Is the tragedy of art the fact that you have to exploit yourself for the sake of creating art?

Or am i just being emo?
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
You're just being emo.

Since when did you have to exploit yourself for the sake of creating art? Exploitation is just for making money.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
What are you talkign about?
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Quote by MedicreDemon
What are you talkign about?

lemme try to rephrase this...the fact that you have to put so much of yourself in art to make it have meaning. all the bad things that you dont want people to know about. all the things that tear you up inside. the things that you hate/cant bear to think about.

like if your "muse" leads you to it, you kinda feel like you have an obligation to use it/incorporate it into your art.

the fact that you have to exploit yourself, and all the things that make up yourself, to make art that has meaning and truth in it.

does that make any more sense?
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
Your being really emo. Your not exploiting yourself in creating art. Its just a from of expression.
Artists don't have to be motivated by negative experiences or thoughts.

There is happiness, go outside and find some.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
Quote by NoLaurelTree000
lemme try to rephrase this...the fact that you have to put so much of yourself in art to make it have meaning. all the bad things that you dont want people to know about. all the things that tear you up inside. the things that you hate/cant bear to think about.

like if your "muse" leads you to it, you kinda feel like you have an obligation to use it/incorporate it into your art.

the fact that you have to exploit yourself, and all the things that make up yourself, to make art that has meaning and truth in it.

Yeah.

You're definitely just being emo.
Hmm. I disagree, but that's because my lyrics, even the dark ones, are 90% fiction. I write music that means something, but not necessarily something that's a part of myself.
Quote by NoLaurelTree000

I believe so.

But you don't need to exploit yourself by exposing yourself. Art IS about expressing what you feel. Showing yourself isn't exploiting yourself, it's making meaningful art.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
I understand your point, but honestly, i dont think so. Anybody who is passioned with something will always do his best doing that one thing and he will give everything he has to give for it to have some meaning. But, yes, the more energy, time, effort, or whatever you put in your music, the more meaning it will have to you. It should, and if it doesn't this is probably not for you, I mean, if you can't enjoy fully a thing, don't do it, it'll just be a pain in the *** each time you'll do it soo...

In my opinion, music, or art, is exactly like anything else in this world. If you want to be the best basketball player, the fastest runner or the best musician, you have to work hard and everyday to get to that point.

Edit: Just to be sure that everyone understand what I'm trying to tell, if you "exploit" yourself through music, that's not a good thing. But if you use parts of yourself, experiences or your own thoughts and feelings to make art, that's a good thing (most people do it). If you come to a point where you don't enjoy practicing or making your music, maybe you're too much into it, like forgetting your real life, or you don't do something that interests you. If you like playing Heavy Metal, and then, one day, you start playing country cause your aunt told you it would be better, you will probably not enjoy it.

And yes, you're kinda being emo, stop it please... or I'll have to hunt you. That's my job, being an Emo Hunter ( just joking ... )
Hello, Mirror - so glad to see you my friend, it's been a while

Help me - I can't break out this prison all alone
Save me - I'm drowning and I'm hopeless on my own
Heal me - I can't restore my sanity alone
Last edited by XDream_TheaterX at Apr 15, 2008,
Quote by evening_crow
I believe so.

But you don't need to exploit yourself by exposing yourself. Art IS about expressing what you feel. Showing yourself isn't exploiting yourself, it's making meaningful art.

maybe exploit isnt the right word i am looking for.

i mean more along the lines that if your "muse" brings you to things that youd rather not deal with, you almost feel obligated to work with it. i suppose you could just shove it away, but you might be missing out on something that might be an amazing work of art.

i guess i mean exploit in the way that you have to dig deep into yourself even if you dont like what you find.

this thought popped into my head, and i looked at artists as a whole as many of them are depressed, crazy, suicidal, etc. i realize that i am making a vast generalization, but i figured that those tendencies had to come from somewhere and i wondered if it had anything to do with the art?

or maybe the art is just the exemplification of those tendencies?
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
What the hell ... Imagine yourself, being one of those superstars making millions of cash every year, with a succesful life, a family, a big house, and making good music for you and your fans... what would you want more ( except being God ) ? I mean, you can't think about suicide if you're in a situation like that. A few years before, when nobody knows you, when you don't even have a dime in your pocket, without family, alone in the streets playing anything with your crappy acoustic guitar, I would understand someone living in that situation to think about killing himself...

Most artist ( I guess ), who writes about suicide, tells that this isn't a situation. Some people are really bad at interpreting lyrics. Those people would think the song tells them to killthemselves, but if I was one of those artists with fanclubs, i wouldn't want my fans to kill themselves.
Hello, Mirror - so glad to see you my friend, it's been a while

Help me - I can't break out this prison all alone
Save me - I'm drowning and I'm hopeless on my own
Heal me - I can't restore my sanity alone
Quote by NoLaurelTree000

It's about self expression. It's relieving when you're done with your piece.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
I think that's the beauty of art

This will get a better response on a forum that's not filled with 13 year old guitar heroes.
Quote by XDream_TheaterX
What the hell ... Imagine yourself, being one of those superstars making millions of cash every year, with a succesful life, a family, a big house, and making good music for you and your fans... what would you want more ( except being God ) ? I mean, you can't think about suicide if you're in a situation like that.

Kurt Cobain?

look at how successful brittany spears was and how much of a mess her life is now

EDIT:
Quote by stringmagician

This will get a better response on a forum that's not filled with 13 year old guitar heroes.

Word.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns