Over the summer i am planning a number of builds. One of these is an acoustic build, so my question is what would be the best way to glue up the soundboard. Clamps don't really seem like their going to work well.
okay this picture shows the two halfs placed together. you start off with a flat piece of plywood, particle board, or some smooth flat material. it should be about 20 by 24 inches (or large enough for your guitar top). A piece of 2 x 4 about 24 inches long (shown on left), a few little scrap blocks (on right), and 3 small hardwood wedges. wedges are tapered from about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch, and about 1/4 inch high, so as to pertrude slightly above the plate.

i will give further instructions in a second...
Attachments:
guitar stuff.jpg
Member #5 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club.

PM forsaknazrael to join
okay, do this without any glue. clamp down the 2x4 onto the flat board. place the left half of the plate against the 2x4 with the gluing edge towards the centre. put a piece of newspaper about 6 inches wide under the gluing edge. place the right half of the plate onto the board up against the left half. put the 3 blocks next to the outside edge of the right hand plate. leave about 3/16 of an inch between the plate and the blocks. clamp the blocks. insert the wedges in between the blocks and the plate, they should become tight when pushed half way in.

PM forsaknazrael to join
now for the gluing. remove the wedges, apply the glue down the edge of the right hand plate. smooth it out with your finger. place the right plate against the left one, gently slide the plates back and forth to ensure the glue goes onto both edges. hold the seam down with your hand contiually. insert the wedges, Very gently tap in the wedges a little with a hammer. with a scrap block of wood, tap along both sides of the seam to make sure both edges of the plate are flush with the gluing board. still holding the seam, tap the wedges in a bit more with a hammer. lay a weight eg: a clamp over the seam. Leave to dry!

PM forsaknazrael to join
Leave for like half an hour to dry. oh, and before you remove the weight after drying, push out the wedges, then remove the weight. clean off any newspaper, then lean up against a wall for half an hour to let air circulate around the joint.

To understand this process, read "Guitarmaking, tradition and technology"

PM forsaknazrael to join