I know i have another thread up, but i figure a thread that specifies on this amp will bring better results.

This amp is up for sale on ebay for almost one third of the price brand new. I play 80's metal and vai/satch like shred stuff. Will this amp suffice? I'm mostly a bedroom player with the occasional gig here and there. I know 100 watts will be heaps but don't despair, i can get an attenuator down the road. I will be investing in an Od and an EQ as well for reference.

Main question is, will it have enough gain for what i need? will it sound good for the stuff im into? I've looked around and people seem to love it but nothing on my specific interests.

By the way i am NOT looking for a stereotypical Marshall sound, just something that sounds great for me.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Last edited by .:Darkness:. at Apr 15, 2008,
Well mate I have the 4102 (exactly the same just an extra speaker) and play the same stuff as you, it is a very good amp. Also you don't have to run it at 100watts, there is a switch to half it to 50 watts. With an OD and EQ you should reach the tones with no problem. If you can try it out first obviously that would be best but if not I think you'd be happy with it.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Does your friend have an email address? I'd really like to get some first hand opinions as well.

Trying out the amp might be hard because its a 5 hour drive and i don't have any petrol money anyway.

More opinions!!
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
i have a 4100 and i play the same stuff as you.i can play kill 'em all style trash and some slayer no probs.if i wanna get into metal like lamb of god or ozzy or bls i find it sounds better overdriven
Quote by Tiksi
people who think that the tuning peg things have to be straight. I went to the bathroom once, I come back, and my friend detunified my guitar, and then asked why it sounded weird. ARGG!!!

Sounds promising! How heavy can it get? It wouldn't be often but i occasionally like playing some Dream Theater. Thats about as heavy as i go though.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
i can play laid to rest by lamb of god out of it and songs like walk by pantera.umm i can get many sounds out of it.i basicaly have 4 channels.1. the amps clean 2.the amps clean with the od to produce a crunchy sound.3.the amps dist. 4.the amps dist with my od.
Quote by Tiksi
people who think that the tuning peg things have to be straight. I went to the bathroom once, I come back, and my friend detunified my guitar, and then asked why it sounded weird. ARGG!!!

i have a JCM900 4500 and it`ll do pretty much everything you want very well, my only thing with it, mine doesn`t have much lowend but other then that it`s a great amp.

Also my head HATED the 1936 2X12, it turned into a totaly different beast with the 4X12, sooo much louder and better sounding now. so i don`t know if the combo amps are the same or not.

oh and i play Slayer, and it does it pretty good, if you want heavyer, a good distortion pedal will take you there.
Ok then guys. I'm going to do it. I'm going to bid on the amp. Then talk to the owner and get him to cancel early for me so I'm not out-bid!
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Quote by .arkness:.
Does your friend have an email address?

Eh? Why would you want the Email address of a friend of mine? That's a bit weird.
Gear:
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
I wanted it so i could email him and ask him questions about the amp. The more info the better. Doesn't really matter now though, I've already sold my soul to ebay.

AHH: Does the JCM900 4101 have a master volume?! i was under the impression that it does. Can i still play it quietly with high gain without an attenuator? Or does the channel gain act as channel volume? then the channel master volume act as.. master volume?
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Quote by .arkness:.
I wanted it so i could email him and ask him questions about the amp. The more info the better. Doesn't really matter now though, I've already sold my soul to ebay.

I think your a little mixed up dude. I don't have any mates that own a JCM900. I OWN ONE!!! I think you need to read my original post again, and also take note of what's in my sig.

The amp has 2 seperate Master Volume knobs for each channel, 2 seperate Reverb knobs for each channel and also 2 seperate Preamp Gain knobs for each channel. It then has a shared EQ relevant to both channels with bass, mid, treble and presence.
Also I revert once again back to my original post. You do not have to run the amp to 100watt power. There is a switch on the back for you to run it at 50watts.
Gear:
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Ahh, satch, my bad lol. I thought you said that you have a mate with the JCM900. I even re-read it. Must be because its getting late here.

The half power switch i did see and it reminded me of a question: Is the half power switch an effective attenuator or is a pentode triode switch?
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
No worries man lol.
Well it isn't an attenuator so probably the pentode triode thing you mentioned. But all I know is that I did a medium sized gig with the amp, on the 50watt setting and I only had to turn it up to 7.
Gear:
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Another, extremely serious question: Does the gain go up to 11?
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
could i get a good hendrix tone out of one if i keep the gain down and on the clean setting for my fuzz?