Page 1 of 2
Ok, for media GCSE practise stuff I have to answer a question on what US sitcoms tell us about life in the USA...and I'm stuck...

Any help appreciated!!
seinfeld... greatest show ever made, i suppose it portrays some new yorkers decently
Quote by americnidiot
seinfeld... greatest show ever made, i suppose it portrays some new yorkers decently

"NO SOUP FOR YOU!"
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.
I'm Australian, but the first thing that comes to mind when I think about US sitcoms is canned laughter.
UG's Official Stuffed Toy! Because I am so cuddly wuddly

I LOVE KENSAI
Scrubs is kinda how doctors act...NOT lol....but i guess friends is kinda similar to real life
Listens to Jazz

Quote by Local666Union
each time I piss in the dark I'm afraid that some wierd plant is going to eat my dick

Quote by Jack25
Ok, for media GCSE practise stuff I have to answer a question on what US sitcoms tell us about life in the USA...and I'm stuck...

Any help appreciated!!

Americans are idiots.
Quote by mr_hankey
Americans are idiots.

Then I would have to say dump all of those fine American products you have listed in your sig. Would like to say more but I'm an American and am incapable of forming coherent sentences.

American sitcoms portray US life about as well as Monty Python portrays British society
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Last edited by Jackal58 at Apr 15, 2008,
Quote by mr_hankey
Americans are idiots.

Thank you, now I have changed my view completely on 300 million people because of your thoughtful 3 words.

Oh yeah, nice rig, brought you by the Americans. I guess they can't make guitars either since they are as you so nicely put it 'idiots'.
Quote by Jackal58
American sitcoms portray US life about as well as Monty Python portrays British society

So you agree with me? It doesn't require a brain to watch and find an American sitcom funny. Taking your example, Monty Python is on a whole different level: it's actually clever (most of the time).

Quote by MrGuitar123
Oh yeah, nice rig, brought you by the Americans. I guess they can't make guitars either since they are as you so nicely put it 'idiots'.

And if you want to take that as an example, sure. My Japanese copy of the '76 Stratocaster is better than the real American thing. Besides, this is about the modern American.
Last edited by mr_hankey at Apr 15, 2008,
Everyone says "Hey" simultaneously when someone enters the room.

Fuck you, Friends. Fuck you.
Quote by its_alive
rich_sg, I promote you to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. of the Pit. way to speak your opinion.

Quote by ErnieBallfists
RICH_SG you are a filthy person for accusing me of dirty trolling , you are a stiff coconut
^^
I love that show.

Also, My Wife And Kids own everything.
UG's Official Stuffed Toy! Because I am so cuddly wuddly

I LOVE KENSAI
it depends on what your looking at. many of them make jokes about stupidity like family guy kinda showing that there is a lot of stupidity in america. Malcom in the middle shows the neurotic stressed out lifestyle that is the american household. but to be honest with you i think you should tell your teacher to shove it. America is an extremley diverse place that cant be explained in a sitcom or even all the ****ing sticoms.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Quote by mr_hankey
So you agree with me? It doesn't require a brain to watch and find an American sitcom funny. Taking your example, Monty Python is on a whole different level: it's actually clever (most of the time).

And if you want to take that as an example, sure. My Japanese copy of the '76 Stratocaster is better than the real American thing. Besides, this is about the modern American.

i think hes being sarcastic hes saying american sitcoms dont potray american society and monty python doesnt potray british society allthough it gives hints at some of the culture. Family Guy isnt always stupid, many of the jokes involve history or politics which someone without a brain (many of my friends) dont get.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqhlQfXUk7w&feature=related
-the highest form of humor, indeed
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
4)??????
Quote by mr_hankey

also saying your japenese strat is better than your american is like saying yngwie malmsteen is better than dimebag darrel, yea no ****ing **** the japenese are better at making stuff than pretty much anyone. But that doesnt mean american strats are bad. Otherwise, sell that mother****er.
The Mitch Clem formula
4)??????
Quote by mr_hankey

Do I agree with you? No. Your statement was "Americans are idiots". I don't think America has cornered the market on idiocy. Ran into my fair share in the Netherlands.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Fuzzbox91
also saying your japenese strat is better than your american is like saying yngwie malmsteen is better than dimebag darrel, yea no ****ing **** the japenese are better at making stuff than pretty much anyone.

A: No.
B. Wtf?

Quote by Jackal58
Do I agree with you? No. Your statement was "Americans are idiots". I don't think America has cornered the market on idiocy. Ran into my fair share in the Netherlands.

I think you can agree many (if not most) American sitcoms appear to be aimed at idiots. Given that there are so many of these sitcoms, I guess it's fair to assume that there is a relatively big demand for it. So, putting one and one together; I conclude that Americans are idiots.

I of course know not all Americans are idiots, just like I know that stupidity isn't exclusive to the US. If I only watched TV all day, I might think differently (or not at all).
Last edited by mr_hankey at Apr 15, 2008,
Quote by mr_hankey
A: No.
B. Wtf?

I think you can agree many (if not most) American sitcoms appear to be aimed at idiots. Given that there are so many of these sitcoms, I guess it's fair to assume that there is a relatively big demand for it. So, putting one and one together; I conclude that Americans are idiots.

I of course know not all Americans are idiots, just like I know that stupidity isn't exclusive to the US. If I only watched TV all day, I might think differently (or not at all).

I would guess if we all generalized a country of people by only what we hear and not by what we experience youre country would be a slut bangin,pot smokin,dyke fixin,tulip growin,little place. I'm sure it isn't.
Quote by mr_hankey

Had your statement been "American sitcoms are for idiots" or something along those lines I would have ignored it or maybe even agreed slightly. But putting one and one together to arrive at that conclusion is the same as me saying Brits are "quite fond of buying dead parrots" so they must be idiots as well.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by tymatt67
I would guess if we all generalized a country of people by only what we hear and not by what we experience youre country would be a slut bangin,pot smokin,dyke fixin,tulip growin,little place. I'm sure it isn't.

But that's what this thread is about, isn't it? Otherwise, +1

And it's not my country.
I guess you got a good point. And honestly I'm just jelous we cant get away with smokin and bangin sluts. American government may be run buy idots.
Im American, and I dont like to think that we are a stupid country. I dont know what Americans you know, but most of my friends and family are really quite smart and educated. Of course you have the occassional dumbass, but Im sure that the Netherlands have their fair share of idiots.

Besides, being Scottish by citizenship, I visit Scotland very often and trust me, I have run into more than my fair share of idiots.

Ok, with that aside, most US sitcoms dont portray our lifestyle well at all. And many of our sitcoms arent completely idiotic, like Scrubs and the Office (ok, maybe Scrubs is a little idiotic)
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
Does it tell us that Americans live in a humourless void?

nah, i'm kidding, i like Scrubs.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by tymatt67

not to meantion they dont like donuts, or getting water spilled on them
The Mitch Clem formula
4)??????
I like 30 Rock and Pushing Daisies was really good the other day. Not strictly a sitcom though, like My Name Is Earl. I think My Name Is Earl would be a good one to look at actually, as it's about someone's views changing and personal revelations etc.
Scrubs FTW!
:
Quote by malachifivebass
you cant make a male musician choose music or sex, its like asking a fat man twinkie or brownie

Quote by iamnotrabid
Quote by metdethslaythrx
Naomi
it's "I moan" backwards
No, it's I maon.

Phail

I WILL one day rule the world, Pm me with the position you want and Ill see if it is open.
The Sopranos. Yeah.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Quote by Fuzzbox91
i think hes being sarcastic hes saying american sitcoms dont potray american society and monty python doesnt potray british society allthough it gives hints at some of the culture. Family Guy isnt always stupid, many of the jokes involve history or politics which someone without a brain (many of my friends) dont get.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqhlQfXUk7w&feature=related
-the highest form of humor, indeed

I believe that that sketch had the purpose of demonstration the uselessness of of the British ministries but that is just how i see it
Raise Your Hand If you Like:

3 inches of blood
Amon Amarth
Coheed and Cambria
Death Cab For Cutie
Every Time I Die
I Killed the Prom Queen
In Flames
Pride Tiger

My cousins band from Vancouver-NWOBCHM- myspace.com/scarstruckmetalband
man, i forgot how easy gcses were. This is the sort of thing I'd ace with no effort whatsoever.
Anyway, do something on Friends (the earlier seasons). It tells you a lot about them. They're realistic people with jobs and you have some who are spoilt/rich; some who work in dead end jobs and they're all either working/middle class. The only ones with big aspirations are joey and rachel and they appear to be going nowhere at first.
Anyway, story cut short, no matter how bad they have it, they've still got each other. No matter where they lived, they'd still be friends and that sort of interaction would occur anywhere in the world. Therefore, anything that makes them argue would make it easy to define it as their lifestyle.
Also, you can tell a lot from the American "ranks" where you start of poor and with crappy jobs and you eventually work yourself up. It can happen to anyone.
There's also the idea of the "american dream" where joey has aspirations to be big and famous.
There's also the idea of a nuclear family where they all start getting married and having children. Adoption is in there somewhere too.
There's also a lack of religion in the show. America's generally seen as quite religious but this shows another aspect.
You have the educated people who earn more money. This causes a rift.
You have someone who grew up on the streets and someone who was spoilt.
There's lots to say about this show. Just turn e4 on now.
Watch Everybody loves Raymond, and you will see that everyone loves a guy called Raymond. Also watch Frasier.
TRANSFORMICE

i wouldn't say the sitcoms themselves show us anything really about society - they wouldn't be funny if the were a complete mirror for everyday life. but you can definitely tell stuff about the american sense of humour, and perhaps characters with whom they identify.
Member of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Last.fm
Quote by mr_hankey

I was just saying you cannot generalize all americans as the same. Yeah sure there are dumbasses just like in any other country. Stupidity knows no nationality or race, its just people being stupid.

Also do you truly believe all Americans are stupid? or are you just trolling, if your trolling you got me but if not, refer to that question.
Does Family Guy and Simpsons go under the file as a sitcom? Even though its drawed?

According to Jim
Everybody Lovese Raymond
King Of Queens
Two and a half Men
Friends
That 70's Show

I like sitcoms
Page 1 of 2