Okay, I'm gonna be getting a new guitar within the next couple of weeks, and I've been checking them out on the internet. I play death metal (Dying Fetus, Behemoth, Slayer, ect) and wondering what to look for. I've heard good things about Ibanez, Jackson, and Dean for this style. At the moment, I've got a Squier Tele, so pretty much anything will be a step up. I'm willing to spend about $600-$1000 Canadian, maybe even up to $1500 if need be.
I'm not a fantastic player, but I'm not terrible, probably an intermediate.
Any recommentations?
Ibanez S520EX, check it out.
Quote by Gummy Balls
Who the hell posts that they made up a chord on a guitar forum? He should of just called this thread " flame the shit out me".

~Founder of the Pokemon Appreciation Club~
For my tastes, I'd go with a Dean Razorback, make sure it's got the Dimbucker on it.
I'd stay away from Dean if you want to get your money's worth. Ibanez and Jackson seem like good bets. Maybe something from Carvin or higher end B.C. Rich's like the Calibres would be worth checking out as well.
I just bought an ESP LTD V-500. It is an amazing guitar, it will definately suit your needs and be an upgrade from your current guitar.
you need some active emgs my friend, just get a cheap 300 dollar guitar and put some emg 81 and 85s in there and bam your ready for metal
^Contrary to popular belief, EMG's do take some tone from the wood. so, TS, Schecter C-7 Hellraiser, C-1 hellraiser, if you want a floyd C-1 hellraiser FR.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
^Contrary to popular belief, EMG's do take some tone from the wood. so, TS, Schecter C-7 Hellraiser, C-1 hellraiser, if you want a floyd C-1 hellraiser FR.

+1

quite decent guitars.. carvin dc ftw!
Gear?!

Fender Champion 600

Weeping Demon Wah
Metal Muff
Blues Driver

Member 6 of the CARVIN CLUB!!

Ibanez S320 Budget:
0/500usd
What kind of amp do you have? Tone is mostly amp (*imo about 70/30). So spend more on an amp and buy a decent schecter
Gear:
Schecter c1+
Peavey Raptor exp

Vox ad30vt
schecter hellraiser series, schecter blackjack atx series, jackson pro series and up, esp 400 and higher, ibanez like $500 and higher roughly, basically those.
specifically, i like schecters of all kinds, jackson rr3s, usa king vs and rr's, esps of all kinds, and ibanez rg 2550s and such, and s 520 and higher
Quote by Hpda5121
im not a racist because racism is a crime, and crime is for black people

fender mexican fat strat (discontinued)
mesa triple recto
digitech grunge
digitech death metal
Thanks for all the help guys, I'm these out in right now. I'll see what they've got at the store and test 'em out.
Quote by _DeX_
What kind of amp do you have? Tone is mostly amp (*imo about 70/30). So spend more on an amp and buy a decent schecter

I've got a Line Six Flextone Three. I'm happy with the tone, just sick of playing cheap Squiers (both of my guitars have been Squiers).

Quote by thisismyacc
you need some active emgs my friend, just get a cheap 300 dollar guitar and put some emg 81 and 85s in there and bam your ready for metal

Would it be better to buy a cheaper guitar, and fork out a little extra dough for some nice pickups, or just buy a fancy guitar and use factory pickups?
Slayer isnt death metal, one of the big four thrash bands. But the common guitar everyone likes in this range, is the Hellraiser.
Yeah definatly look into some shecters (sp?) check out the Loomis sig, its 7 strings of dope
Quote by pslice
Thanks for all the help guys, I'm these out in right now. I'll see what they've got at the store and test 'em out.

I've got a Line Six Flextone Three. I'm happy with the tone, just sick of playing cheap Squiers (both of my guitars have been Squiers).

Would it be better to buy a cheaper guitar, and fork out a little extra dough for some nice pickups, or just buy a fancy guitar and use factory pickups?

Schecter Hellraisers come with EMG's stock.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
same w/ jackson dinky DKMGT. very nice guitar. go try 1
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
Quote by jamogod
For my tastes, I'd go with a Dean Razorback, make sure it's got the Dimbucker on it.

meh...

So much better guitars with better pickups for that price. For my tastes though...
Quote by pslice

Pickups wont matter as much as your amp does. I am not familiar with your amp, so i would say get a nice guitar, and if you dont like the tone, maybe get some new pickups or think about replacing your amp.AMP>PICKUPS
For Metal I wouldnt get anything but an Ibanez, Jackson, or ESP. Dean's really expensive models are good, but Ibanez and ESP are the best for your money in my opinion.
Quote by BassmanArk
Slayer isnt death metal, one of the big four thrash bands. But the common guitar everyone likes in this range, is the Hellraiser.

i was going to say the same thing, but decided that i would let it slide. so you get a very stealthy +1

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
Quote by pslice
I play death metal (Dying Fetus, Behemoth, Slayer, ect) ?

But seriously, Try an Ibanez 7 Stringer? im not sure how many Death Bands use 7 String Guitars but it would probobly be useful to Have. The Xiphos 7 Is a pretty nice guitar.

Id Say avoid Dean.
DONT BUY A DEAN, they suck balls...
Live Rig:
Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s
Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 Head
Mark IV Combo
Marshall 1960a Cab w/ Vintage 30s
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59s
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Currently in Ontario, Canada.