Ok so what exactly is defined as the basics? Where is the line drawn between basics and advanced exercises? All I see is people saying just learn the basics but only name off one or two things... like scales for example.

What is the full spectrum of the basics? What does it entail?

Ive been playing for less then 2 months and I still dont know what all the basics are.

All i see is people parroting the same advice over and over again: "Focus on the basics" "Learn the basics first" "Just worry about the basics" and not going into detail as to what they are.

And for all those ready to not give any productive advice with "Use the search button".

If you type in, basics - or the basics or change it around you dont really come up with much. I know at least one person will be smart and say "Use the search button".

But hey if your already here and posting why not just chime in to what the basics really are.
Scales, chords, proper technique such as picking, alternate picking, learning about the guitar a little, learning what notes are what (E,F,G and so on) and things like restringing tuning, using a metronome and reading sheet music or tabs?
I believe justinguitar.com is great for your first 2 weeks. But after that its more like warm up exercises if that.
well, there's the 9 most common chords: A, Am, C, D, Dm, E, Em, F, G

and for scales, there's the blues scale, playing the first 4 frets on all the strings, and one like this

e-0-1-3
B-0-1-3
G-0-2
D-0-2-3
A-0-2-3
E-0-1-3

If you need a good song that uses a lot of chords, try American Pie. just ingore all the 7's and everyting (for example, play D instead of D7)
The basics are the essential techniques and skills you need to have in place before you can think about more complex stuff, so...

Being able to tune your guitar.
Knowing the notes of the open strings.
Being able to work out any note on the fretboard (notice, not "name on sight")
Knowing the basic open chords and understanding how to form more complex ones.
Changing chords quickly, smoothly and accurately.
Being able to pick the string or strings you want accurately.
The ability to fret notes cleanly so they ring clear.
Barreing and barre chords.
Playing in time.
Being able to co-ordinate your two hands when playing at slow/moderate speeds.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
The basics are the essential techniques and skills you need to have in place before you can think about more complex stuff, so...

Being able to tune your guitar.
Knowing the notes of the open strings.
Being able to work out any note on the fretboard (notice, not "name on sight")
Knowing the basic open chords and understanding how to form more complex ones.
Changing chords quickly, smoothly and accurately.
Being able to pick the string or strings you want accurately.
The ability to fret notes cleanly so they ring clear.
Barreing and barre chords.
Playing in time.
Being able to co-ordinate your two hands when playing at slow/moderate speeds.

Pretty much covers it. And if you do check out justinguitar for more than a few visits, I suggest you consider donating a little $. His site is entirely free and pretty good actually, but all that work is a time investment. (no I dont work for him or affiliated)
Maybe try getting one of those beginner guitar methods like Hal Leonard, Alfred, or Mel Bay. Those should give you a good foundation to build on IMO.
86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.