Hey all. Tomorrow, I'm going pedal shopping. I was in my local music shop the other day, and this guy tried to sell me a MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive. I'm kind of interested in it, but I don't know how it would work with my setup. I'm playing my beloved Razorback though a Crate FW120, and was wondering if the ZW overdrive would be good for boosting my distorted channels on the amp. I've been told that it works beautiful for dirty tube amps. Would it work on a solid state amp too?
Quote by Kensai
I'm no fancy doctor, but it sounds like you've got the clap.
Quote by hushie_619
Hey all. Tomorrow, I'm going pedal shopping. I was in my local music shop the other day, and this guy tried to sell me a MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive. I'm kind of interested in it, but I don't know how it would work with my setup. I'm playing my beloved Razorback though a Crate FW120, and was wondering if the ZW overdrive would be good for boosting my distorted channels on the amp. I've been told that it works beautiful for dirty tube amps. Would it work on a solid state amp too?

Meh, you're not doing the same thing when you boost a transistor amp. When you boost a valve amp with an overdrive, you're sending a hotter signal into the amp, thus driving the preamp valves and giving you a bit more saturation.

Doing it on a transistor amp just makes it overly noisy and fuzzy.

Get a distortion pedal and use your clean channel.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
DO IT I HAVE THE SAME SETUP BUT I HAVE NO ZAKK WYLD PEDEL, sry caps, ive wanted that pedle for along time along with a dimebag wah but im to broke i soon hope to have a job tho soon
lol, I have the dimebag wah, its beautiful. But anyways, if not the MXR, what distortion would you reccomend? I have a Digitech Death Metal and a Boss DS2, but I'm trading in both, because the overdrive channel sounds better than the DS2, and the Death Metal is beaten by the High Gain channel. I'm looking for something to either boost the channels I have, or a distortion that'll blow it outta the water.
Quote by Kensai
Quote by hushie_619
lol, I have the dimebag wah, its beautiful. But anyways, if not the MXR, what distortion would you reccomend? I have a Digitech Death Metal and a Boss DS2, but I'm trading in both, because the overdrive channel sounds better than the DS2, and the Death Metal is beaten by the High Gain channel. I'm looking for something to either boost the channels I have, or a distortion that'll blow it outta the water.

Well, a Guyatone MMX Metal Monster would be ideal.

A Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff would be a pretty solid choice too.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Sounds good, any other suggestions to get a good distorted tone out of my amp?
Quote by Kensai
After checking that site, it looks like the Guyatone MMX Metal Monster is a little out of my price range. How is the Metal Muff?
Quote by Kensai