Hey!
I'm building a custom guitar and I wonder if it's possible to have a floyd rose without the locking nut and still retain tuning stability?

Greetings Martin
I think not
but hey I'm a bassist what do I know about all the fancy guitar things :P
Quote by NoobMuncher3000
BRILLIANT!

Quote by weemansyndrome

(__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.
It depends on what you are doing really.. some guitarists don't have a locking nut because they only use flutters and that type of thing. Now, if you're going to be dive-bombing everywhere, you'll need one.
Nope, theres a reason why they sell the Floyd with a locking nut You're probably trying to avoid getting the neck routed for a Floyd nut huh? Yea no way around it really, gotta get it done
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
all carvin's guitars now have locking tuners instead of a locking nut. same with petrucci's ebmm.
Yes, the locking nut is an option on Carvin's and Chris Broderick doesn't have one on his sexy Ibanez RGA-7. You shouldn't need one if you only use the trem for minor dives and what not. If you pretend to be Vai get one
Quote by DSOTM80
Nope, theres a reason why they sell the Floyd with a locking nut You're probably trying to avoid getting the neck routed for a Floyd nut huh? Yea no way around it really, gotta get it done

Yeah that's realy the thing I already got locking tuners so is the nut realy necesary?
Quote by marremarteng
Yeah that's realy the thing I already got locking tuners so is the nut realy necesary?

I'd get the neck routed. You don't have to have it drilled for the neck through screws if you don't want which will cost less. Do you already have the neck or getting one made? If you're getting one made then get it routed for a Floyd nut. If you already have the neck then make sure its done by someone who knows what they are doing, if they route it in the wrong place poof there goes your neck.

If you're just going to be using the tremolo sparingly and not do any major dive bombs then keep the locking tuners and maybe go for a different type bridge. Personally I'd have the Floyd nut installed if you're installing an OFR, I think it would look odd without it.
Maby I go for the nut prep then. Anyway about the bridge; as everything else is in gold I'm probably getting the bridge in gold to. But I'm gonna use this a lot and after what i've heard gold isn't that reliable when it comes to rust and pitting. Shall I go for chrome or gold?
Hmm, wont it stay in tune, with lets say, the floyd rose + locking tuners? (without locking nut)
'cause, it basicly does the same thing ( i may be wrong here , but hey..)
Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

Quote by marremarteng
Maby I go for the nut prep then. Anyway about the bridge; as everything else is in gold I'm probably getting the bridge in gold to. But I'm gonna use this a lot and after what i've heard gold isn't that reliable when it comes to rust and pitting. Shall I go for chrome or gold?

From what I've heard the chrome OFR's are the best, then black then gold. I don't have any personal experience. Having said that though it mainly depends how you use it. They'll all last the same more or less, doesn't mean a chrome will be like new 20yrs from now and a gold one will look like crap. If you want the gold one get it. They are all built like a brick house. Where you getting your neck made by the way? You doing it through Warmoth?
Quote by decadence5423
You'll probably still want to add a string retainer bar. Pretty minor modification.

It comes with the OFR in the packaging
Quote by decadence5423
You'll probably still want to add a string retainer bar. Pretty minor modification.

That won't be nececary. I'm going for the angled peghead=more sustain and tone. Warmoth will hopefully do a great job. Then I'll go for the gold version. Hopefully I'll last for at least 10 years before breaking. It's the original version and that must make sense. Maby I can spray it with something to avoid the rust and pitting aswell . But the question still remains. Nut or not?
Quote by marremarteng
That won't be nececary. I'm going for the angled peghead=more sustain and tone. Warmoth will hopefully do a great job. Then I'll go for the gold version. Hopefully I'll last for at least 10 years before breaking. It's the original version and that must make sense. Maby I can spray it with something to avoid the rust and pitting aswell . But the question still remains. Nut or not?

I'd still put a retainer bar on there, your choice though. You won't need to spray it don't worry. Just a quick wipe if it gets sweaty from playing and 10yrs for an Original Floyd Rose is nothing

By the way, Warmoth does not completely finish their necks. Here I'll quote their website..

"Note: On maple necks with maple fingerboards the entire neck is finished including the fingerboard & frets. We do not remove the finish from the frets. This work is part of the set up, assembly and fret leveling process, and these services are not currently available from Warmoth Guitar Products, Inc." http://www.warmoth.com/paint/paint.cfm?fuseaction=necks

So basically unplayable unless you get a tech to do the final setting up for you. Which is fine, but for the price look into Musikraft. They are licensed by Fender and also do Charvel necks, and they come fully ready when shipped I'm pretty sure. Their options include stuff like how much you want your fingerboard edges rolled, pretty good stuff from them from what I've heard from the Kramer forum guys. They have express necks also ready to be shipped pretty much right away. I'd check them out also musikraft.com

EDIT:

I've never heard that an angled peghead gives more sustain and tone, hmm will look into that if its true.
Last edited by DSOTM80 at Apr 16, 2008,
i think you dont need lock nuts with thos kalher tramlos or whatever they are
Dan The Man Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians Only

Gear Fund 1000/ ???

Yes his name is Dan
Quote by DSOTM80
I'd still put a retainer bar on there, your choice though. You won't need to spray it don't worry. Just a quick wipe if it gets sweaty from playing and 10yrs for an Original Floyd Rose is nothing

By the way, Warmoth does not completely finish their necks. Here I'll quote their website..

"Note: On maple necks with maple fingerboards the entire neck is finished including the fingerboard & frets. We do not remove the finish from the frets. This work is part of the set up, assembly and fret leveling process, and these services are not currently available from Warmoth Guitar Products, Inc." http://www.warmoth.com/paint/paint.cfm?fuseaction=necks

So basically unplayable unless you get a tech to do the final setting up for you. Which is fine, but for the price look into Musikraft. They are licensed by Fender and also do Charvel necks, and they come fully ready when shipped I'm pretty sure. Their options include stuff like how much you want your fingerboard edges rolled, pretty good stuff from them from what I've heard from the Kramer forum guys. They have express necks also ready to be shipped pretty much right away. I'd check them out also musikraft.com

EDIT:

I've never heard that an angled peghead gives more sustain and tone, hmm will look into that if its true.

I checked it out and it looks realy great . One thing is that I found is that they don't do necks with 3+3 tuner holes(wich I bought at Guitarpartsresource). About the finish on the frets I don't think that's a problem because I'm using a ebony board and finnishing the neck myself, so no problem with that if you see another site, please tell me and I check it out Thanks anyway
Quote by marremarteng
I checked it out and it looks realy great . One thing is that I found is that they don't do necks with 3+3 tuner holes(wich I bought at Guitarpartsresource). About the finish on the frets I don't think that's a problem because I'm using a ebony board and finnishing the neck myself, so no problem with that if you see another site, please tell me and I check it out Thanks anyway

I think you misunderstood what they wrote, they leave the finish on the fingerboard on the maple cause the frets are not done meaning the frets are not leveled and set up, it doesn't matter what fingerboard you choose, maple will have a finish on them but even with ebony or rosewood the frets will not be ready for playing. You'll need to pay someone to roll the edges and level out the frets and get it ready for playing. Of course you can do this yourself if you know how and have the right tools. I think Stew-Mac has the stuff you need. I'm not saying don't use Warmoth, they are good just giving you a heads up for when you get your neck and won't go "WTF"
Must have missed that line . Thank you and I'll watch out for that when I do the final assembly on this piece of ****