You realize how hard it was for people to "find out" about music?

Just think, once there were primitive cavemen that hit rocks together and that led all the way to modes, time signatures, tonics, etc. all that

Imagine living back in the past when little was known about music, and how it has evolved. Its almost the same as math. People had to figure out all of that.

So when you are playing something, you are playing that because its musically correct (hopefully ) because some guy figured out how music works.

Also, back then, when people thought the earth was flat, they believed they were right, they were wrong.

So mabye, in the future, people will say

"Can you believe that people used to think that there was a major scale?"
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Wow, yeah. I figure percussion would be easy to figure out. But guitar...wow...thats all I have to say.

EDIT: Piano! thats really complex.
Signature temporarily empty
You can make music without abiding by theory. It may not be as good, but it's still music. Theory is just a large quantity of guidelines. Music still works without it. Well at least that's what I think. Interesting thread, though.

I mean just playing random notes. It still works, it just sounds...terrible. But that's the perspective of people in general. So people made up theory to make it easier to make good music.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
Last edited by BringMeTheCalm at Apr 14, 2008,
I think it about this all the time. It is pretty crazy. I think developing what distances of notes would actually be tones, and then determining this is how sharps and flats work is kind of strange to think about.
Yeah, music theory is just to describe music really. You can use it to write music, but it isnt necessary.

Still, the whole system is really complex