My first post.

Just starting out, and looking to buy my first Guitar. I was going to get a Fender Starter Pack, but having gone to a music store and seen LPs I've changed my mind.

Looking at the below on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Plus-Top-Vintage-Sunburst_W0QQitemZ160228400828QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item160228400828

Any advice? Its £264.98 or $521.56, Is that a good price? I may be able to get it cheaper if i make an offer.

Also, is the Orange CR15 CRUSH a good amp for the above? Remeber, this is my first guitar and will only be playing in my bedroom.

Thanks.
As a first guitar, Its very good, you might want too start with comething less expensive, If yoou decide guitars are not for you, it might be a waste of the money
Thanks for the feedback.

Another noob question - How do i check the authenticity? As it is ebay I want to make sure it is a Standard Plus and not an altered 100.
i'd be wary of buying online if you're just starting out. you (presumably) don't know how to do setups etc. and it's extremely unlikely to come out of the box in ready-to-play condition.

how much money do you have altogether, and what type of music do you want to play?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'd be wary of buying online if you're just starting out. you (presumably) don't know how to do setups etc. and it's extremely unlikely to come out of the box in ready-to-play condition.

how much money do you have altogether, and what type of music do you want to play?

I was looking at spending £350 max for everything (Guitar/amp/cables/stand/case/...)
I have been to my local music store and the prices seem so inflated.

The setup/tuning isn't that much of an issue, as I know a few experienced players. So far my choices have been made more on aesthetics than actual knowledge. I will be taking a guitar playing friend to a music store on the weekend to help me make a final decision.

In the mean time any advice is much appreciated.
Quote by Los Bandidos

The setup/tuning isn't that much of an issue, as I know a few experienced players. So far my choices have been made more on aesthetics than actual knowledge. I will be taking a guitar playing friend to a music store on the weekend to help me make a final decision.

Stellar idea. Most of the stores here will match online prices and in some cases beat them to get the business. Bringing your experienced friend to the store with you to try out some guitars will pay off for you in the long run. That LP is a good looking guitar, but how it plays and sounds is far more important than how it looks. I wouldn't go with online shopping for a first guitar though, you can probably do just as well at a shop. (Unless the UK doesn't deal gear the way GC and SamAsh do here in the US). Good luck! Post some picks if you get something.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Los Bandidos
I was looking at spending £350 max for everything (Guitar/amp/cables/stand/case/...)
I have been to my local music store and the prices seem so inflated.

ah, that's ok then (regarding the setups).

the other big problem with ordering online is that the guitar you buy in the shop can be awesome, but then you can get a lemon if you buy online. I'm not saying not to buy online, but generally the cheaper the instrument, the less good the quality control, i.e. more chance of a lemon.

You'd need to tell us what type of music you play, but for all-round stuff, it's hard to go wrong with a yamaha pacifica 112 (make sure it's at least a 112, not a 012) which is normally around £150 and roland microcube/cube 30 (not the cube 15 or 20, as those don't have amp models and as many fx) or vox valvetronix ad15vt for the amp (which are normally around the £100-£130 mark). That should give you the widest possible range of tones so you can start deciding what you like, and also will have some fx for you to mess around with (again to see which you use enough for when you start to buy pedals).

Though if you can tell us what you play, we might be able to think up better options, as those i suggested aren't at the limit of your budget just yet. You should be able to talk the store into throwing in free leads, plectrums, cheap strap, spare set of strings etc. though a free stand and/or case is probably pushing it a little so you'd probably want to keep at least a little back for that...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Is the problem with online ordering true even when using reputable company like Thomann?

The Yamaha and the Vox both look good value for the money, I will look into them further.

I like a wide selection of music. I like Megadeth and DragonForce just as much as the Who and the Stones. And I'm quite happy listening to modern guitar bands as well.

Thank you for the advice and help so far.
I just bought a modded Epi LP Std + and I love it! I noticed the advert said the Epi LP is the most famous...obviously it's not, but whatever. I would say that a double humbucker guitar is not the most versatile guitar out there and you might find it unacceptable for whatever style of music becomes yours. A S/S/H config is probably the best for a beginner.
Quote by Los Bandidos
Is the problem with online ordering true even when using reputable company like Thomann?

The Yamaha and the Vox both look good value for the money, I will look into them further.

I like a wide selection of music. I like Megadeth and DragonForce just as much as the Who and the Stones. And I'm quite happy listening to modern guitar bands as well.

Thank you for the advice and help so far.

yeah. there's nothing to say thomann might get a lemon, and even if it's not a lemon, a company selling the volume of stuff that thomann does i doubt does a setup on each guitar they sell (i could be wrong of course).

as i said, considering you have guitar-playing friends, it's probably less of a problem. but just bear in mind that thomann isn't always the cheapest, some stuff is more expensive than in the UK.

i'd say a pacifica 112 (or 412/612 if you can stretch to that) would be good for a wide variety of music. I'd probably go with the microcube or cube 30 if you play a lot of higher gain stuff, it handles it better than the valvetronix (which handles the classic stuff better).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for all your help Dave.

I popped into a music shop on my way home yesterday and you're right. For the price and value the Pacifica and Microcube look very good. As a beginner its better option than the Epi LP and Orange, especially the amp. It was stupid basing my choices on looks rather than practicality and functionality.

One last question though. What do the letters after the numbers mean on the Pacificas? (eg 112"V"or 112"M")
^ I'm not certain. I don't think it's anything major, maybe the type of finish, but don't quote me.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?