Can i undo the locking nut at the neck and use it like that if i change tunings alot? sorry i checked the stickies and couldn't find anything.

So basically undoing the nut at the neck to use like a regular guitar with ease of tuning.

ESP f-250 is what i use.
yeah i used to have an ibanez rg350dx i used to do that a lot. locking tremolos in my opinion are too much work i like that it stays in tune but I change tuning a lot so it was a pain to me.
epic chef...

you can do what your suggesting, but it will mess the set up of your guitar up. The floyd rose trem works like a very delicate balancing act between guitar strings and trem springs (loaded into the back of you guitar body) and changing the tuning of the guitar with a floyd rose (because of the change in string tension and therefore the balancing act) will cause the trem to either protude too far from the body, or sit too close to the body, it might look like its been sunk too far into the guitar.

if the trem is too far away from the guitar it will higher the action and conversly, if it sits too close, it will lower the action - it will prob mess with your intonation aswell.

the only way to use alternate tunings with a (functional) floyd rose is to have a different guitar for every tuning you use and set it up specifically for that tuning by adjusting the spring tension to match that of the tension provided by the now slackened or tightened strings - sorry :-(

the other way round it is to lock the trem up. Open the back of your guitar and cut 2 pieces of wood to perfectly slot into the cavities front and back of the trem, youll prob need to remove the springs to do it, but make sure you put em back or therell be nothing to tension the trem and itll prob fall off the guitar when you start restringing it.

for this reason alone, I sold my floyd rose and will never own one again - my advice would be to sell up and buy something with a fixed bridge or a wilkenson trem maybe, like a schecter or a PRS or maybe a gibson.

do you really need the floyd rose anyway ????

peace

G
Last edited by hippyheaven1 at Apr 15, 2008,
Unlocking the nut with adversely affect tuning stability. Also, when you change tunings your bridge will shift thus causing more tuning instability.

Regardless, changing tunings will be a pain in the ass. You can't just down/uptune one string on a floating bridge and expect the others not to be affected. Practice tuning the system might mitigate some of this downtime.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Quote by Epic_chef
Can i undo the locking nut at the neck and use it like that if i change tunings alot? sorry i checked the stickies and couldn't find anything.

So basically undoing the nut at the neck to use like a regular guitar with ease of tuning.

ESP f-250 is what i use.

Not really - if you change tunings then don't get a floyd, simple as...it's not worth the hassle, other people have explained why.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com