i'm thinking of selling this. its a 1981 fender bullet, its made in the USA, two single coils (i rewired it so that the middle position is in series rather than in parallel), one piece metal bridge/scratchplate. everything is original, except for the cloth wire i used to rewire it. the neck on it is basically amazing. there are theories that these necks are left over pre-CBS telecaster necks or something. its certainly plausible, as it plays wonderfully and the features suggest it could be (truss rod adjustment at heel, no skunk stripe, what appear to be vintage klusons, though i am no expert), but i wouldn't want to say with any certainty. either way, it is a wonderful neck which can be set up with very, very low action without any fret buzz (i used to have it set up with the saddles resting on the body, as low as they could physically go, though i've now got a slightly higher action as that is what i prefer).

it is a very, very nice guitar. it plays wonderfully and sounds great to my ears. obviously, this raises the question of why i want to sell it. in truth, i'm not really desperate to. basically, i fancy a change. i like this guitar, but i'm lusting after a '62 reissue tele or something similar, and to afford that i have to sell this.

in terms of wear, it has some discolouration on one point of the pickguard and a small chip near the strap button, which gets covered up by the strap anyway. it is also missing one of the small grub screws which are used to adjust the saddles, but this doesn't affect the guitar in terms of playing, as a combination of using the remaining screw on that saddle and the other saddles around it keep it in the required position. it has been gigged by me a few times (i couldn't say if the previous owner has, but i don't think so), and the condition is pretty awesome for a 27 year old guitar.

if you want it, i'm looking for £320, including shipping, the original hardshell case (this is unusual, most either don't have one anymore or the case is damaged), the original strap and a small allen key to adjust the bridge saddles (this might sound odd, but it took me several months to find one small enough; i even contacted fender who did not have a clue what was needed). i think this is a fair price. it reflects the market value (there are listings on ebay for the same guitar without the original parts and without the hard shell case and in worse condition on ebay for more than i am asking for), it reflects the fact that the value of this guitar is only going to continue to rise as people's perceptions of what counts as vintage shift, it reflects the fact that i would defy anyone to get a USA made fender for cheaper in the uk, and it reflects the fact that i am not desperate to sell. if no-one is interested i'll happily keep playing it.

if anyone would like any further information or further pictures, i would be happy to oblige, although i won't be able to give you any pictures or tell you the serial number until sometime around the weekend, as its currently at my singer's house.

thanks,

matt

my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Last edited by Gurgle!Argh! at Apr 16, 2008,
*smacks head against desk*

that thing is beautiful, if I wasn't saving money for Uni I'd be all over it.
That thing is beautiful, If I hadn't just bought a new guitar I'd have that.

But lemme get this straight, when you flick to the middle position, both pickups are engaged, doubling the power?
well, normally the middle position activates both pickups in parallel (like a strat in position 2 or 4, or a tele in middle position). however, i've rewired it to be in series. it gives a chunkier, more powerful tone, makes it behave a little more like a humbucker. its not quite the same, but it helps you get a more powerful sound, which is nice if, like me, you're not usually a fan of middle positions.

and thank you for the nice comments about it, its a lovely guitar, and i almost feel i shouldn't be looking to sell it, but i guess i just fancy a change...
Last edited by Gurgle!Argh! at Apr 15, 2008,
if anyone is interested in this i would also be interested in trades (possibly with cash added either way) either with a fender telecaster (thinline or maybe a japanese one or anything particularly interesting) or with valve amps, i'm on the lookout at the moment for perhaps something by orange or one of the small mesa combos (subway rocket, rocket 44, studio 22), but i'm open to all sorts of things if you have anything that interests me.
bump bump bump in case people ain't seen this. as said above, open to interesting trades. tell me what you got and i'll tell you what i think.

if there is interest i'll stick some more pictures up. guitar is still at the singer's house because we had a few gigs and he lives closer and i am a lazy, lazy person. but if people want pictures i'll go and pick it up. and if they don't then i'll probably get some anyway.

nb: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180157712825&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=008 is the only other one i can find for sale. it costs over £60 more and it isn't as good; more wear, non original tuners and pots. some might call those things upgrades. they'd be wrong. this thing has lovely kluson deluxe tuners which keep great tune, and pots which work. not a lot i can think of to say about them except that.
Last edited by Gurgle!Argh! at Apr 27, 2008,
one of the 'deluxe' models went for over £360 shipped http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300215741797&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=020

some might say they are better. i don't know personally. i think they're less distinctive, as they don't have the strange pickguard/bridge thing going on. also, the guy selling it is clearly a liar; if its been sitting in a closet for 25 years, why doesn't it still have the original hard shell case? lame.

anyway. yeah. this is still out there.
i'm probably going to put this on ebay pretty soon. it'll be set for a higher price than i'm asking for here though, to cover the costs. so if you want it, you should probably speak up soon.