whats the best guitar you've ever played that you've never heard of?

i played this electric the other day which was crafted by one of the local luthiers here in victoria. gorgeous piece of work, made completely from scratch. had a $700 price tag but easily rivaled any $1500 i've ever played.. (I would probably say it was better if i had enough time with it.)

anyway, share your stories of those unknown gems!
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Well, probably my first ever guitar, it was one of them stratocaster copies, $300 price tag I believe, but even with the original single coils, it took distortion quite well, I can easily compare it to the Jackson Kelly I currently play.
a late 70's hondo strat. best sounding and playing strat i've ever laid my hands on. stupidly i traded it away for an sg.
My pick, assuming almost no one knows about Lyle guitars, is the 1802T. I bought it used, for $50 USD...probably because no one could recognize the brand. Turns out that it has a better and more solid neck than any strat, and an interesting twist: You could actually change capacitors with the flip of a slide switch. The first time I tried it, I almost swallowed my teeth! The stock pickups were single coils, but you could make them sound almost like a good humbucker by flipping that switch. Great tone, and solid as a rock. Being a tech, I set it up myself, and it plays like a dream. I'm in the process of switching out the pickups for humbuckers, though...to avoid the noise...only downside. Best no name bargain I've ever picked up!

joey45
Yea, I've played a Hondo Strat too, it had 3 holes in increasing size drilled through it and re-painted, it was the sex.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
There's some no name guitar at my school. It's been re-finished in white at some point, so I have no idea who its made by. It looks pretty old, and resembles a tele in shape. Its HH configuration, with a V neck profile. Plays great
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!