yea i know i'm gonna start a war with this
but for the record i do finger pick/slap/pop/and i even do 3 finger gallops

but i just prefer picks

but i need help getting one
i use to use a purple on but i lost it this morning and i cant remeber the damn thickness

but anyway
it was plastic and i noticed id get like a scratchy tone from it

any sugesstion of wht i could use for a smoother tone
...buy a few? They arn't that expensive
If your parents never had children, chances are, you wont either.

Member #2 of Kerry/Edwards fanclub
sounds like you used a 3.0 mm big stubby. i use them for bass on the occassion that i use a pick. i started out on pick and moved to fingers mostly.

anyways. try using a pick that's 1.5 mm and it has a picture of a gator head on it. it's made by dunlop. i use it sometimes because it seems to be made of a slightly softer material. or maybe it's coated with something. dunno just try 'em. they're ok and i use them when playing my electric guitar too. you won't wanna go too thin probably because bass strings can chew through light picks.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by IndianRockStar

Those, IMO are the best picks around. If you want a smoother tone, either a)play with fingers or b)get a felt pick.

i beleive that is a Copy right infringement
^^^^

yes. try those too. i was not a fan of how they felt to play with but they sounded good. maybe they'll fit your style.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by Revelation
^^^^

yes. try those too. i was not a fan of how they felt to play with but they sounded good. maybe they'll fit your style.

a good tip

if you dont like the feel of the felt

put some tape on the area where you place your fingers

so that it feels more plastic-y

but still is Felt sounding
Quote by IndianRockStar
It was a Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm.

Those, IMO are the best picks around. If you want a smoother tone, either a)play with fingers or b)get a felt pick.

I bought a few of these the other day (I tend to lose or go through picks fairly quickly. Mainly lose though) and I've found they're slightly thicker than I like. I was using tortex .88mm picks before I think - the green ones. I very rarely use picks for my bass anyway, but either the .88's or the next size up should be good.
Like Fitz said in a thread on this very page, picks cost 20 - 50 cents a piece. Grab the change from your couch and go grab a cool half dozen to a dozen picks of varying thickness and give them a go. Your bound to find one that works.

The rest you can use to make bass related jewelry or give them to your fans!
Quote by hightension01
i beleive that is a Copy right infringement

Of what? My first post was within a minute of yours? No matter anyway

About felt picks though, I didn't like how they shed all over my bass. Made it look really dirty. Sure that shouldn't matter, but it still does to me.
Quote by IndianRockStar
It was a Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm.

or maybe it was a planet waves 1.14 wich is also purple

try with many picks as you can
and most people uses fat picks(1mm to 5mm) but try 0.58 and all the gauges you need until you find one for you
IMO thin picks = better tone
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Last edited by litus at Apr 15, 2008,
It's worth being able to use a pick. It's not something I do often, but it's a good idea to buy a load of picks and find which one is right for you (during which time you'll get your pick technique down) as these guys have said
Check out the Dunlop Gator Grip! I love thoose but i don't actually use picks that often....
I use the knee caps of dead corpses.

EDIT - wouldnt it be even more hXc if they were still alive?

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
This is going to sound absolutely stupid but I've used the same pick for what must be coming up to 6-7 years. seeing as its now a good deal thinner at the tip now I'm going to go into town and try and get a load of picks that are as close to it as possible.

Then I'm going to retire that pick by sticking it in a place where it won't get lost or make it into some classy jewellery.
Quote by kaptink
Then I'm going to retire that pick by sticking it in a place where it won't get lost or make it into some classy jewellery.

Get a hole punch and a cheap chain. Then you can be like every other cool scene kid about that have a plec on their neck!

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
I think any pick under 2mm is way too clicky on bass.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I use D'Andrea 1.14mm they're purple and they're the best ones i've used so far - i only ever use plectrums and the 2.00mm doesnt really sound that impressive but hey just my humble opinion....
Quote by Metalcredge
2mm in Purple is a killer like. I'm going to have to get me another one of them as I used them in my days of picking.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=53&pmh=products/picks

Hey thats the one I was talking about that I have
if its above 1.1 mm you get yourself a winner.
My red is so confident that he flashes trophies of war and
ribbons of euphoria
I'm gonna jump on the "Use fingers = smoother tone" bandwaggon.

I'm of the opinion that picks sound good if you want a punky sort of tone.
This week I have mostly been listening to...

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
As an additional remark, I would advise everybody to stfu and listen to Buz XD

I use yellow or green wedges (the big triangle ones). The yellow ones are borderline too thin.
I tried some Dunlop .88's (green), and I really wouldn't recommend them unless you try it first. I find they give a really high attack, which some people have found just too harsh for them, but I like the feel of them when I do use them. Generally, 1mm or higher is "acceptable" for a bass.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Quote by fendric
Check out the Dunlop Gator Grip! I love thoose but i don't actually use picks that often....

I love Gator Grips. I use them for everything now. The heavier ones for bass (1.14mm+) or lead guitar, the .96mm for general guitar, .64 for acoustic. Get such a well rounded tone from them, especially on bass as they seem to shave off some of the unpleasant clacky pick noise that the normal Tortex style picks give, and they're so comfy to grip. Does exactly what it says on the tin.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.