Poll: Covers or Originals?
Poll Options
View poll results: Covers or Originals?
Covers, yo.
11 33%
Originals, yo.
22 67%
Voters: 33.
Do you prefer to cover a song, or would you rather write your own? I have to say I have more original songs down then covers. I prefer to write anyway, that way you're not limited.
Covers are fun to play 'cause the crowd can sing along but nothing beats writing own stuff and jamming.
We are "PSYCHONAUT", Psychedelic/Stoner/Sludge from Belgium.

Check out our recordings and shows here:

BandCamp
YouTube
FaceBook
Covers are always good fun to play live& jam too, Also if you write an original & you end up not liking it, it's never fun to play!
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.
when your starting out you HAVE to have some well known covers, it just helps draw the crowd in
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Write my own, or bands own. Covers are really fun to play, and good for when you are playing live if no one knows your stuff, but it's a different kind of satisfaction knowing it's your own.
I really love making covers my own, specially if it's an old classic by David Bowie or Queen, but writing your own stuff is good too.
Quote by fukyu1980
LOL ! muther fuker i was gonna say that LOL!
Originals, yo?

Covers, yo?

Personally, I prefer the humble yo, yo.

But seriously, I like a bit of both. Start out with something people know to grab their attention, then play your own stuff.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
original material, definately, my band has 8 songs of our own, and 4-5 covers. the crowd loves originals they can sing to. We get a bang out out playing Fack. XD
yes you do *shakes fist*
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
I like both.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
If I was in any way decent with writing, or had time for it, I'd probably prefer that. For now, I'm more than happy with my covers
~Domino?

This life's too good to last
and I'm too young to care.

Musics
Follow me on Twitter, I'm cool.
Quote by MastaBassist10
Covering electronic music isn't exactly typical, but I love doing a remix if an artist asks me

REEEEEEEEEEEEMIX!

Dan, I'll keep that in mind if I require your services.

edit:
Oh, and I prefer writing originals by far.

I try not to learn other people's songs, especially when it's a really 'emotional' piece (see John Petrucci's Wishful Thinking). It seems kinda lame to be trying to mimic someone else's notes and put your own feeling into it. I mean, it's great if you change it around and add your own style to it, but otherwise, it's just kinda lame.
Last edited by Archaon at Apr 15, 2008,