I've searched, didn't see anything like this

I have a Boss GT-6 and a DS-1, generally don't use the DS-1 but would be quite happy to rip it apart if it could be modded to make it work in the way I want:

Is it possible to vary the level of distortion (or gain or whatever term is appropriate) using some kind of pedal? so that you can smoothly transition from 0 to 100% of your desired distortion and pass through all the middleground as well

(dunno if that makes sense)

just that I'm now the only guitarist in my band, so I'm having to switch around my effects a lot more, and jumping from a clean sound straight to a heavy tone sounds clumsy, so I'd like to be able to build into it a little more

I tried to rig it up on the GT-6 so that the EXP pedal controlled the gain, but it would only let me toggle it on and off the way i was trying

so really, any help with setting up the GT-6 to achieve this, any advice on available products, or any help with modding the DS-1 would be much appreciated =]
There's a pedal out there that fits exactly what you're looking for - Akai Shred O' Matic. It may be hard to get your hands on one of those pedals, I don't believe they're in production any more.
i know on a Digitech rp350 you can set the distortion level to the expression pedal, are you sure there isnt anyway you can do that on the gt-6?
Schecter Damien FR
Hohner Acoustic
Crate V-18 212
Crate 10W Practice Amp
Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion
Killswitch Pedal (Built by me)
Digitech RP350
i would have thought so, but i'm yet to discover it =P

cheers for the replies, it's good to hear that these are available (because all the modding options i can think of are too complex for me to try =P) and i shall browse ebay and ask in my local music shops too =]

any other input is still appreciated, like whether there are any single pedals (as opposed to multi fx) which can do this?

cheers
I haz an Idea.

Take a Boss DS-1, or your favorite distortion pedal, and put this gadget on the knob for distortion.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tone-in-Progress-Third-Hand-Expression-Pedal-?sku=150146
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Quote by Guitarmiester
You could always utilize your guitars volume control.

yeah, that works to a certain extent, but the tone is still distorted
i need to go from a complete clean to my full distortion

Quote by FLCLcowdude
I haz an Idea.

Take a Boss DS-1, or your favorite distortion pedal, and put this gadget on the knob for distortion.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...dal-?sku=150146

oooh, niice
ugly as sin, but nice! =P

might be a bit of a bitch if i was to try and fit it to the GT-6, it'd be a fun experiment though... I think I might just give it a go and see if those knobs are removable =P
I know my zoom multi effects has a setting to use the expression pedal to change the gain. Adding it to a stomp box might be a bit of a pain. But something along the line of a volume pedal using the correct pot for the gain knob on a distortion pedal wired into the signal path would probably work.
Hmmm.....

[tries to remember if there's any way to get a Fuzz Probe to clean up completely]

EDIT: [sees that gadget and immediately attempts to figure out how to hook it up to the gain pot on the Soldano's really dirty channel] How long do you think that attachment cable is?
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Last edited by Kendall at Apr 15, 2008,
Quote by FLCLcowdude
I haz an Idea.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tone-in-Progress-Third-Hand-Expression-Pedal-?sku=150146

This is probably your best bet. You just gotta practice so you dont mess up. When you are on distortion and want to go to clean just start to move the pedal for less gain and when you have lowered it as much as it will go just turn off the pedal. Likewise when you go from clean to distortion make sure its a minimum distortion turn on the pedal and gradually use the pedal to increase the gain.
Adding/removing gain will change the volume levels of your sound though. So itd be a bit tricky, a cheaper/free alternative would to be playing with the pedal on then using your volume knob to clean it up.