Hey, I play through a Ibanez 321MH and a Peavey Valve King 112.
I play alot of Power Metal and Shred but also I'm starting to play jazz fusion and folk.

I'd like to replace the pickups in my Ibanez, and I've been looking around the Dimarzio website, but its all a bit overwhealming with all the choices, any suggestions would be really helpful.

Thanks!
Fraser
Maybe check out some Seymour Duncan Blackouts. I have no personal experience with them but I've only heard good things.

Make sure you try them out first though.
UG's Official Stuffed Toy! Because I am so cuddly wuddly

I LOVE KENSAI
i think your better off with passives
the D-sonic's look amazing im thinking about getting them myself what sort of shred tone you want like ultra smooth and thick and rich or like a biting steve vai type tone oh and what amp do you play
Member No. 002# of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join".
DEAN 79MLF > Fulltone OCD > Keeley TS9DX Flexi > Marshall Sliver Jubilee > Orange PPC 4x12

Actually on re-reading your post. Also look at some Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz.

The JB will be good for your metal playing, but at times get get a bit treble-y.
and the Jazz will do your other stuff nicely. Nice, warm and thick.
UG's Official Stuffed Toy! Because I am so cuddly wuddly

I LOVE KENSAI
Quote by angusslashdime
i think your better off with passives
the D-sonic's look amazing im thinking about getting them myself what sort of shred tone you want like ultra smooth and thick and rich or like a biting steve vai type tone oh and what amp do you play

I play through a Peavey Valve King 112.
What do you mean by smooth? because I'd always thought Vai had a pretty smooth tone in comparison to say, Alexi Laiho (Children of Bodom) or Luca Turilli (Rhapsody)
well i spose compared to them yeah but actually vai has heaps of tones really i spose well if you like powermetal i was think like along the line of cellador and stuff

edit actually cellador isnt that smooth
Member No. 002# of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join".
DEAN 79MLF > Fulltone OCD > Keeley TS9DX Flexi > Marshall Sliver Jubilee > Orange PPC 4x12

Quote by RaNdoM-FeLiX
Actually on re-reading your post. Also look at some Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz.

The JB will be good for your metal playing, but at times get get a bit treble-y.
and the Jazz will do your other stuff nicely. Nice, warm and thick.

Would I be able to mix the Seymour Duncan Jazz as a neck pickup with the DiMarzio D-sonic as a bridge pickup that angusslashdime suggested? .
After checking out all the pickups, I really like all the tone samples out of the Air Norton for a neck pickup (especially the Rob Balducci - Empress sample, that is some sweet tone right there, and the seraphim samples are also awesome).

For the bridge, I'm not sure weather to go for the Breed, the D-Sonic or the Tone Zone. Any suggestions to which i should go for?

As a side note, do you think that guitar shops would have guitars with these pickups in so i could see what they sounded like? Because when i went last time I dont think that they did...
Last edited by Fraserwatt at Apr 16, 2008,
I've heard DiMarzio D-Activator pickups are supposedly active pickups without being active. Maybe you could try one of those out.
Breeds - Dimarzios best all-rounders by a mile IMO.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by RaNdoM-FeLiX
Maybe check out some Seymour Duncan Blackouts. I have no personal experience with them but I've only heard good things.

Well, I believe that's why "only good things" are heard. Everyone passes around the recommendation on that notion...

Anyway, Breeds would be a good idea. With a roll of the volume knob, they'll clean up well for the softer styles.
Would the Breeds also be suitable for heavier stuff? Like a John Petrucci (Train of Thought -> Now) kinda tone or Gus G from Firewind/Dream Evil, prahaps maybe even a Jari Maenpaa (Wintersun/Ensiferum) tone?

If so, I think I've made up my mind
O Nice!
Many thanks everyone who posted in this thread!!

One last query, after a quick google search, really the only place where I can get them both(living in the uk) from is http://www.thomann.de/

Is this a reliable place to shop?

EDIT: just checking, with my Ibanez RG321 MH, I need the normal version, not the "F Spaced" one, as theres no locking trem or anything.
Last edited by Fraserwatt at Apr 16, 2008,
^No you do need F-spaced; all RGs are. Fenders are F-spaced (originally Fender-spaced) too, and most don't have locking trems. It doesn't really matter that much anyway, they'll sound almost identical.
thomann is fine. it's in germany, and is probably a lot cheaper than trying to get dimarzios in the UK.

For what you want, i'd also consider something like bareknuckle nailbombs, or maybe a swineshead warthog/condor combo.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
After looking around the BKP website & forum, i recon i'll take one for a bridge pickup, they seem to have everything I was looking for, although I havn't quite decided on which model i'll go for.

Would it still sound right having the Dimarzio Air Norton in the neck with one of these pickups?
would i still be able to get those folk and jazz tones out of bare knuckle pickups though, because im looking to really get as much versitility out of em as possible.

Also, whats the difference between open and closed versions of each pickup?
^ yeah, but you'd need to make sure you pick the right models, lol. your best bet is to register and ask on the forum, and also email bareknuckle for advice.

I haven't tried enough BKPs to really advise on specific models.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?