

...I've destroyed a fair bit of money in Chemistry classes by using pennies for electrolysis.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.