Alrighty, some time this year i am planning on getting a rather expensive amp. I am looking mainly at Diezel VH4(s), Soldano SLO, Elmwood Modena, Bogner XTC etc... Now these are all really high power heads. At the moment im leaning towards the Diezel VH4(s) because of its many features.. I will most likely be running it through 2 2x12s, one front loaded with V30s, and the other rear loaded with speaker to be named. This would be fine, if i was planning on staying at home.. Alas i am planning on moving into a unit or townhouse. Obviously a town house would be the best option but not neccessarily possible. Starting to see my problem? Yes, thats right, i'm gunna be wayyyyyy too loud to practise at home. I've toyed with the idea of leaving the amp at a rehersal space but dont wanna cause i said so and you aint gunna change my mind. See now i know i can use an attenuator but im worried about the Bass, will it be too much even at a low volume level? Another idea i've had has been a Isolation box... Problem is i need something to plug it into, which i do not have. And i dont wanna load up my computer everytime i wanna play.

So Basically i ask, what would be the best option. I dont wanna buy another amp for home practise but i dont know what else i could do... Help UG! What would you do?
the best idea that comes to mind is an attenuator.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Yes but would it still be too bassy? I dont wanna piss off all my nieghbours..
to be honest i've never used one. but from what i under stand it's basically a master volume box for whatever amp you have. hence why it's good for getting OD outta single channel amps, cuz then the volume knob on a single channel amp is more like a pre-amp gain knob.

but yea, i imagine that ALL frequencies will be reduced in proportion, that seems ideal right? i mean if you EQ ur amp just right and turn down the master volume (assuming it has a master volume) then ALL the seperate EQs go down in proportion, it's not like ur mids and trebs will go down but not ur bass.

i dont see why ur bass would be a problem but if it is you might wanna just cut it out then. if ur at the point where you can't practice w/ the tone you want wherever ur gonna be living at, then it's time you get a small wattage practice amp so you CAN.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by nirvallica
Alrighty, some time this year i am planning on getting a rather expensive amp. I am looking mainly at Diezel VH4(s), Soldano SLO, Elmwood Modena, Bogner XTC etc... Now these are all really high power heads. At the moment im leaning towards the Diezel VH4(s) because of its many features.. I will most likely be running it through 2 2x12s, one front loaded with V30s, and the other rear loaded with speaker to be named. This would be fine, if i was planning on staying at home.. Alas i am planning on moving into a unit or townhouse. Obviously a town house would be the best option but not neccessarily possible. Starting to see my problem? Yes, thats right, i'm gunna be wayyyyyy too loud to practise at home. I've toyed with the idea of leaving the amp at a rehersal space but dont wanna cause i said so and you aint gunna change my mind. See now i know i can use an attenuator but im worried about the Bass, will it be too much even at a low volume level? Another idea i've had has been a Isolation box... Problem is i need something to plug it into, which i do not have. And i dont wanna load up my computer everytime i wanna play.

So Basically i ask, what would be the best option. I dont wanna buy another amp for home practise but i dont know what else i could do... Help UG! What would you do?

You seem to have pretty much decided on the high-end, way-more-powerful-than-you-need-at-home amps... But why? Do you usually play big (ie, >400 people) gigs?
I do play those gigs occasionly but i also know you can mike a 5 watter. Im getting one because of the TONE. And the Flexibilty of the VH4s is amazing. Stereo panning effects etc. You dont get the same tone out of a small amp. Plus the VH4s is only 50 watts per side. Which means at home i can use one power amp and just have 50 watts. Which i know is a lot for home practise, but nothing too ridiculous. And Believe me i've looked for lower wattage amps with the same capabilities, but they aint out there:-(.

And in my experience practise amps just annoy me. I'd rather have a ****ty tone through an amp i like, at least it still feels responsive.
Quote by nirvallica
I do play those gigs occasionly but i also know you can mike a 5 watter. Im getting one because of the TONE. And the Flexibilty of the VH4s is amazing. Stereo panning effects etc. You dont get the same tone out of a small amp. Plus the VH4s is only 50 watts per side. Which means at home i can use one power amp and just have 50 watts. Which i know is a lot for home practise, but nothing too ridiculous. And Believe me i've looked for lower wattage amps with the same capabilities, but they aint out there:-(.

And in my experience practise amps just annoy me. I'd rather have a ****ty tone through an amp i like, at least it still feels responsive.

Allright, then it makes sense. Sorry for assuming.

Well, an attenuator seems fit. What I would suggest though, is looking harder for a smaller amp for home usage. I know you won't like it as much as your new Diezel or Soldano or whatever you're gonna get, but it's worth it in the sense that you don't have to keep the master at like 1 or 2.

There are small amps that sound gorgeous.
No worries, i assume the same thing too a lot. Yeah i spose you're right. Problem is a nice low wattage amps here in Aus will be another few thousand. Thats another thing im loving about the High end amps, because theres no dealers here in Aus, i can prder stright from the factory and not pay the jack up rates..
Get a 1x12, open-back, with a really inefficient speaker like a greenback, and pad it with some carpeting, especially on the bottom so the bass doesn't travel through the floor so much. It won't solve your problem, but it might keep you from needing one more click on the attenuator, which is always good. You could also build an isolation cab, or use an attenuator as a reamping device (mute the speakers and then use the line out to drive a small, clean, quiet amp.
I can play my Bogner Uberschall with a 4x12 (140w total) cab at bedroom levels. Scoop the bass and no one will hear a thing (except maybe in the room next door or floor below).
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower