What do u think about them? Lets say, a song starts off with a medium tempo riff, then has a little fast part going into the verse, then the verse is faster, then bit before the chorus is slow and heavy, then the chorus is slow and aggressive. i know this all sounds a bit much to take in, but i am in a college band and the drummer says tht things like this ruins the songs whereas my guitarist likes the idea, me im not sure.. what do u reckon?
it actually depends on the lyrics...although your guitarist is right IMO but the drummer has to be "doing the tempo"...so he has more experience....try it out...worth it

my 2 cents
Well, your using different note durations no matter what. Tempo changes can sound good if you can make a good transition, if it just ruins the flow of the song then I don't like them. Pretty self explanatory...
Very much depends. Remember that if, as a band, you can't tightly pull it off, it will sound terrible.
If it's needed and you can all pull it off, go for it. I personally love it. It gives the song more personality and more depth than songs which stick to the same speed - alot of the time anyway (at least in my opinion)
I think it works really well in some songs. I wouldn't go too over the top with it though
~Domino?

This life's too good to last
and I'm too young to care.

Musics
Follow me on Twitter, I'm cool.
If the band can pull it off, it can sound amazing. If a band does it to much, then it just loses its value.

pepsi
yeh mate
i agree with the guy that talked about the transitions from tempos you really need to take that into account, in my band last year, we did a song with a slower section in the middle and someone suggested we make it a smoother transition into that section and when we tried that it sounded much better.
All depends on the drummer...

A band that does this well is Rise Against. They usually have a tempo change for each chorus, and then another one for solos. Check out Prayer Of The Refugee. The chorus goes up like, 60 BPM.
"Levelled up. Still no solos."
[img]http://sc2sig.com/s/eu/1405270-1.png[/img]
Good advice above.

I'll just add that it also depends on the style of music and your intended audience. For the most part, pop music really needs to stay dumbed down for the masses. If you want to be commercial, keep it simple. Whacky things like tempo changes usually only confuse people. Kinda the same thinking, I guess, that has producers of dance music put the kick drum on every single beat - real loud so people can find the beat.

For an audience that appreciates a more adventurous and artistic approach, keeping things too simple will alienate them. Adding tempo changes is a way of adding interest. Of course, if you do it too much you either run the risk of being too predictable (oh, another tempo change in this song too!!) or too confusing. (is this the same song... how many times can they change tempo in one song....wtf?)

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
personally i love it. listen to am i evil by metallica and you will the tempo pick up after the first verse. but it all depends on if your band can pull it off, and you need a really good drummer.
Quote by juckfush
If it's needed and you can all pull it off, go for it. I personally love it. It gives the song more personality and more depth than songs which stick to the same speed - alot of the time anyway (at least in my opinion)

thats right to me.
High Templar of the UG Secret Society
PM SickMetal or Sanitarium24 to join.
aNOMaly
audioslave - shadow of the sun(live)
Dethklok - Castratikron
Metallica - Fade to Black
Led Zeppelin - Stairway to heaven